133 replies to this topic

#121 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:24 PM

1 legit ace and one stud position player.

Plus a good backup catcher and maybe an upper echelon reliever.

Don't cheap out on the first part. They should be shopping at the top of the market with the payroll situation as is.

Josh Bell. 

#122 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:25 PM

1 legit ace and one stud position player.

Plus a good backup catcher and maybe an upper echelon reliever.

Don't cheap out on the first part. They should be shopping at the top of the market with the payroll situation as is.

You are 100% correct. My thoughts exactly. No excuses.

#123 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:25 PM

Tippy top of the market isnt realistic. THey arent giving De Grom whatever he is getting. Probably also wont be in on Rodon who likely is #2. Maybe IM forgetting someone. Think they will be in on guys like Bassit, Kershaw if he wanted to leave LA, Clevinger, Eovaldi. Wold love to see Verlander opt out and for us to pursue him. GIve him like 2/60

#124 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:29 PM

Without looking, I'll bet he likely had more in one season than most modern pitchers in a career.

He referenced it last night.  What is almost as impressive as the complete games, is the amount of innings he and his team mates threw.

The 1970 Orioles only used 12 pitchers all year and three threw 295 innings or more.  Palmer e was over 300.

The 70 staff threw 60 complete games.

The 1971 Orioles used 13 pitchers, 4–20 game winners and the top 3 threw 280 or more.  The staff through 71 complete games.

Times have changed, but that is probably why the last 3 nights have thrilled me.

• JStruds likes this
@mikeghg

#125 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:30 PM

I wonder who's pitching tomorrow night.

Mike Bauman.

#126 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:31 PM

Palmer really was a total stud in the 70s.

Should get more love than he does.
Part of every Orioles WS team.
His own dominance.
All these years broadcasting, connecting the Os teams across the decades.

#127 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:33 PM

Tippy top of the market isnt realistic. THey arent giving De Grom whatever he is getting. Probably also wont be in on Rodon who likely is #2. Maybe IM forgetting someone. THiink they will be in on guys like Bassit, Kershaw if he wanted to leave LA, Clevinger, Eovaldi. Wold love to see Verlander opt out and for us to pursue him. GIve him like 2/60

Whether it makes sense to sign De Grom is a question worth considering, but they absolutely should have the payroll flexibility to pursue him.

My statement wasn't meant to be De Grom and Judge or bust. They should be getting 2 studs though.

Verlander makes a lot of sense imo because of the short commitment.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#128 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:36 PM

Manea has ad a bad year in SD but I like him as a  target as a 2nd SP

#129 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:36 PM

All these guys but Lyles got hurt this season at some point. So it's be a big mistake to only have 5 starters. Need 7 or 8. Go sign two FAs (or trade). One is an absolute must. They aren't trying if they don't add a good starter. The second guy can be cheaper.

...but that's not really the way it actually works.  You want them to sign someone to sign someone.  There's no guarantees in the FA (or trade) market.  You aren't getting a lock.  You'll have 12 guys start, but that's not 12 32-Game starters.  So guys get hurt, you already have depth at AAA.  You can add more AAAA-types, you can easily get a layer to cover.  If you have an issue, you can always go get someone.

deGrom is awesome but he's made of glass.  They just aren't shopping there.  They aren't signing Rodon.  It really is a terrible class to want to spend money in, but aren't we just spending money to spend money?...because that's the answer "at this point". 

Do you want Stroman and Eduardo Rodriguez? 

The only thing they might do is find a guy like a Sean Manea to bridge back to Means return.  If you aren't pitching Means when he gets back...are we releasing him?  Extend him.

All of this conversation probably belongs in Greg's 2023 thread.  Same discussion there. Lost here.

#130 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:39 PM

....., but they absolutely should have the payroll flexibility to pursue him.

They absolutely have had the payroll capacity to do whatever they've wanted.  There's a reason they've taken the tact that they have and that's not really going to change.

#131 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:43 PM

They absolutely have had the payroll capacity to do whatever they've wanted. There's a reason they've taken the tact that they have and that's not really going to change.

I don't necessarily disagree.

I have not been one of these people that have been saying the money will start flowing in a major way once "they're ready to compete."

I'm on a what should happen discussion. The money should start to rain down.

#132 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:49 PM

Mike Bauman.

With the whole BP behind him.

Valdez is on a big time roll, but we can find a way and get to 80.

@mikeghg

#133 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 10:18 PM

Frankly, the O's can deal some legit, high-end upside for some good, young cost-controlled arms. 

#134 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:26 AM

I don't necessarily disagree.

I have not been one of these people that have been saying the money will start flowing in a major way once "they're ready to compete."

I'm on a what should happen discussion. The money should start to rain down.

As long as they are considering selling the team, the Angelos family is not going to let the money flow.  That said, I could see them spending up to 100 M, which would allow them to make significant acquisitions.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=