431 replies to this topic

#401 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,671 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 10:26 PM

I don’t see the angle of where it makes sense for this to be true but for Elias to deny it. I’m still not buying it.

He didnt deny it. He seems to play things very close to the vest.

#402 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 March 2022 - 10:37 PM

If this is for real, and I’m still very skeptical, then there must be a pretty well-thought plan to compete in 2023. And by well-thought I mean they need some sort of Plan B in case the top prospects aren’t at a point by then where they believe they can legitimately compete for a WC. I can’t see any logic in spending that kind of money for a player like Correa just to spend multiple years of his prime waiting for prospects that may or may not make it.

#403 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,671 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 10:47 PM

Ignoring the Correa stuff for a moment, what would signing Adley to a long term contract say to you. That was as interesting as the Correa stuff in the last tweet by Ramos.

#404 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 March 2022 - 10:48 PM

I'm not familiar with the term "WOW offer", but I've seen it typed here a few times. What is that? I assume it's not just an offer that makes you say, "WOW"

Omg is this for real? So much joy

@fuzydunlop

#405 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 March 2022 - 10:50 PM

If this is for real, and I’m still very skeptical, then there must be a pretty well-thought plan to compete in 2023. And by well-thought I mean they need some sort of Plan B in case the top prospects aren’t at a point by then where they believe they can legitimately compete for a WC. I can’t see any logic in spending that kind of money for a player like Correa just to spend multiple years of his prime waiting for prospects that may or may not make it.

If the prospects don’t make it, Elias is not going to have to worry about it.  if the rumors are true, and like you I do not think they are, the Orioles are supposedly front loading., which would still leave them $$$ a few years down the road.

@mikeghg

#406 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 March 2022 - 10:54 PM

Ignoring the Correa stuff for a moment, what would signing Adley to a long term contract say to you. That was as interesting as the Correa stuff in the last tweet by Ramos.

Even the Rays do that, so not much, but it’d at least be a sign of intelligence, it is a good thing to do. I just want proof they’re not going to operate strictly like the Rays salary wise, and Correa would definitely do that.

#407 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 March 2022 - 11:47 PM

If the prospects don’t make it, Elias is not going to have to worry about it.  if the rumors are true, and like you I do not think they are, the Orioles are supposedly front loading., which would still leave them $$$ a few years down the road.

Front-loaded or not, if you’re giving him $300m, you want to win while he’s in his prime.

#408 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 06:12 AM

Front-loaded or not, if you’re giving him $300m, you want to win while he’s in his prime.

If you are signed for 10 years, doesn't matter that you are not contending in 2022.

With or without Correa the window cracks opens in 23, with 24 being the Orioles expectation imo.

#409 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,660 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 March 2022 - 06:33 AM

IF they were to sign him I think it’ll either be a front loaded deal with an opt out after year 6/7 or an evenly distributed deal with an opt out after year 4. Big if, obviously.

#410 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 06:35 AM

IF they were to sign him I think it’ll either be a front loaded deal with an opt out after year 6/7 or an even distributed deal with an opt out after year 4. Big if, obviously.

That would be great. Hopefully he opts out in Year 5-6.

#411 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 March 2022 - 08:04 AM

Elias seemed to dismiss the idea on Monday, telling reporters it was unlikely the rebuilding Orioles would offer any free agent a multi-year contract. But Correa, according to a source with knowledge of the Orioles’ thinking, might be an exception, if his price dropped to a level the club deemed appropriate.

This is more like what we're use to from the O's. Hence, the reason only one person on this board believes in this phantom offer. The O's would be in on every top shelf FA, if they'd be willing to accept well below market rate. I'd buy a Maserati MC20, if they'd be willing to accept Honda Accord money for it.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#412 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 08:13 AM

This is more like what we're use to from the O's. Hence, the reason only one person on this board believes in this phantom offer. The O's would be in on every top shelf FA, if they'd be willing to accept well below market rate. I'd buy a Maserati MC20, if they'd be willing to accept Honda Accord money for it.  

If the Orioles are in on him, doesn't make a lot of sense to telegraph that to anyone. 
Certainly doesn't make sense to say they'd be willing to pay anything. 

If they can get him to a deal they can live with, great. 

Overall, I think they O's have been straight-forward to the public. 

"We are not going to spend any money until we believe we are on the verge of something, and then we will augment around the existing core.  And even then, we are not going to spend like NY, LA, Boston." 

Which is fine.  Whatever. 

I really don't care if they decide they are never spending above $100M again. 

But if that is the case, then I just want to see them operate accordingly. 

My sense remains that they will get back to their 2015-17 spending levels + inflation in-time, and that with their payroll obligations being basically little / nothing for the foreseeable future, they have the ability to take on a would-be contract like this with Correa, if they so choose. 

#413 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 March 2022 - 10:06 AM

It's either this, or "Plenty of new exciting food options at Camden Yards this year" conversations. :)

I must have jinxed this because today they announce we can bring food and drink to the Yards again.
  • bmore_ken likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#414 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 10:20 AM

I must have jinxed this because today they announce we can bring food and drink to the Yards again.

Can’t wait to turn on MASN and see bmore_ken and jamesdean chowing down on some Oregon Grille steaks in the first row behind their favorite new wall.
  • JeremyStrain, BaltBird 24 and bmore_ken like this

#415 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 10:32 AM

It's either this, or "Plenty of new exciting food options at Camden Yards this year" conversations. :)

I get that's the prevailing thought, but I don't feel that way.  Seems like there is a lot to talk about imo. 

#416 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 March 2022 - 10:33 AM

Can’t wait to turn on MASN and see bmore_ken and jamesdean chowing down on some Oregon Grille steaks in the first row behind their favorite new wall.

At the prices,of Oregon Grille, I hope the Orioles comp the tickets.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#417 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 10:59 AM

I eat a vegan diet but maybe Ken and I can chow down on an Impossible Burger while enjoying the new wall. (LOL)

#418 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 March 2022 - 11:07 AM

If the Orioles are in on him, doesn't make a lot of sense to telegraph that to anyone. 
Certainly doesn't make sense to say they'd be willing to pay anything. 

If they can get him to a deal they can live with, great. 

Overall, I think they O's have been straight-forward to the public. 

"We are not going to spend any money until we believe we are on the verge of something, and they we will augment around the existing core.  And even then, we are not going to spenders like NY, LA, Boston." 

Which is fine.  Whatever. 

I really don't care if they decide they are never spending above $100M again. 

But if that is the case, then I just want to see them operate accordingly. 

My sense remains that they will get back to their 2015-17 spending levels + inflation in-time, and that with their payroll obligations being basically little / nothing for the foreseeable future, they have the ability to take on a would-be contract like this with Correa, if they so choose. 

I agree that Elias's denial of an offer isn't an indicator of whether of not there is an offer. That's standard practice by most GMs. I also don't think that standard GM speak like, "nothing is off the table" means anything at all. Ages ago, some GM came up with that line, and it's been a pro sports colloquialism ever since. Assuming Elias truly likes him, I think you and I agree that signing him is a good idea, even if '22 isn't the year they plan to compete. Waiting until all their prospects are up and producing, is a waste of Means and Mullins time here.   

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#419 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 March 2022 - 01:42 PM

Please Carlos pick a team.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#420 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 02:56 PM

So John Angelos and Carlos Correa were spotted together at the Oregon Grille, is that where we are now?

That would have been the highlight of my year :mrgreen:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=