128 replies to this topic

#101 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 05:19 PM

We would get a pretty penny for Lamar. No worries at all if we decide to go that route

If that's the way they go, I'd be contacting Houston about their 2 first rounders this year as a starting point.

#102 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,400 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 05:25 PM

You may very well be right, but I'm still not so sure. I'd be plenty worried.

As Mack said yesterday, beating the two 1sts it would take if you put the non exclusive tag is a given. I wont speculate on exactly what the minimum would be but it would be more than that.

#103 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 05:28 PM

As Mack said yesterday, beating the two 1sts it would take if you put the non exclusive the is a given. I wont speculate on exactly what the minimum would be but it would be more than that.

Provided, of course, that someone is going to be willing to give him a fully-guaranteed contract. The only advantage I see for the Ravens right now is the lack of a no-trade clause, something both DeShaun Watson and Russell Wilson had and leveraged it accordingly.

#104 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 05:42 PM

Jets reportedly already announcing their interest in Lamar Jackson. According to the report, they view him as a wild card, and if he became available, would be willing to offer "a very, very, very compelling offer."

Be nice if it waited until the official offseason. But good to know we won't be completely devoid of options.

Let the bidding war begin!

I’d sacrifice a couple slots in the draft to trade him to an NFC team. Just incase.
@BSLMikeRandall

#105 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 07:51 PM

If the Ravens are forced to go the trade route, the Jets are exactly the kind of team that makes perfect sense. They're essentially a QB away from being legit contenders, and they've already whiffed on a #2 overall pick at the position. They're not in a great position to take another swing at it in the 2023 draft either, which is risky and potentially wasting the roster they've already constructed anyway. That makes almost too much sense in this scenario.

I don't think it makes much sense for a team like Houston to trade for Lamar as opposed to drafting a top rookie when they've got #2 overall. They still suck and need the draft capital and cap space to continue improving their team. It would be a great scenario for the Ravens, and EDC should do his due diligence, but that one seems like more of a longshot.

#106 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:04 PM

Personally, if you're going to trade Lamar anywhere, it's out of conference. ZERO chance I'd make a deal that sends him to another AFC team.  That said, I think he gets franchise tagged and then it goes from there. He's out of all non-mandatory activities for the off-season, and we'll see how hardline he is once training camp starts. That's my guess of how this will play out...

#107 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:07 PM

I guess I'm in the minority who think they're going to get it done this offseason. I've said it before, I really don't want to see what this team looks like without him. 

#108 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:37 PM

I guess I'm in the minority who think they're going to get it done this offseason. I've said it before, I really don't want to see what this team looks like without him.

I'm with you. My preference is that they do get it done. But, their is also the reality that a trade is very possible as well.

#109 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:40 PM

Personally, if you're going to trade Lamar anywhere, it's out of conference. ZERO chance I'd make a deal that sends him to another AFC team. That said, I think he gets franchise tagged and then it goes from there. He's out of all non-mandatory activities for the off-season, and we'll see how hardline he is once training camp starts. That's my guess of how this will play out...

Eh, IF I were being forced to trade him, I'm taking the absolute best deal regardless. If someone like Houston or the Jets offer something crazy stupid, it's hard to not take it. Imagine Houston offering 4+ firsts, 2+ seconds, and multiple later picks. Not realistic, but in a hypothetical like this, he's staying in the AFC.

#110 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:51 PM

I'm actually reaching the point where I'm beginning to think they'll look at re-signing him because they won't get an offer that helps them reload the position in a way they're satisfied with.

I don't think I'd trade him if I'm not getting a deal that I can leverage into Young or Stroud, or get similar value elsewhere. Something tells me the Jets offer will be this year's first, next year's first, and Zach Wilson. No thanks.

#111 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,400 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:55 PM

I'm actually reaching the point where I'm beginning to think they'll look at re-signing him because they won't get an offer that helps them reload the position in a way they're satisfied with.

I don't think I'd trade him if I'm not getting a deal that I can leverage into Young or Stroud, or get similar value elsewhere. Something tells me the Jets offer will be this year's first, next year's first, and Zach Wilson. No thanks.

HedgeGuy 2.0.

#112 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:57 PM

Either way I hope they draft a qb this coming draft. It's  time to work on a contingency plan for the position.

#113 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,299 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:59 PM

You go with the best offer. Who cares if he winds up with a team in the AFC?

#114 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:00 PM

Either way I hope they draft a qb this coming draft. It's time to work on a contingency plan for the position.

Yep, absolutely. Even if he's resigned.

#115 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:00 PM

Either way I hope they draft a qb this coming draft. It's time to work on a contingency plan for the position.

If you're talking a Day 3 pick to replace Huntley, fine. But can't use a Day 1 or 2 pick on a QB if Lamar is under contract. If he's tagged, then sure.

#116 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:01 PM

HedgeGuy 2.0.

Say what you want. I've been calling that they would find themselves in this situation, and that a Lamar trade was very possible, since middle of the 2021 season. I got laughed at and trashed up and down the board (much like you are on the Orioles forum lately), and yet here we are.

#117 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:02 PM

Partially why I keep bringing up Houston. Get the 2nd pick and take the guy the first team to pick doesn't take. I feel Young and Stroud are not too far apart. IF they chose to go the trade and restart route.

A lot of teams should certainly be willing to throw their hats into the ring for a QB of Lamar's ability. Just a matter of matching up with the right team.

#118 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:04 PM

Partially why I keep bringing up Houston. Get the 2nd pick and take the guy the first team to pick doesn't take. I feel Young and Stroud are not too far apart. IF they chose to go the trade and restart route.

A lot of teams should certainly be willing to throw their hats into the ring for a QB of Lamar's ability. Just a matter of matching up with the right team.

I think its actually very likely the 2nd pick has their choice of either guy unless Chicago trades down. They aren't moving on from Fields. The play really might be to get enough to trade to Chicago for pick 1-1.

#119 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:14 PM

I think its actually very likely the 2nd pick has their choice of either guy unless Chicago trades down. They aren't moving on from Fields. The play really might be to get enough to trade to Chicago for pick 1-1.

I will be very surprised if Chicago is the team making the first pick. Unless Will Anderson or Jalen Carter have a historic combine that makes them impossible to not take at number 1. Too many QB needy teams within striking range of the first pick. Indy, Houston, Seattle, Detroit, Carolina, Jets and Tennessee all in the top 12. Any one of them could come up with enough ammo to pull the trigger if they fall on love with Stroud or Young.

#120 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:21 PM

I will be very surprised if Chicago is the team making the first pick. Unless Will Anderson or Jalen Carter have a historic combine that makes them impossible to not take at number 1. Too many QB needy teams within striking range of the first pick. Indy, Houston, Seattle, Detroit, Carolina, Jets and Tennessee all in the top 12. Any one of them could come up with enough ammo to pull the trigger if they fall on love with Stroud or Young.

Probably so. I actually don't think that Seattle or Detroit will make a play for 1-1, or Lamar. Houston, Indy, Carolina, NYJ, and Tennessee are probably all in the mix. I could see a scenario where one trades the house to get Lamar, and the Ravens turn those picks into 1-1.

Of course to do that, they would have to prefer Lamar to one of the top rookies. That's no guarantee given the coat and injury difference.

I guess we'll see. I could be wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=