• Please log in to reply
849 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 09:51 AM

Balt Sun: Previewing Ravens vs. Bills: 11 things to watch, including Buffalo’s secondary, Mark Andrews and Josh Allen

#22 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 10:07 AM

I've seen this stat a few times now: the Bills lead the league in pressure rate, but are dead last in blitz rate.

They have a very good defensive line that's getting pressure rushing four. So while Lamar's been great against the blitz this season, he's going to have to navigate pressure this week while the Bills have extra defenders in coverage. On the back end, the Buffalo secondary is more banged up than the Ravens, which could be an equalizer.

This breakdown on what the Dolphins did to frustrate Josh Allen last week gives a decent blueprint on defense https://youtu.be/MzDQuDsnYts

I figured a heavy dose of cover 2 was coming against Miami, which wasn't the case during some of the biggest plays in the 4th quarter of that game. Macdonald ought to put two defenders back there more often this week, even if he's rotating someone late.

Bills are hurting in the secondary. They won't have White or Hyde for sure. And possibly will be without Poyer. What helped the Bills in the past was their all-pro safeties being able to handle a ton of responsibility, playing close to the LOS, but still handling their coverage assignments. Not having 3/4 of their normal secondary should limit that.

Watching the Pats game back, it looks like teams are still doing everything to stop the run game, and "figure out" Lamar. Belichick even pulled out the old split 40 (at least that's what we called it when I was coaching). Had two 3 techniques, and had the ILB's controlling the A gaps.

That tells me Lamar and Roman have started to solve the problems teams created last season. And opposing teams are currently searching for another solution to the Lamar equation.

I could be wrong, but I think our offense finds a lot of success again tomorrow. Problem is, I have no faith in Macdonald scheming up, or making the in game adjustments needed to stop the Bills offense. Part of that isn't his problem. He has limited options in the front 7 now with Pierce out for the season, and on practice squad edge rushers opposite of Oweh.

If the hurricane stays out towards West Virginia, and the weather isn't terrible, I'd take the over in a heartbeat.
  • Bmore Irish likes this

#23 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 10:15 AM

Would certainly help things if JPP is in shape and healthy, so more like the 2020 version. Not sure if Houston will be able to give much. Giving Allen all day isn’t going to work out well.

#24 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 10:22 AM

Would certainly help things if JPP is in shape and healthy, so more like the 2020 version. Not sure if Houston will be able to give much. Giving Allen all day isn’t going to work out well.

With Diggs against our CB's, I'm not sure he'll need all day.

#25 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:41 PM

Fell behind on keeping up the depth charts. Updated now for this week.

XoIXCGp.png

By my count there are 51 on the active roster. 2 players elevated from the PS, so 5 will be inactive. The are two open spots on the 53-man and 1 open spot on the PS. 

Houston and Mekari likely out. 

Drake again maybe? Proche again if they plan to go run heavy in the rain with all the TEs. Phillips? 

Copeland and Sharpe elevated. So Travis Jones must be ready since they didn't elevate Mack or Nichols. If Stanley plays I'd expect a snap count limit with Faalele getting some action. If Stanley doesn't play, yikes. Copeland will be heavily relied upon since we don't know what kind of shape JPP is in yet.

• PrimeTime likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#26 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 October 2022 - 08:04 PM

Interestingly enough, Josh Allen's completion percentage is about 20 points lower when he has more than 2.5 seconds to throw. That says to me he's a quick, rhythm passer. Delayed blitzes, stunts and playing contain may be a good strategy to employ tomorrow.
  • makoman likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#27 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 October 2022 - 08:30 AM

Breaking out the chili for today's game.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#28 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 October 2022 - 10:38 AM

Stanley is inactive today. Not a surprise but I was hoping against hope.
@primetime667083

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 10:42 AM

Stanley is inactive today. Not a surprise but I was hoping against hope.

I'm actually surprised. I expected him to play.  It's getting ridiculous.

If you aren't healthy, stop practicing. 

If you are healthy, suit up.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 10:44 AM

Other inactives:

Amour-Davis CB

Drake RB

Houston OLB
Mekari OL

#31 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 10:47 AM

Bills get Tre'davius White back.

Houston and Mekari out. Not looking good.

#32 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 10:54 AM

Bills get Tre'davius White back.

Houston and Mekari out. Not looking good.

White started the season on PUP. He can't come back until after week 4 if I'm not mistaken.

Can we not start with the woe is me act already.

#33 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 10:56 AM

White started the season on PUP. He can't come back until after week 4 if I'm not mistaken.

Can we not start with the woe is me act already.

Oh you're right. I didn't see him on the inactive list but forgot about the pup.

Oh I won't be doing any "woe is me." I'm expecting, and rightfully so, for them to lose by multiple touchdowns. I won't feel any differently about them after it happens. I was already assuming it.

#34 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 10:57 AM

I'm actually surprised. I expected him to play.  It's getting ridiculous.

I wonder how the rest of the team feels about it. Harbaugh has sort of been putting the onus on Stanley for a while now. Although none of them will say it, I have to believe it's frustrating. Especially in a situation like this when Mekari is out.

It's definitely annoying from a fan perspective when he's practicing and everyone's talking up how good he looks and feels, including Ronnie.

#35 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 11:00 AM

I wonder how the rest of the team feels about it. Harbaugh has sort of been putting the onus on Stanley for a while now. Although none of them will say it, I have to believe it's frustrating. Especially in a situation like this when Mekari is out.

It's definitely annoying from a fan perspective when he's practicing and everyone's talking up how good he looks and feels, including Ronnie.

He probably doesn't want his first test to be against Von Miller.

#36 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 October 2022 - 11:02 AM

I'm actually surprised. I expected him to play. It's getting ridiculous.

I would assume they held him out because of the weather. It's kinda weak because Stanley is going to have to deal with the elements at some point but I suppose it falls under the proverbial "it is what it is" category. Faalele is going to have his work cut out for him.
@primetime667083

#37 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 11:11 AM

I would assume they held him out because of the weather. It's kinda weak because Stanley is going to have to deal with the elements at some point but I suppose it falls under the proverbial "it is what it is" category. Faalele is going to have his work cut out for him.

When he didn’t practice Friday and Sharpe was elevated that pointed to him not playing.

The way both he and the team talked him up this week, he absolutely has to be playing next week.

#38 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 11:11 AM

Figured Stanley would sit with the rain. In any rate,the only way I can see this game ending up in the win column is if the Ravens control the clock and create a few turnovers. Otherwise, they're just too compromised defensively right now. Buffalo 27 Ravens 20

#39 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 11:23 AM

I'm actually surprised. I expected him to play. It's getting ridiculous.

Did the same thing with Dobbins.

#40 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 02 October 2022 - 11:24 AM

He probably doesn't want his first test to be against Von Miller.

And on a wet, sloppy field that could reverse the progress he's made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=