#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 January 2023 - 11:34 AM

I actually think there's a lot to look forward too.  I can't read the article, but I don't really have much issue with notion there are a bunch of things to look forward too.

1) Rutschman and Henderson development

2) A fast, athletic team, led by guys like Mullins and Mateo

3) A good bullpen, led by the Mountain (I still say "Colorado")

4) Should be a fun, competitive team with a measurable shot at the Playoffs

5) Seeing how far GRod and maybe Hall can come this year

6) DR facility should finish this year (I tihnk)

They still get a D for the offseason and the real issue is everyone was sold something that materially isn't happening.  We never had to lose to get to this exact point.  If this was a transition season from modestly competitive teams to this younger version,  they still could have done more, but if you competed for the playoffs the last 4 years, even if you never made it...then ok, we're here, build from here.

We could have competed the last 4 years, had a B+ offseason and things would look brighter for Playoff opportunity.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 January 2023 - 11:36 AM

Those 5 things could all be alluded to before this off season began. Not interested in fluff pieces designed to get fans off their backs for doing nothing with this opportunity.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 11:46 AM

Those 5 things could all be alluded to before this off season began. Not interested in fluff pieces designed to get fans off their backs for doing nothing with this opportunity.

Should tell you there should be optimism around the club despite having a D grade offseason so far.

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 January 2023 - 11:48 AM

Should tell you there should be optimism around the club despite having a D grade offseason so far.

That isn’t the point. This article could’ve been dated September of 2022. Nothing has changed. And that will always piss me off. It should you too.

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 January 2023 - 11:51 AM

Fair enough.  I'm not sure this piece was intended as a defense of the offseason, but ok.  

They lied to everyone from the beginning because it was never about winning (rebuilding never is, anywhere) and now all those that defend it have to mitigate their positions.

We had a discussion back in 2018 (I think) about % opportunity to make the playoffs...this Organization was never going to be a "95% chance" without some fringe results coming into play. Would you rather have

A) 0, 0,0, 95, 95, 95

B) 10, 15, 12, 20, 25

some wanted to believe A) is a thing.  It never was.  Now we hear the same excuses "the AL East is tough", etc to lower the standards.  You start off selling how we're going to have a Championship team for a long time, but it's never 'rebuilding' that gets you there....and for the Orioles specifically, they were never really going to operate in that way.  

My B+ offseason should have been fairly centered in what was available/achievable for this crew...and we still get a D in year 5.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#8 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 11:51 AM

That isn’t the point. This article could’ve been dated September of 2022. Nothing has changed. And that will always piss me off. It should you too.

Agreed

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 12:08 PM

I havent read it so maybe it will? No one is happy about the moves made this offseason

#10 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 January 2023 - 01:08 PM

I havent read it so maybe it will? No one is happy about the moves made this offseason

Apparently the FO is or they would have done something.

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 01:20 PM

Apparently the FO is or they would have done something.

I believe they have struck out and to a man Elias is likely disappointed with how the offseason has gone. If you want to be critical of him for not taking the extra step(s) to do what it takes to secure some better additions I think thats fair but he has made the choice not to go all in to secure a guy like Bassitt or Tailion

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 January 2023 - 01:21 PM

There’s literally zero basis for thinking that but whatever. We’ve been through this.

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 January 2023 - 01:30 PM

It’s ownership.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 01:43 PM

There’s literally zero basis for thinking that but whatever. We’ve been through this.

WHich part. THat Elias is disappointed in the offseason? Are you contending he didnt  try to do better. I disagree completely but there is really know way of knowing. As I said, he could have gone all in on a guy. If thats your argument then I dont disagree he could have done that. Doesn't mean he isnt disappointed at doing better without having to go all in.

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 01:45 PM

It’s ownership.

Ultimately we all know this. The hope is the ownership issue can be resolved in the next 3 -5 years.

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 January 2023 - 01:46 PM

I agree it is ownership, but I feel Elias deserves at least some of the blame.  We have spent somewhere around 24 million for parts.  I would rather have spent that much on one good starter or bat.

As for the article the only thing that I read was the last part.  Where is the extension and where do we stand on the 800 million the Orioles could get to improve the facilities.

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@mikeghg

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 January 2023 - 01:52 PM

Ultimately we all know this. THe hope is the ownership issue can be resolved in the next 3 -5 years.

Once they’re done suing each other and Pete dies I really hope they sell.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#18 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 01:55 PM

I look forward to seeing Gunnar and G-Rod and Stowers and Bradish and Hall, and pretty much most of the young guys playing.  I look forward to Means returning, hopefully at full strength.  I look forward to having the Angelos family lawsuit completed - hopefully leading toward a sale of the team to new owners (non-Angelos).  

I don't expect an above .500 w/l record - if that they finish above .500 it will be surprising.  I don't expect the front office to spend much money or give multi-year contracts to anyone (even current young stars) until the Angelos family lawsuit is over, and probably not until new owners take over. 

• You Play to Win the Game, Mike B and BaltBird 24 like this

#19 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 January 2023 - 01:56 PM

I agree it is ownership, but I feel Elias deserves at least some of the blame.  We have spent somewhere around 24 million for parts.  I would rather have spent that much on one good starter or bat.

As f`or the article the only thing that I read was the last part.  Where is the extension and where do we stand on the 800 million the Orioles could get to improve the facilities.

Bingo!! One good quality starter or bat would have had more potential to improve the team than the dumb moves he did make and maybe by a fair margin.

• Mike B likes this

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 January 2023 - 02:01 PM

Bingo!! One good quality starter or bat would have had more potential to improve the team than the dumb moves he did make and maybe by a fair margin.

I worry that Elias and the Stat pack believe that they can fix players, instead of getting a better quality.  I do believe there are guys they can help, but trying to develop 30 year old players IMO, is a lot different than developing a 20 year old player.  

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=