• This topic is locked This topic is locked
431 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 04:51 PM

"According to my sources, yes, they put an offer on the table. 10 years, top-heavy the first two years where they offer around $44M/season the first two, and around $29M the next eight. I'm not saying they're going to get him, but they have interest." @RamosRauli on O's/Correa

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2022 - 05:40 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it, but if true that would completely change my outlook of the future. I’m still not convinced they’ll go back to previous spending levels. We’ll see.
  • Mike B likes this

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 06:35 PM

He would take away from an opportunity to see what Mateo can do with regular time.  Pass.

• You Play to Win the Game and BaltBird 24 like this

#4 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 06:58 PM

Wow.

That's a competitive offer.

I'm kind of impressed.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#5 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 07:16 PM

Why would they do that when they have Urias?

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 March 2022 - 07:24 PM

He would take away from an opportunity to see what Mateo can do with regular time. Pass.

I’m like 70% sure you’re being sarcastic here?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 07:26 PM

It's interesting if it happened.

I mean this is what they have the flexibility to do.

Seemed like they were a year away from being ready / willing to spend... so idk that I think they would spend this / offer this now... but they absolutely can.

Will say if this was offered... I'd question further not having made runs at guys like Rodriguez and Wood.

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 07:47 PM

I saw it reported elsewhere they have interest. Awesome. They wont get him but they are willing to spend

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 07:56 PM

Can they defer more than the total value of the contract?  Correa pays them $6M this year, they give him $50M in 2034.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#10 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 07:56 PM

The Orioles are a long way from attracting top tier free agents. They can offer him the moon but he isn't coming to Baltimore.

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2022 - 07:57 PM

I saw it reported elsewhere they have interest. Awesome. They wont get him but they are willing to spend

You can’t just so easily believe this. They don’t have a track record. Especially under this regime and whoever the real owner is right now. Unless he actually signs, I won’t believe they had any real intention of spending the money. This is an extremely analytical front office, they know what it’d take to sign him, so either they do or they don’t. There’s no moral victories or celebrations of them being willing to spend until they actually do spend, period.

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2022 - 07:58 PM

The Orioles are a long way from attracting top tier free agents. They can offer him the moon but he isn't coming to Baltimore.

This is also a myth IMO.

#13 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:00 PM

This is also a myth IMO.

Money talks and bs walks but the Orioles are about the toughest sell in baseball right now. I can't imagine him thinking of a single reason to come here. I don't think its a myth...just the harsh reality of being a rotten team.

#14 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:16 PM

Season ticket sales "tag day" must be coming up soon...
  • bmore_ken likes this

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:25 PM

I am skeptical that they actually made an offer, but this was an organization for years that was real good at making an offer good enough to get noticed but not good enough to get the player 

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:53 PM

I think we would have to be the top bidder, but I do not think the idea that players would not come here is true.

@mikeghg

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:55 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it, but if true that would completely change my outlook of the future. I’m still not convinced they’ll go back to previous spending levels. We’ll see.

That makes two of us. I'm going to want some proof, such as when he signs with another team it's confirmed the O's made an offer. If he signed here it would definitely bring me back to the yard. 

• Mike B likes this

#18 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:56 PM

Wow.

That's a competitive offer.

I'm kind of impressed.

If it's actually true. 

• Mike B likes this

#19 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 March 2022 - 12:47 AM

1)  If true, great.

2) I don't really want Correa at any price.  He's a clown.  He's a low character guy and a blatant liar (see: Altuve's tattoo).  My guess is that he has a challenged market when this is over

3) But here's how we know this is BS...why not Trever Story?  We could get Story for something more like a Baez deal and give him an opt-out to get to the younger players we like in the system.  There's lots of ways to create competitive opportunity (why not earlier in the offseason for other players?)  at SS and 3B, a better SP and a closer....but we get one floated rumor for Correa?

4) Carlos Correa recently changed agents to Scott Boras.  This is Boras tactic.  Complain about owners publicly impacting a market, but take an international source to float a rumor that will get National attention.  The Orioles have shown zero inclination to spend money.  They have run away from the market at every chance but suddenly they are putting 10/320 out there?  Obviously if the Orioles are at 10/320, the next team needs to bid 11/350.  Obviously, because the Orioles are right there in the market.

5) If true, great.  Still not my guy, but great.  Nothing to do with rebuilding, but great.

Bonus) So the Orioles wanted to compete at the top of the market and spend 300+M on a RHed bat (ok, great), so their first instinct was to rush to move the LF fences back to reduce the power value of that investment.  <<laughs....sigh>>

#20 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 01:43 AM

Not a chance this offer was made, and not a chance it's accepted even if it was.

And if they are going to spend this much, why do it on an oft-injured player at a position where they have lots of promising young players? Why not some freaking pitching?

My guess is the Elias-Astros connection was low hanging fruit for speculation on a slow news day.
  • Mike B, weird-O and bmore_ken like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=