303 replies to this topic

#201 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 02:50 PM

Did you listen to any of Tulsi Gabbard’s podcast episodes on the Joe Rogan Experience?

(I know the left says I’m not allowed to mention his name anymore, so I’ll take my punishment for bringing him up)

Yes.

They were terrific.

I am going to give them another go.

Don't worry, my days of judging you in a bad light are behind me. I won't work to get you cancelled Brah!
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#202 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 March 2022 - 02:57 PM

It was "whataboutism" in my view at the time in the thread. I don't think the author was throwing stones as much as they were stating that this conflict might provide tactical and logistical training for future right wing terror groups. Not a lot you can do about it. I get it, A Nazi might use a US weapon against Russians in Ukraine. It's the lesser of the two evils between the two.

I'm saying you were throwing stones by calling them a mess with the extremist right / nazi element being a reason for them being a mess.

Ukraine isn't the lesser of two evils in this scenario. They were invaded without just cause and Russia is committing many war crimes against the people of Ukraine. Simply because a small percentage of them are neo nazis or right wing extremists doesn't make the country the lesser of two evils. Just like if Russia was doing this to us without just cause, we wouldn't be the lesser of the two evils simply because we have that same element in our country.

#203 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 March 2022 - 02:58 PM

I honestly think Putin is basically committing a genocide against a young generation of freedom loving Ukrainian’s. Once he realized they wouldn’t just roll over and allow a puppet regime to be installed, plan B was let’s just kill the people who believe in freedom instead. Despicable.

Long term, it’ll have the opposite effect.

#204 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 03:02 PM

I'm saying you were throwing stones by calling them a mess with the extremist right / nazi element being a reason for them being a mess.

Ukraine isn't the lesser of two evils in this scenario. They were invaded without just cause and Russia is committing many war crimes against the people of Ukraine. Simply because a small percentage of them are neo nazis or right wing extremists doesn't make the country the lesser of two evils. Just like if Russia was doing this to us without just cause, we wouldn't be the lesser of the two evils simply because we have that same element in our country.

Ukraine is a mess. I can certainly throw stones at a fractured,corrupt government that has card carrying Nazis in elected positions.

To clarify, I'm saying the right wing extremist battalion with US weapons fighting the Russians are the lesser of two evils in this fight. Ukraine and their people are the victims in this conflict.

#205 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 03:08 PM

I honestly think Putin is basically committing a genocide against a young generation of freedom loving Ukrainian’s. Once he realized they wouldn’t just roll over and allow a puppet regime to be installed, plan B was let’s just kill the people who believe in freedom instead. Despicable.

Long term, it’ll have the opposite effect.

I agree.

Even if Russia bombs Ukraine into submission, Russia will be facing a long term urban insurgency. Putin also has not allowed himself a save face. He's in real deep shit. Maybe the world's reaction to this war will give China some pause to invade Taiwan. I don't think China wants to be ( or can afford to be) ostracized.

#206 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,360 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 03:17 PM

Did you listen to any of Tulsi Gabbard’s podcast episodes on the Joe Rogan Experience?

(I know the left says I’m not allowed to mention his name anymore, so I’ll take my punishment for bringing him up)

ROFL

#207 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 03:17 PM

Ukraine is a mess. I can certainly throw stones at a fractured,corrupt government that has card carrying Nazis in elected positions.

To clarify, I'm saying the right wing extremist battalion with US weapons fighting the Russians are the lesser of two evils in this fight. Ukraine and their people are the victims in this conflict.

Enjoy the glass house then.

#208 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, he's really been cancelled. Where can I find him these days? Lol

The racist and anti vax content is you know, perhaps a reason for people to have some quarrels with him. Just maybe.

#209 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 03:28 PM

Enjoy the glass house then.

I am.

Thanks for the conversation.

#210 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,360 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 03:30 PM

I have a feeling you get punished quite a bit then.

#211 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 March 2022 - 03:31 PM

Quarrels is an interesting way to put it, lol, but I’m not going to get into that. I’ve barely listened to Rogan since the pandemic began because I do disagree firmly with those views. I listened to him a ton before. He is not racist. He is a comedian. If people are turned off and don’t want to listen to him, don’t. Like me.

#212 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 03:37 PM

Quarrels is an interesting way to put it, lol, but I’m not going to get into that. I’ve barely listened to Rogan since the pandemic began because I do disagree firmly with those views. I listened to him a ton before. He is not racist. He is a comedian. If people are turned off and don’t want to listen to him, don’t. Like me.

I mean all the racist comments and slurs would suggest otherwise. Comments that I don't think can be defended because of comedy. But perhaps he's changed on that front like he did on the vaccine front (in that case went from being pro-vaccine to anti).

#213 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 March 2022 - 03:45 PM

I’ll go with the thousands of hours of content I’ve listened to of his to judge him, rather than an orchestrated out of context hit job by the left designed to de-platform him.

