99 replies to this topic

#41 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Not all philosophies are the best plans, but I at least give him credit for sticking to his belief. ;)

Sure, I'm just glad he'll be sticking to his beliefs up in Philly now.
@JeffLongBP

#42 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,660 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

:lol: too true.

#43 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Thankfully. Appreciated that he HAD philosophies, but never agreed with them.
@JeremyMStrain

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

Not if you extend him first. The only way you let him interview for the Sox is if you don't care about keeping him or not...

You can tell him that you won't let him go to an AL East team but are willing to extend him or let him go to a non-division team. If he truly wants to stay, he'll take the extension.

I'd put money on him taking the Red Sox job. It's a perfect challenge that I think he'd love and I don't think the Sox let him leave without nabbing him.

You are assuming he would want to extend first.

You totally destroy the relationship with him if you don't let him pursue other ventures, especially since he isn't under contract for next year.

You are just dead wrong about this.

If you want him to stay, you have to let him interview for other jobs.

#45 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

You are assuming he would want to extend first.

You totally destroy the relationship with him if you don't let him pursue other ventures, especially since he isn't under contract for next year.

If you want him to stay, you have to let him interview for other jobs.

This. Besides, what says a PC job is better than Minor League Pitching Coordinator? Apparently it's one of the new "it" jobs in baseball. What if they called it "Director of Pitching Development"?

The Cubs just lured a long sought after coach from Vandy I think, by giving him the same position as Peterson.
@JeremyMStrain

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

This. Besides, what says a PC job is better than Minor League Pitching Coordinator? Apparently it's one of the new "it" jobs in baseball. What if they called it "Director of Pitching Development"?

The Cubs just lured a long sought after coach from Vandy I think, by giving him the same position as Peterson.
You are just dead wrong about this.

What am I wrong about?

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

What am I wrong about?

All-Star's quoted response to you, inadvertently did not include you saying to Trea that he was dead wrong.

#48 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

What am I wrong about?

Nothing sorry. It screwed up the quoting somehow and I went back and fixed it.
@JeremyMStrain

#49 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Haha - crisis averted. :lol:

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

I figured something happened. LOL

I do agree with you though...I would think the job Peterson had, overlooking an entire organization, would be more prestigious than a ML PC job.

#51 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

I figured something happened. LOL

I do agree with you though...I would think the job Peterson had, overlooking an entire organization, would be more prestigious than a ML PC job.

Yeah it was weird it quoted your last conversation with Trea but inserted it before and after my comment. Never seen it do that before.

Yeah I was thinking about it more last night when I saw the Cubs move. Semantics in the title but it's basically a position a step below director of player development. I'd think that is prestigious enough to keep people from shopping around.
@JeremyMStrain

#52 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

Yeah it was weird it quoted your last conversation with Trea but inserted it before and after my comment. Never seen it do that before.

Yeah I was thinking about it more last night when I saw the Cubs move. Semantics in the title but it's basically a position a step below director of player development. I'd think that is prestigious enough to keep people from shopping around.

...provided that you pay up.

I do agree with what some are saying that losing RP isn't awful.

What I do like is going outside the box and having a real plan and that it has been communicated well throughout the system.

I don't like the my way or the highway philosophy and that alone makes me ok if he does leave.

But, it does also make me wonder if a guy like say, Tillman, is better off being dealt if RP is gone?

The thing I like about RP is the mechanics stuff. To me, that is really important and if he does leave, I hope they bring in someone that can take over that aspect of things.

#53 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

...provided that you pay up.

I do agree with what some are saying that losing RP isn't awful.

What I do like is going outside the box and having a real plan and that it has been communicated well throughout the system.

I don't like the my way or the highway philosophy and that alone makes me ok if he does leave.

But, it does also make me wonder if a guy like say, Tillman, is better off being dealt if RP is gone?

The thing I like about RP is the mechanics stuff. To me, that is really important and if he does leave, I hope they bring in someone that can take over that aspect of things.

You can't unlearn the things he taught. RP isn't his day to day coach in the majors and he did just fine without him while he was up.

I don't think it's a good thing to change philosophies from year to year though.
@JeremyMStrain

#54 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

The Red Sox have added Juan Nieves and Randy St. Claire to their pitching coach candidate list. Maybe Rick Peterson's not a shoe-in to get the job.

http://hardballtalk.... ... view-list/
@BSLKevinEbert

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

http://espn.go.com/b... ... ource-says

Looks like we will be losing him.

Will the Orioles come in and offer him a good contract and convince him to stay?

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8595739/john-farrell-boston-red-sox-likes-rick-peterson-pitching-coach-source-says

Will the Orioles come in and offer him a good contract and convince him to stay?

Why not just hire that Correnti guy to do the minor league coordinating if Peterson leaves? Or to be the biomechanical coordinator or something?

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Why not just hire that Correnti guy to do the minor league coordinating if Peterson leaves? Or to be the biomechanical coordinator or something?

Maybe that's what they will do?

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Maybe that's what they will do?

If Duquette's really sold on the biomenchanical aspect of what Peterson is doing, then it'd make sense to bring in someone else who is strong in that field, whether it's this guy or someone else.

It will be real interesting to see which way they go if Peterson does leave. I feel like this is one area where Duke and Buck may not be on the same page in terms of the best way to go with developing minor league pitching (if there even is one best way to go).

#59 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8595739/john-farrell-boston-red-sox-likes-rick-peterson-pitching-coach-source-says

Not offering an extension right after the season and allowing him to interview shows they aren't that desperate to keep him. Meanwhile Boston's pitching is about to become a strength again. Guess they figure that's not a big deal as Boston finished in the basement and therefore is inferior.

If so they are dead wrong.

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Not offering an extension right after the season and allowing him to interview shows they aren't that desperate to keep him. Meanwhile Boston's pitching is about to become a strength again. Guess they figure that's not a big deal as Boston finished in the basement and therefore is inferior.

If so they are dead wrong.

And you know for sure that RP would have signed the extension, right?

Because I know, from someone close to him, that he wants to be a ML PC and wanted the chance to go after a job.

So, what evidence do you have that the extension would have made a difference?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=