502 replies to this topic

#461 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:07 AM

Mahomes had a similar stretch last year - so yeah, I'm cooling my jets on not reading too much into these little stretches. They happen for even the best players. I still don't think he's in that Manning/Brady/Mahomes tier like some others here do, but I'm not going to change their minds. There are a lot of Ravens fans perfectly fine being in that 7-10 - 9-8 type range, so long as they have a fun QB to watch.

Mahomes weeks 5-12 last season:

p81Y0tB.png

Vs being what if Lamar isnt the QB?? Btw I think its foolish to have us locked into to 7-10 wins every year anyway

#462 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,501 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:09 AM

Vs being what if Lamar isnt the QB??

You mean the ring they won in each of the two decades preceding Lamar Jackson? Somehow you have been tricked into thinking this organization can't compete without Lamar. 

#463 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,576 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:11 AM

Inconsequential to the game? It was Cooper who caught the negated TD and who committed the OPI.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#464 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,501 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:12 AM

Inconsequential to the game? It was Cooper who caught the negated TD and who committed the OPI.

The OPI was inconsequential to the play. He didn't need to do that to catch the TD. In other words, Brissett and Cooper had Peters and this defense beat, again. Fortunately, Cooper screwed it up with a stupid, needless penalty. I'm thankful for it, Browns gonna Browns. 

#465 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:13 AM

You mean the ring they won in each of the two decades preceding Lamar Jackson? Somehow you have been tricked into thinking this organization can't compete without Lamar.

Dont put words in my mouth. I said last week, I cant tell you the Ravens will be more than mediocre signing Lamar to a long term deal. I also cant tell you drafting the next guy, because it will be a draftee, wont be another hit capable of winning on his rookie contract. Its just that one of them is much more likely to give us a chance to win a title.

#466 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:15 AM

Well, you'd be agreeing with me. I said he wasn't bad. Mackus said he was good.

Ah, my impression from the rating/QBR cite was you thought he was bad, but I missed the further statement.

I don’t think passing was bad or good. Running was good, not big volume but some key plays. I don’t think that adds up to good, even if most QBs probably couldn’t have done the key plays, so yeah I agree with you.

#467 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,576 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:19 AM

Sitting this one out. Sold my tickets for close to face which shocked me lol.

Have fun.

Friends bought tickets in 552 for $58 Saturday afternoon.

Jimmy's tailgate was fun. Amish Outlaws played for an hour which was cool. Food was decent. Probably got my money's worth but not something I'll do more than once in a season.

The crowd got into it late...voice is half there this morning.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#468 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,107 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:19 AM

If Lamar was a QB on any other team, there's no way we'd be looking at these performances and calling them "good," especially to the tune of 50-55 million guaranteed a year.

#469 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,107 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:24 AM

Also, color me unimpressed with the 4th quarter defense. Were it not for the Browns beating themselves with penalties, we're likely staring down the barrel of 3-4 with a 4th double digit 4th quarter lead blown.

#470 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:30 AM

I'm certainly one of those who were calling for more run plays so I'm not disappointed with the total.  Maybe I'm being overly picky but I wish Lamar would stop this standing around with the ball, begging for a sack.  I wish he would just take off when his primary targets are covered.  For someone with his remarkable escape talents and elusiveness, he takes far too many sacks.  Pass protection has been decent this year for the most part but the Browns do have Garrett and Clowney and you need to prepare for pressure because it's definitely coming.  I don't know what the hesitation is with him...is he trying to make a play out of nothing?  Is he so bullheaded to establish himself as an elite passer that he's now passing up those opportunities to pick up huge chunks of yards with his feet?  Is Harbaugh imploring him to stop running as much so he can preserve his health?  Who knows but if you remove that part of Lamar's game, he becomes a lot less dangerous. 

#471 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:33 AM

Also, color me unimpressed with the 4th quarter defense. Were it not for the Browns beating themselves with penalties, we're likely staring down the barrel of 3-4 with a 4th double digit 4th quarter lead blown.

Agree.  The defense, as expected, played poorly in the 4th quarter.  Tackling was atrocious and the Browns had no trouble moving the ball at will.  It's a real mystery why this team can't get off the field late in the games.  Are they so poorly conditioned that they just get tired? I don't know what the reasons are but until proven otherwise, expect more of the same going forward. 

#472 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,873 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 09:08 AM

The defensive series before the missed/block FG was atrocious. Worst of the season, IMO, which is really saying something.

I think the offense did just enough to prevent another collapse. Enough in this case being the wildly low bar of moving the ball a bit and eating some clock before turning it over. Still took a missed long FG to avoid sacrificing the lead.

