#281 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2022 - 02:46 PM

Look at some of the countries America has armed over time, by the way. Like we’re perfect? It’s just nonsense hypocrisy for this to be something bothering people today. Her release should be universally celebrated. It is unfathomable that this type of story doesn’t make people feel good.
  • mweb08 likes this

#282 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 04:03 PM

Is it possible there's an agenda involved?

That seems pretty obvious.

#283 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 04:18 PM

Wanting to bring wrongly imprisoned Americans home should be bipartisan. This should not be viewed as an opportunity to hurt the President. There are no good/fair trades in these types of scenarios. So Biden should’ve let BG waste her life away in a Russian penal colony because it’s bad politics? Nothing is off base anymore.

While I'm glad Griner is home, I don't buy that she was wrongly imprisoned. She had the vapes on her at the airport, and was arrested because possession of the vapes is illegal in Russia. She then pled guilty. Further, she had been playing in Russia for years and she should know the laws of the country.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#284 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2022 - 05:05 PM

This is classic 4D chess from a regime that still thinks it’s the Cold War for the countries they haven’t actually invaded. This was always his goal. Win win all around for Putin. Detain a famous American - cause Americans to blame then govt for not bringing her home, and then when he agrees to the trade, make it such a deal that we are once again left divided over some complete nonsense.

If she had been caught driving a MPH over the speed limit they would’ve detained her for that.

She was 100%, black and white wrongly imprisoned.

So many here keep getting played by this man. It’s ridiculous.

#285 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 09 December 2022 - 05:07 PM

I think it’s ok to be glad she’s home and upset at what is cost us.

Count me in as someone who will never visit Russia.
  • Mackus likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#286 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2022 - 05:08 PM

What it cost us is a myth. You don’t think someone had taken his place? He’s no longer in our prison system being supported by my tax dollars. By the way, I slept great last night.

#287 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 05:15 PM

This is classic 4D chess from a regime that still thinks it’s the Cold War for the countries they haven’t actually invaded. This was always his goal. Win win all around for Putin. Detain a famous American - cause Americans to blame then govt for not bringing her home, and then when he agrees to the trade, make it such a deal that we are once again left divided over some complete nonsense.

If she had been caught driving a MPH over the speed limit they would’ve detained her for that.

Respectfully disagree.

Your speeding analogy doesn't hold water.

She's what, 6' 8" and famous?

Of course she had a target on her back and if she didn't have the vapes on her she may not have been detained.

You can blame Putin all you want, but Griner bears some responsibility for her carelessness

I've watched enough "To Catch a Smuggler" episodes to know that you have to be careful traveling abroad.

I am truly glad she's home and like Pedro, I'll never travel to Russia and I hope that no one I know ever does either.

#288 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2022 - 05:19 PM

Yeah I disagree. I think it’s the perfect analogy. I highly doubt they throw people in jail over there routinely for a few drops in a vape pen. They would’ve gotten her somehow, this is what he does. Wrongful detention is one of Putin’s trademarks.

Whatever. I just can’t understand how people are actually upset about this. It was an impossible situation, I’d like to think I wouldn’t care about the polls, but the human too. Sheesh. Tough crowd.

That said, appreciate the respect Russ, right back at ya. All good.
  • mdrunning likes this

#289 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 06:32 PM

Yeah I disagree. I think it’s the perfect analogy. I highly doubt they throw people in jail over there routinely for a few drops in a vape pen. They would’ve gotten her somehow, this is what he does. Wrongful detention is one of Putin’s trademarks.

Whatever. I just can’t understand how people are actually upset about this. It was an impossible situation, I’d like to think I wouldn’t care about the polls, but the human too. Sheesh. Tough crowd.

That said, appreciate the respect Russ, right back at ya. All good.

The people that are upset are the same people who were upset when Kaepernick took a knee and the Ravens a knee in London, etc. Look, I can disagree with some of her political views while being glad that she's not doing 9 years of hard labor in Russia. Peace brother!
  • You Play to Win the Game and mdrunning like this

#290 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 December 2022 - 02:58 PM

Great article on Griner’s flight home. Gave me the feels. https://www.espn.com...e-official-says

#291 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 05:45 PM

It’s a shame because I would have liked to visit Russia: St. Petersburg and Moscow especially. But after the war in Ukraine and shady law enforcement, I’m in no hurry to go i can tell you that. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#292 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 09:00 AM

Lets deal with facts and stop being ridiculous.

She broke Russian Law. You can bitch and gripe that the law is wrong, and thats up to Russia to change their law. 

To put it out there, that she was wrongly imprisoned, is total 100% falsehood.

She is not a famous American, she is a pro ball player, that wanted more money.

Many people never even heard of her, until she was arrested. Not much different than MLB dudes, going to Japan to play.

#293 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 December 2022 - 09:17 AM

Lets deal with facts and stop being ridiculous.

