578 replies to this topic

#541 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 02:58 PM

Can I call John Harbaugh a brainless ninny muggins that should have been fired at least a year ago? Or is that too personal?

#542 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 03:27 PM

Can I call John Harbaugh a brainless ninny muggins that should have been fired at least a year ago? Or is that too personal?

It's starting to remind me of the whole Marvin Lewis saga in Cincinnati, although Harbaugh's post season record is certainly much better. Lewis just stayed way too long and despite a handful of good years, the whole scene just became stale and redundant. That's what I'm beginning to feel is going on in Baltimore.  Good enough to make the play-offs most years but never really has any chance at a Super Bowl. 2022 is no different.  How many years does he get to use the "injuries are what ruined us" card?  He really should consider himself lucky that Bisciotti is a rare owner that doesn't like making changes.  Otherwise, he would have been gone years ago. Stability is fine but not if it's regurgitating the same narrative year after year.  He's been a good coach but I think it's time to move on. Not that it will happen of course.  I guess Steve has bought into the whole "we just have to get better every week" nonsense.   

• Tranquil1 likes this

#543 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 03:41 PM

Just three carries for Edwards. Was he hurt or something

Jonas Shaffer

@jonas_shaffer
John Harbaugh said he was not happy to see Gus Edwards get just three carries Sunday.

"Gus should've played more. ... Really, no excuse for that."
2:39 PM · Jan 2, 2023

https://twitter.com/...997736178221062

Too bad he's not the one in charge or something. 

• BSLChrisStoner, Mackus, NewMarketSean and 3 others like this

#544 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 January 2023 - 04:07 PM

Jonas Shaffer
@jonas_shaffer
John Harbaugh said he was not happy to see Gus Edwards get just three carries Sunday.

As someone who's erred on the side of being a Harbaugh supporter, this has left me speechless. This is a mind boggling remark from the head coach.
  • BSLChrisStoner, Mackus and Tranquil1 like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#545 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 04:17 PM

Jonas Shaffer
@jonas_shaffer

He's just like the rest of us. Just a spectator, but with a much higher salary and a better seat.

#546 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 02 January 2023 - 04:24 PM

20 carries between Dobbins and Edwards(17/3). Not enough and I don't know about the rest of you but I've had my fill of Huntley running with the ball and averaging 3 yards a carry. He's not Lamar Jackson. Enough is enough, Greg.

Only 48 offensive plays total, 28 were runs; assuming 4 passes on the last "drive" and 4 others absolutely necessary due to down and distance, the ratio is very reasonable. Again, like Jamie (I think) said, the choice of where to run the ball seemed odd - right into the stacked line. I agree they should be run dominant, and also do not expect Huntley to match Lamar on designed runs, so decrease those, but overall, our lines just got beat.

#547 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,351 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 04:24 PM

I think if he was that concerned with it in game he wouldve said something. THink he is being a players coach with this comment. Had no problem feeding JK. Hes the more explosive back. He worked hard for those yards. I dont think Gus would've helped much with what Pitt was doing.

#548 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 02 January 2023 - 04:32 PM

I think if he was that concerned with it in game he wouldve said something. THink he is being a players coach with this comment. Had no problem feeding JK. Hes the more explosive back. He worked hard for those yards. I dont think Gus would've helped much with what Pitt was doing.

Gus is the power guy, and with the middle ridiculously clogged and the OL not at their best, I think that's correct for this game.

#549 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 04:44 PM

Gus is the power guy, and with the middle ridiculously clogged and the OL not at their best, I think that's correct for this game.

I still think 3 carries is a ridiculously small sample regardless of what Pittsburgh wanted to do up front.  The overall carries relative to the amount of plays would have changed if they had gotten more first downs.  I'll go with Harbs on this one..."really no excuse." 

#550 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 04:59 PM

He did tonight. Certainly his best game.

He made one good throw. Lord, you sound like Collinsworth. He completed 55% of his passes, and threw for 168 yards on 27 attempts. He was mediocre at best.

#551 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 05:01 PM

He's just like the rest of us. Just a spectator, but with a much higher salary and a better seat.

Really, the way he runs his teams is genius. He let's the coordinators run the show for their side of the ball. He just facilitates and makes the tough decisions. The way he does it, the blame always goes to the coordinator.

#552 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 05:10 PM

Been saying it for years. He admits to not getting involved in the play calling. And I totally understand not being one to micromanage play after play, otherwise you don't need a coordinator.

But you can and SHOULD be involved in dictating overall scheme, goals, increasing or decreasing certain packages, etc. I don't think Gus was on field for a snap until maybe their first redzone entry, and he didn't touch the ball while Huntley and Isabella each got a carry. Then of course he came off the field on 3rd down.

The delay of game penalties. The alignment issues and late grouping changes that I've seen Mark Andrews reacting about. The disappearance of their best skill possession players from the game plan for large stretches or full games. Plus the "non optimal" defensive coverage schemes he allows near the end of halves.

He might be fantastic Monday thru Saturday. He might treat the players like they want to be treated. He might be a great motivator. All positives, and great qualities.

But when the game starts, by all reasonable observations along with his own admissions that he doesn't inject himself in to the playcalling... it's virtually impossible to my view to see him as anything other than a spectator and cheerleader. There are no Kirby Smart moments where he calls a timeout last second to avoid a disaster (and help the players). He's mostly along for the ride after kickoff. That's inadequate to me. And mind-boggling that it's tolerated by Steve B at this point too.
  • Tranquil1 and jamesdean like this

#553 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 05:12 PM

Also, a healthy Gus Edwards is more than capable of going outside with power. 

#554 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 05:21 PM

A few weeks ago at PIT on 3rd and 3 just outside 2 minutes left, the whole world knew Gus was getting the ball. They still couldn't stop him, and 6 yards later Brown was taking a knee.

Last night the dude gets stuffed twice and then gains only 2 yards, and Roman literally removes him from the game plan.

I'll keep going back to SB 47... Kaepernick and Gore were gashing the Ravens on the ground for large parts of the last 20+ minutes. Gore had 31 yards on two carries to help get them down there. Guess who never touched the ball again? James gained only two on first and goal from the 7, and Roman called three passes to close it out. Who doesn't think that four calls of Gore or Kaep mixing up inside and outside doesn't get them in the endzone at that point? Kaep and Gore ran them back in to the game, yet their final four plays didn't involve either one of them running the ball.

That was Roman. And we still see the same things here now 10 years later...
  • Tranquil1 likes this

#555 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 January 2023 - 05:35 PM

They gave him Nestor’s seat

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#556 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 January 2023 - 05:38 PM

I’d be fairly shocked if Roman was back as OC next year
  • Tranquil1 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#557 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 05:43 PM

Jonas Shaffer
@jonas_shaffer

It's mind-boggling. Maybe the Ravens haven't been clear enough with him what his game day responsibilities include???

#558 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 05:46 PM

I know it's fantasy land thinking, but I'd love to see Sean Payton handed the keys to the coaching staff and work with DeCosta on bringing in the players to fit a style / Lamar.
  • BaltBird 24 and Tranquil1 like this

#559 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 06:11 PM

Also, worth noting, Chuck Clark actually made a play on a thrown ball last night. Shame to lose a game in which Chuck Clark actually made a play that a safety should make once in a while...
  • BaltBird 24 and mdrunning like this

#560 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 06:17 PM

Block button baby baaaabaaay

Yup 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users