#473 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,873 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 09:13 AM

I'm certainly one of those who were calling for more run plays so I'm not disappointed with the total. Maybe I'm being overly picky but I wish Lamar would stop this standing around with the ball, begging for a sack. I wish he would just take off when his primary targets are covered. For someone with his remarkable escape talents and elusiveness, he takes far too many sacks. Pass protection has been decent this year for the most part but the Browns do have Garrett and Clowney and you need to prepare for pressure because it's definitely coming. I don't know what the hesitation is with him...is he trying to make a play out of nothing? Is he so bullheaded to establish himself as an elite passer that he's now passing up those opportunities to pick up huge chunks of yards with his feet? Is Harbaugh imploring him to stop running as much so he can preserve his health? Who knows but if you remove that part of Lamar's game, he becomes a lot less dangerous.

I complained about a couple sacks in the first half or maybe early 3rd quarter where I thought he could've gotten rid of it. I don't think there was a positive escape to be made, just the prevention of a negative.

Other than those, he played completely mistake-free, IMO. He had a couple really nice plays on the ground. The only impressive pass was the first one to Duvernay, but no missed throws at any point that I recall.

It was a very different approach. They didn't ask him to be Superman like they usually do. He did everything asked yesterday. We'll need him to do a lot more while also preventing the mistakes moving forward, but didn't need that yesterday.

#474 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 09:23 AM

I'm certainly one of those who were calling for more run plays so I'm not disappointed with the total.  Maybe I'm being overly picky but I wish Lamar would stop this standing around with the ball, begging for a sack.  I wish he would just take off when his primary targets are covered.  For someone with his remarkable escape talents and elusiveness, he takes far too many sacks.  Pass protection has been decent this year for the most part but the Browns do have Garrett and Clowney and you need to prepare for pressure because it's definitely coming.  I don't know what the hesitation is with him...is he trying to make a play out of nothing?  Is he so bullheaded to establish himself as an elite passer that he's now passing up those opportunities to pick up huge chunks of yards with his feet?  Is Harbaugh imploring him to stop running as much so he can preserve his health?  Who knows but if you remove that part of Lamar's game, he becomes a lot less dangerous. 

Like I said last week, I'll be screaming at the tv for him to run. My girlfriend even did it a couple of times yesterday. Our kids thought we were losing our minds  :mrgreen:

• jamesdean likes this

#475 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 09:25 AM

The defensive series before the missed/block FG was atrocious. Worst of the season, IMO, which is really saying something.

I think the offense did just enough to prevent another collapse. Enough in this case being the wildly low bar of moving the ball a bit and eating some clock before turning it over. Still took a missed long FG to avoid sacrificing the lead.

Obviously the result is all that matters and ultimately the next to last drive ended in a turnover but I thought the offense did a pretty damn good job of stemming the tide late. A couple of long drives. Only 3 points so again that sucks but they put together two sustained drives when they needed it.

• jamesdean likes this

#476 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 09:49 AM

Like I said last week, I'll be screaming at the tv for him to run. My girlfriend even did it a couple of times yesterday. Our kids thought we were losing our minds  :mrgreen:

Someone mentioned yesterday that he was dealing with a hip issue.  Not sure where they got that information because I never read anything about it.  

#477 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,873 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 09:54 AM

I still think that Lamar and whatever you can build around him with 80% of the remaining cap is a more likely path to the type of roster that it takes to compete for championships than 100% of the cap available, a couple extra #1 picks, and no plan at QB (which likely boils down to either trading most of those picks you get for Lamar to move up and draft a top-5 QB with all the risk that entails or sign/trade for someone like Cousins or Garopolo or similar for 75% or so of what you'd have needed to pay Lamar).

None of the options are great.  Its either a big gamble on Lamar with a lesser roster around him or a big gamble on DeCosta finding the next QB.  I don't think its fair to say that choosing one of those options means you are happy for mediocrity and the other means you are seeking glory. The objectives are the same for both paths forward.

• bmore_ken likes this

#478 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,873 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 09:55 AM

Someone mentioned yesterday that he was dealing with a hip issue.  Not sure where they got that information because I never read anything about it.  

He was on the injury report all week and questionable for the game.

#479 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 09:58 AM

He was on the injury report all week and questionable for the game.

Didn't see that. I knew Andrews was questionable.

#480 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,576 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 09:58 AM

Lamar wasn't good or bad, he did what was asked of him. If this game means a return to the 2018-2020 run-first offense then I am fine with this overcorrection.

• bmore_ken likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=