Photo

Balt Sun: Orioles altering Camden Yards’ left-field dimensions amid ballpark’s historic home run binge

• Please log in to reply
953 replies to this topic

#101 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 12:55 PM

Maybe the bullpen stays and it’s just a quirk in the ball park. Centerfield at Fenway is called the triangle, but it almost juts straight out from the bullpen like that to go another 20 feet deep out there.

Also down both lines at wrigley, the fence comes back in once you get to the gaps. It’s 355 down the lines, but only 368 in the gaps. It’s not a 30 foot difference, but it’s unique.
@BSLMikeRandall

#102 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:10 PM

PNC Park has a weird bullpen angle in basically the same spot, I think they're just gonna leave it like that 4947255338_d4597cffef_b.jpg

• Nigel Tufnel and Mike in STL like this

#103 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:12 PM

PNC Park has a weird bullpen angle in basically the same spot, I think they're just gonna leave it like that 4947255338_d4597cffef_b.jpg

Nothing wrong with emulating the nicest park in the land.

Runs away

#104 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:15 PM

Would also be cool if the LF foul pole stays right there and you get a Pesky pole thing going on. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#105 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:17 PM

Would also be cool if the LF foul pole stays right there and you get a Pesky pole thing going on. 

They're not moving the 333 LF pole. The address is 333 W. Camden, and of course Memorial Stadium was on 33rd street. I do think it'll have a Pesky sitch going, pretty neat.

• Mike in STL likes this

#106 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:18 PM

Think they will leave the BPs and have a sharp angle. Getting a ball to the upper BP is a damn shot.

#107 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:20 PM

It's at least 1500 seats they've taken out.

@BSLMikeRandall

#108 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,925 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:21 PM

That's a bigger visual change than I had in my mind.  Guessing they have to clear like 10-15 feet behind where the new wall will be for altitude purposes and then will build up and install new seats on top.  So all of the removed seats in that photo wouldn't be in play in that case, some will be replaced with new seats.

It's a bummer that this is the only interesting offseason move that the team will make.  But it is interesting, so at least we have one thing to talk about.

• You Play to Win the Game and DuffMan like this

#109 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:35 PM

That's a bigger visual change than I had in my mind. Guessing they have to clear like 10-15 feet behind where the new wall will be for altitude purposes and then will build up and install new seats on top. So all of the removed seats in that photo wouldn't be in play in that case, some will be replaced with new seats.

It's a bummer that this is the only interesting offseason move that the team will make. But it is interesting, so at least we have one thing to talk about.

Right. Dont think you have to get it the untarped seats to hit a HR.

Also, to be fair, there isnt anything else interesting they they could have done the last 6 weeks.

#110 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:39 PM

Right. Dont think you have to get it the untapped seats to hit a HR.

Also, to be fair, there isnt anything else interesting they they could have done the last 6 weeks.

You’re feeling like being fair?

Nah son, let’s be real, there isn’t anything they would’ve done even if they could’ve. You can both be in on Elias and acknowledge that fact.

#111 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 02:23 PM

You’re feeling like being fair?

Nah son, let’s be real, there isn’t anything they would’ve done even if they could’ve. You can both be in on Elias and acknowledge that fact.

Interesting was the word used. No, they werent going to spend money in FA. Trades certainly possible.

#112 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 03:04 PM

Yes, I expected it to be a fairly quiet offseason on all fronts. Im just saying you cant make a big stink when everything is shut down.

#113 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,483 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 January 2022 - 04:48 PM

(1) Give That Fan A Contract! on Twitter: "So this is pretty drastic… Definite Trumbo homer territory #Birdland https://t.co/FbfuLygAME" / Twitter

By my count, that's 15 rows of seats they removed. Agree with others that's probably not how far back the new wall will be. They just took more rows out to give them room to work. I'm betting about 5 rows of seats go back in.

#114 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 04:53 PM

Anyone know where I can find park factors listed.

#115 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,925 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:01 PM

Fangraphs and BB-Ref both have them.  Fangraphs are more well-sorted.  BB-ref lists it on each team's page for that season.  Not sure if they consolidate them anywhere easy to access.

https://www.fangraph...n=2020&teamid=0

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#116 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:11 PM

Safe to assume right-handed sluggers won't be near the top of their spending list when they open up the wallet???  :)

#117 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:16 PM

Would be curious to see the graph of all the HRs hit to LF over the last 5 years that would not have left under the new deminsions. And how often the opponent is doing it vs the Orioles players. Or even 10 yrs to take in having some of our HR leading teams .

#118 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:18 PM

It's at least 1500 seats they've taken out.

The three big sections directly facing the plate work out to 870 seats by my math.  Throw in the two that meet at an angle behind the pole, and the sliver near the bullpen, and you're probably just about right on.

#119 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 07:05 PM

Would be curious to see the graph of all the HRs hit to LF over the last 5 years that would not have left under the new deminsions. And how often the opponent is doing it vs the Orioles players. Or even 10 yrs to take in having some of our HR leading teams .

I tried to look for it, but goggling “mlb home run landing spots” brought up a bunch of articles about free agent “landing spots”.

Should have tried Bing I guess.

I also gave up rather quickly when my kid woke from his nap.
@BSLMikeRandall

#120 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:05 PM

I did read today that at least 5 or 6 of the homeruns Means gave up at Camden Yards would have been routine outs with this season's dimensions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=