63 replies to this topic

#61 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 10:55 PM

Just terrible, I don’t get it. I really don’t.

I know I'm late to the party, but I didn't understand that strategy, either. Arozarena has killed us this year, so why pitch to him at all, particularly with two outs? I was just pulling up to the house in my truck at the time, and I'm yelling, "Walk him, walk him!" My neighbors were looking at me a little quizzically.

#62 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:02 PM

The Orioles narrowly avoided franchise history. Since their 1954 inception they have never been involved in a perfect game, for or against. They've been in 13 no-hitters, 6 of them they threw.

In the entire history of baseball, there have been 236,061 games played (although there is some dispute as to whether or not to include the National Association of 1871 through 1875 as a major league) at the outset of the current season. In that time, there have been just 23 perfect games. And two of those occurred in 1880, when there was no strike zone and the pitcher stood just 45 feet from home plate, so you could make the argument that there have been only 21.

Regardless, it's not something you want to be on the wrong side of.

#63 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:11 PM

When a guy is flirting with a perfect game, the pitch count typically is lower. Rasmussen only had seven strikeouts in eight-plus innings compared to nine for Lyles, who lasted only into the fifth. Particularly in this era of pitch counts, a combination of ground outs, flyballs and strikeouts is not only more efficient, it's easier on the arm.

#64 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:58 AM

Can’t ignore the tie breaker Mike. Otherwise, not a huge deal to win the season series. Winning this many against them after our recent history against Tampa is amazing enough of a turnaround as it is, and this team deserves a ton of credit for that. Just a bad day though, sucks.

Watch, we'll get screwed by a newly-implemented tiebreak rule just as the Colts did the first year the NFL went to tiebreakers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=