She broke Russian Law. You can bitch and gripe that the law is wrong, and thats up to Russia to change their law. 

To put it out there, that she was wrongly imprisoned, is total 100% falsehood.

She is not a famous American, she is a pro ball player, that wanted more money.

Many people never even heard of her, until she was arrested. Not much different than MLB dudes, going to Japan to play.

The issue isn't about that. It's how it's the wild west over there, and they could have done that with ANY of us.

What is the first thing you think of when someone mentions Mexican Police? It's the same way over there, if they decide to plant something on you (and don't think for a second that doesn't happen), you are now guilty of a crime, and then they can use that to do whatever they want and basically kidnap you.

The only reason any of this happened is because if you take Mary Baker from Oklahoma, the US isn't trading you an international arms dealer back. Someone who is a public figure, be it sports, celebrity or whatever, now that suits their purposes. They have to make it a public display so that the outcry demands someone does something, which then leads to what they wanted. It was kind of a masterclass in dirty politics if you think about it.

As not safe as it is in our own country a lot of the time, it's even less safe out there in some parts of the world.

@JeremyMStrain

#294 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 09:26 AM

The issue isn't about that. It's how it's the wild west over there, and they could have done that with ANY of us.

What is the first thing you think of when someone mentions Mexican Police? It's the same way over there, if they decide to plant something on you (and don't think for a second that doesn't happen), you are now guilty of a crime, and then they can use that to do whatever they want and basically kidnap you.

The only reason any of this happened is because if you take Mary Baker from Oklahoma, the US isn't trading you an international arms dealer back. Someone who is a public figure, be it sports, celebrity or whatever, now that suits their purposes. They have to make it a public display so that the outcry demands someone does something, which then leads to what they wanted. It was kind of a masterclass in dirty politics if you think about it.

As not safe as it is in our own country a lot of the time, it's even less safe out there in some parts of the world.

If they decide to plant something on you. Very true, which is why I stay out of Mexico and Russia for that matter. :)

Will we ever know if Russia planted the drugs or not? Its not like Griner didnt use weed and had a medical card to do so.

I agree, as unsafe it is here some of the time, its worse around the world for sure.

#295 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2022 - 09:29 AM

Yeah, nothing I said was false at all. In fact, it was spot on. That said, I’m sorry it angers some of you so much that Biden brought home a famous black American who was very wrongfully detained. I had no idea some of you had such reverence for Russian law. Quite interesting.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#296 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 09:35 AM

Yeah, nothing I said was false at all. In fact, it was spot on. That said, I’m sorry it angers some of you so much that Biden brought home a black American.

You have no clue, if it was spot on. You wasnt there.

Stop playing the race card. You are just trolling, when you do.

My initial comments was, that it was a very high price to pay for releasing an large arms dealer.

That still remains my thought, sorry, but I am entitled to my opinion.

#297 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, nothing I said was false at all. In fact, it was spot on. That said, I’m sorry it angers some of you so much that Biden brought home a famous black American who was very wrongfully detained. I had no idea some of you had such reverence for Russian law. Quite interesting.

To quote the great Herman Boone, I don't care if she's white, black, yellow, orange, or purple.  I don't believe special concessions should have been made for her because she was a celebrity.  Nor should she have been unfairly targeted by the Russians (if she was) because she was a celebrity.

I am, truly, happy that she got released and got to come home, as she should have been able to do long ago.  I'm saddened for those that are still over there because they aren't good at basketball.

#298 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2022 - 09:49 AM

To quote the great Herman Boone, I don't care if she's white, black, yellow, orange, or purple. I don't believe special concessions should have been made for her because she was a celebrity. Nor should she have been unfairly targeted by the Russians (if she was) because she was a celebrity.

I am, truly, happy that she got released and got to come home, as she should have been able to do long ago. I'm saddened for those that are still over there because they aren't good at basketball.

I mean good for you, clearly a lot of others do though. From everything I saw over the weekend, that can’t be debated.

And it’s how this 4D chess works. We can only bring home people who Putin is willing to negotiate for. Should we invade Russia to go get the rest?

#299 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2022 - 09:53 AM

IM1ubpL.jpg
  • DuffMan likes this

#300 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 December 2022 - 10:15 AM

To quote the great Herman Boone, I don't care if she's white, black, yellow, orange, or purple.  I don't believe special concessions should have been made for her because she was a celebrity.  Nor should she have been unfairly targeted by the Russians (if she was) because she was a celebrity.

I am, truly, happy that she got released and got to come home, as she should have been able to do long ago.  I'm saddened for those that are still over there because they aren't good at basketball.

What's really sad is that there is a list of people still over there, most we don't even know about. Of course, spycraft/military, I don't expect to know all those, but makes you wonder how many other people are too.

It's a very dirty way to play politics, reads like the Cold War is igniting all over again.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=