#214 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 03:47 PM

Allan Ripp: Ukraine has a Nazi problem, but Vladimir Putin's 'denazification' claim for war is a lie. (nbcnews.com)

Nowadays, Ukraine counts between 56,000 to 140,000 Jews, who enjoy freedoms and protections never imagined by their grandparents. That includes an updated law passed last month criminalizing antisemitic acts. Unfortunately, the law was intended to address a pronounced uptick in public displays of bigotry, including swastika-laden vandalism of synagogues and Jewish memorials, and eerie marches in Kyiv and other cities that celebrated the Waffen SS.

In another ominous development, Ukraine has in recent years erected a glut of statues honoring Ukrainian nationalists whose legacies are tainted by their indisputable record as Nazi proxies. The Forward newspaper cataloged some of these deplorables, including Stepan Bandera, leader of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN), whose followers acted as local militia members for the SS and German army. “Ukraine has several dozen monuments and scores of street names glorifying this Nazi collaborator, enough to require two separate Wikipedia pages,” the Forward wrote.

Another frequent honoree is Roman Shukhevych, revered as a Ukrainian freedom fighter but also the leader of a feared Nazi auxiliary police unit that the Forward notes was “responsible for butchering thousands of Jews and … Poles.” Statues have also been raised for Yaroslav Stetsko, a one-time chair of the OUN, who wrote “I insist on the extermination of the Jews in Ukraine.”

Far-right groups have also gained political currency in the past decade, none more chilling than Svoboda (formerly the Social National Party of Ukraine), whose leader claimed the country was controlled by a “Muscovite-Jewish mafia” and whose deputy used an antisemitic slur to describe Ukrainian-born Jewish actor Mila Kunis. Svoboda has sent several members to Ukraine’s Parliament, including one who called the Holocaust a “bright period” in human history, according to Foreign Policy.

Just as disturbing, neo-Nazis are part of some of Ukraine’s growing ranks of volunteer battalions. They are battle-hardened after waging some of the toughest street fighting against Moscow-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine following Putin’s Crimean invasion in 2014. One is the Azov Battalion, founded by an avowed white supremacist who claimed Ukraine’s national purpose was to rid the country of Jews and other inferior races. In 2018, the U.S. Congress stipulated that its aid to Ukraine couldn’t be used “to provide arms, training or other assistance to the Azov Battalion.” Even so, Azov is now an official member of the Ukraine National Guard.

This sounds pretty familiar. 

Not sure about Ukraine having card carrying Nazis in elected positions as my attempts at researching that were not fruitful. It does seem like politically, that position has become very weak in recent years from what I can tell, but maybe there are a few out there? But hey, it's a good thing we didn't recently have elected members of Congress attend a white supremacist conference or be involved in an attempted coup of our government led by white supremacists. 

#215 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 03:51 PM

I’ll go with the thousands of hours of content I’ve listened to of his to judge him, rather than an orchestrated out of context hit job by the left designed to de-platform him.

It's not out of context though. Look, you can like him personally, you can think he's been a great podcaster, you can think in many ways he's a good dude, and that perhaps he's not racist in his heart, but you shouldn't be defending him on past use of racist slurs and racist statements. And he and Spotify deleted a lot of that stuff for good reason. 

#216 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 04:11 PM

Allan Ripp: Ukraine has a Nazi problem, but Vladimir Putin's 'denazification' claim for war is a lie. (nbcnews.com)

This sounds pretty familiar.
Not sure about Ukraine having card carrying Nazis in elected positions as my attempts at researching that were not fruitful. It does seem like politically, that position has become very weak in recent years from what I can tell, but maybe there are a few out there? But hey, it's a good thing we didn't recently have elected members of Congress attend a white supremacist conference or be involved in an attempted coup of our government led by white supremacists.

Yawn.

You forgot " What About" again.

Damn.

#217 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 04:13 PM

That seems like a fair approach.

It might cost you some esteem points for going against the narrative though.

#218 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 04:18 PM

Yawn.

You forgot " What About" again.

Damn.

You can keep incorrectly using that or maybe you can just admit what is incredibly obvious, which is that we have this problem here too. I'd guess, likely more so. 

#219 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 04:22 PM

You can keep incorrectly using that or maybe you can just admit what is incredibly obvious, which is that we have this problem here too. I'd guess, likely more so.

I get it.

It's only " What aboutism" when a right leaning person points out a flaw with the position of a left leaning person.

I have already conceded enough to your tangent position in this thread.

#220 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 04:35 PM

I get it.

It's only " What aboutism" when a right leaning points out a flaw with the position of a left leaning person.

I have already conceded enough to your tangent position in this thread.

I don't think I've ever used that term on here, so that ain't it.

I must have missed that concession of "my tangent" based on something you brought up to give all fairness to a pro Putin stance. I mean you liked a post so maybe that was a concession?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=