Man I want to say things but Ill bite my tongue for now

#124 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 09:19 PM

They werent ready to really go at it hard and compete tonight. Most annoyed Ive been all year

#125 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 September 2022 - 09:45 PM

Man I want to say things but Ill bite my tongue for now

Say all the things. Let it rip.

#126 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 09:56 PM

I think we may need offense more than pitching. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#127 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 09:59 PM

Say all the things. Let it rip.

Ha. Trust me, I was close. Kind of said what I needed to say in my posts tonight without going too far. In addition to being annoyed at the team Im annoyed not many fans were there to pick them up a bit. But I wont be a hypocrite because I havent been down since early Aug
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#128 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 September 2022 - 10:02 PM

There’s been too much offensive inconsistency, little by way of adjustments. So the analytics and all that doesn’t seem to be helping the hitters as much as it is the pitchers, and it has to be, because they just aren’t that talented on paper.

They’ve definitely lacked that killer instinct. Way too many eggs laid against mediocre pitchers when a sweep could’ve been had. Hard to complain when you’re winning at such a nice clip, but I stand by that statement nevertheless. So it isn’t surprising to me they struggled to dig in against Manoah, who was dealing, after laying everything they had out there Tuesday night.

Honestly, I’m hanging on every damn pitch. And have been for a while now, so it can be emotional in the moment, but I just appreciate caring about baseball on September 7th. I truly do love this group, they have no business even being this good right now.
  • mdrunning likes this

#129 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 September 2022 - 10:04 PM

And I acknowledge, concede even, it isn’t easy for Hyde trying to integrate these rookies. Tough balance. But I’m glad those that are here, are here.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#130 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 10:08 PM

There’s been too much offensive inconsistency, little by way of adjustments. So the analytics and all that doesn’t seem to be helping the hitters as much as it is the pitchers, and it has to be, because they just aren’t that talented on paper.

They’ve definitely lacked that killer instinct. Way too many eggs laid against mediocre pitchers when a sweep could’ve been had. Hard to complain when you’re winning at such a nice clip, but I stand by that statement nevertheless. So it isn’t surprising to me they struggled to dig in against Manoah, who was dealing, after laying everything they had out there Tuesday night.

Honestly, I’m hanging on every damn pitch. And have been for a while now, so it can be emotional in the moment, but I just appreciate caring about baseball on September 7th. I truly do love this group, they have no business even being this good right now.

Holt didnt look like he was having much effect last year either, Hoping year 2 the hitting coaches work will start to show more. I do think theyve been having better ABs of late. Making good pitchers work. Obviously not tonight. Also obvious that there are some holes to fill offensively. 

• You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

#131 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 September 2022 - 10:09 PM

He wants to ride the horse that brung em. And the rookies who are playing sparingly aren’t exactly grabbing it. Also, back to point one in this post, he probably feels playing guys through their slumps is the best way to get them through the other side. You’ve seen him stick with guys regardless. With Odor, I think it’s leadership. With Hays, it’s defense and a hope he gets hot again. Seems Mount has turned it around. He hasn’t platooned Mullins more, despite some here thinking that should happen too.

So Hyde has some old school in him. I respect it. He uses analytics and numbers, we know that, does the shift and all that stuff. But he’s definitely a little old school. Not exactly sure how I feel about it yet longterm, but he’s earned my respect for turning this team around this year.

#132 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 10:10 PM

And I acknowledge, concede even, it isn’t easy for Hyde trying to integrate these rookies. Tough balance. But I’m glad those that are here, are here.

It is tough to do it in a playoff chase. Thats what I was saying. Have no problem with any of them being here but its tough to trust them. Thats not a knock on them. I like them all. Even Hall, who I think is overrated by some fans and likely ends up a reliever. There is just an adjustment period.

#133 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 10:13 PM

He wants to ride the horse that brung em. And the rookies who are playing sparingly aren’t exactly grabbing it. Also, back to point one in this post, he probably feels playing guys through their slumps is the best way to get them through the other side. You’ve seen him stick with guys regardless. With Odor, I think it’s leadership. With Hays, it’s defense and a hope he gets hot again. Seems Mount has turned it around. He hasn’t platooned Mullins more, despite some here thinking that should happen too.

So Hyde has some old school in him. I respect it. He uses analstics and numbers, we know that, does the shift and all that stuff. But he’s definitely a little old school. Not exactly sure how I feel about it ye longterm, but he’s earned my respect for turning this team around this year.

Next year is the test for Hyde. There will be expectations. There are things I see that I like and some I dont like. 

#134 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:28 AM

Holt didnt look like he was having much effect last year either, Hoping year 2 the hitting coaches work will start to show more. I do think theyve been having better ABs of late. Making good pitchers work. Obviously not tonight. Also obvious that there are some holes to fill offensively. 

They were also hampered by no contact with players during the lockout and a shortened spring training. Not sure if Ted Williams could teach patience to guys like Mountcastle, Mateo, Hays, Odor, etc. I think having guys like Adley, Gunnar, Stowers, etc that at least Fuller has been working with since the jump come up will be the best test case for them. 

• You Play to Win the Game and makoman like this

#135 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:21 AM

I'm disappointed Vavra hasn't played more. I know his defense has been not good, but we could definitely use the OBP tool he has right about now.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#136 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:25 AM

I'm disappointed Vavra hasn't played more. I know his defense has been not good, but we could definitely use the OBP tool he has right about now.

I think more than the defense is that he's been ice cold (nearly 0-fer) at the plate.  Very limited chances, so certainly fair to wonder if with regular time he'd have kept getting on base at a good clip.

#137 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 08:31 AM

I do think its encouraging that the players they've brought up during the season seem to have decent OBP. Maybe not at Adley's level but certainly better than who was on the roster otherwise. So, maybe at the lower levels, they're having more success teaching strikezone awareness than what has been on display in Baltimore. I still think you either have that talent or you don't but whatever they've been trying at the big league level is falling on deaf ears.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#138 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 September 2022 - 08:36 AM

I do think its encouraging that the players they've brought up during the season seem to have decent OBP. Maybe not at Adley's level but certainly better than who was on the roster otherwise. So, maybe at the lower levels, they're having more success teaching strikezone awareness than what has been on display in Baltimore. I still think you either have that talent or you don't but whatever they've been trying at the big league level is falling on deaf ears.

They’re drafting players with that skill set and improving it with development.

#139 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 September 2022 - 08:37 AM

First time in a while I’m good with a day off to regroup.

#140 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 September 2022 - 08:38 AM

First time in a while I’m good with a day off to regroup.

Yep. Badly needed. And we have football tonight. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=