578 replies to this topic

#561 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 06:23 PM

Don’t agree with this narrative either. I mean what were they doing before Lamar got hurt?

Scoring more points

#562 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 06:31 PM

Opps, my bad.

forget Carr. I thought he was going to be a free agent. He's signed for the next couple. Garoppolo on the other hand will be a free agent.

Carr will be available this offseason. I'm sure of it and don't hate the idea. The problem is nothing is fixed regardless who's behind center until you get Roman outta here.

• Tranquil1 likes this

#563 Tranquil1

Tranquil1
  • Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrankford, Delaware

Posted 02 January 2023 - 08:05 PM

Carr will be available this offseason. I'm sure of it and don't hate the idea. The problem is nothing is fixed regardless who's behind center until you get Roman outta here.

Ken, agreed 100%.

#564 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 08:30 PM

It's mind-boggling. Maybe the Ravens haven't been clear enough with him what his game day responsibilities include???

To be fair, John spent the majority of his coaching career coaching special teams. It's not like he was heralded as some offensive genius or defensive genius.

I doubt he'd add much positive on either side of the ball if he really tried to have much input.

Not that being a genius means anything, we had one of the least productive passing offenses in the league with offensive genius Brian Billick for a decade almost.

#565 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 08:33 PM

To be fair, John spent the majority of his coaching career coaching special teams. It's not like he was heralded as some offensive genius or defensive genius.

I doubt he'd add much positive on either side of the ball if he really tried to have much input.

Not that being a genius means anything, we had one of the least productive passing offenses in the league with offensive genius Brian Billick for a decade almost.

It's not about being an offensive  or defensive genius to see your coordinator's game plan isn't working and to do something about it. . 

#566 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 08:45 PM

I think Roman's days are most likely numbered unless the Ravens do the impossible in the playoffs.  Harbaugh's comment on Edwards is the third public shot he has taken at Roman in the past several weeks.   He said the ill fated trick play against Denver was the wrong thing to call.  He has publicly said the passing game needs to be fixed, and now this.

The Ravens are either going to play Cincinnati with a rusty Lamar Jackson next week or Tyler Huntley.  Cincy will either be playing for a highest seed or for the division.  Either way I don't think the Ravens can beat them.  Then the first game of the playoffs will likely be again against Cincinnati in Cincinnati or in Buffalo.  Either way looks like another first round exit for the Ravens.  

At that point, I'm pretty sure Roman will be the fall guy this year for the weak offensive production down the stretch.  Really, they should consider getting rid of both coordinators, but most likely MacDonald will get a pass because he was just hired.  The defense has been holding teams to under 20 points, but they were pretty weak offensive teams.  Let's see what they do now because the next two weeks will likely be against upper echelon offenses and I'm betting the defense gets torched.  

#567 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 08:46 PM

It's not about being an offensive or defensive genius to see your coordinator's game plan isn't working and to do something about it. .

I'm not disagreeing. I think he's probably one of the better coaches through the week and on Saturday. Maybe even from the time they wake up until kickoff on Sunday (or Thursday or Monday).

I think once the opening kickoff takes place he's about as useful as any random fan sitting in the stands.
  • cprenegade likes this

#568 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 January 2023 - 08:48 PM

Roman and Stanford also a rumor.

#569 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 08:49 PM

That's always been my main complaint with Harbaugh.  As practice and preparation go, he's right up there with the league's best.  The Ravens are rarely unprepared to play.  But once the game starts it goes down hill.  Seems like the only things Harbaugh really is in charge of during the game are when to go for it on 4th down, and when to call timeout.  And both of those things seem to always cost the Ravens.  

#570 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 08:52 PM

Roman and Stanford also a rumor.

It was reported a while back that Roman is no longer in the running for that job.

#571 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 08:58 PM

Roman is likely gone but if he is not its shows a lack of confidence in Lamar to go with a different offense. Think Collinsworth made a great point last night how the personnel and schemes are all built around Lamar. Roman is the OC because of the type of offense they want to run with Lamar. So, its absolutely a big step to not only pay Lamar but then trust him to excel in a different offense.

#572 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 08:58 PM

Don’t agree with this narrative either. I mean what were they doing before Lamar got hurt?

Well, they were averaging 25 points a game. Since Huntley took over, he got an 85% Dobbins (who has averaged something stupid like 7 YPC) and healthy Edwards, and he's still only averaged 12 points per game.

You can argue against Lamar on a lot. One thing that is very apparent, is how much more efficient the offense is when Lamar is running it vs Huntley.

#573 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 09:04 PM

I'd say it's a safe bet that, assuming no miracle run (AFC championship game or Super Bowl), Roman is probably gone.

#574 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 09:16 PM

I think Roman's days are most likely numbered unless the Ravens do the impossible in the playoffs. 

I'd say it's a safe bet that, assuming no miracle run (AFC championship game or Super Bowl), Roman is probably gone.

I hope you both are right. I have my doubts. I just think it's going to be hard to fire him with Huntley as the QB to end the season again.

#575 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 09:20 PM

I hope you both are right. I have my doubts. I just think it's going to be hard to fire him with Huntley as the QB to end the season again.

Granted, the offense last year and this year was still pretty good (and that's no Dobbins, Edwards, Hill, Stanley last year) and very little time this year with Lamar, Stanley, Dobbins, Edwards, Bateman on the field in any combination together.

I think sometimes things just run their course and Roman's time here has probably just run its course.

#576 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 January 2023 - 09:39 PM

Well, they were averaging 25 points a game. Since Huntley took over, he got an 85% Dobbins (who has averaged something stupid like 7 YPC) and healthy Edwards, and he's still only averaged 12 points per game.

You can argue against Lamar on a lot. One thing that is very apparent, is how much more efficient the offense is when Lamar is running it vs Huntley.

Lamar vs. Huntley wasn’t my point at all. Just that the offense has mostly sucked/been not good enough most of the season IMO.

#577 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 09:45 PM

Ravens scheduled to either play at 1 or 4 on Sunday, depending on whether the AFC North is still up for grabs.  That might change because of the events in the Monday night game tonight.  The game is currently suspended and may not be able to be resumed tonight.  If they have to play tomorrow I wouldn't bet against the NFL flexing the Ravens/Bengals game to Monday to give the Bengals more time after having to play on a Tuesday.  

#578 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 02 January 2023 - 09:47 PM

Ravens scheduled to either play at 1 or 4 on Sunday, depending on whether the AFC North is still up for grabs. That might change because of the events in the Monday night game tonight. The game is currently suspended and may not be able to be resumed tonight. If they have to play tomorrow I wouldn't bet against the NFL flexing the Ravens/Bengals game to Monday to give the Bengals more time after having to play on a Tuesday.

Scary shit. Prayers for this kid Hamlin.
  • cprenegade likes this

#579 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:58 AM

On the 3rd and 5 snap end of Ravens first redzone possession, see attached pic... Andrews, Watkins, and Hill (out of the backfield) all wind up clumped together in one small area.  If this were a snapshot in time before they basically try to pick / rub off DBs for each other and head in different directions, fine.  But it's not... all three of them end up turning "inside" towards the middle of the field.  Not exactly your best bet for creating an open target, when they all go the same general direction and take DBs with them.

That said, it's clear that the entire play was intended for Jackson in the back corner anyway.  Huntley was locked on that one and only read from the second he took the snap.  Which is the problem with him, there's basically only one option for him on every passing play.  So no matter what anyone else did, that throw was going to the back corner. 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=