3122 replies to this topic

#21 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 01:33 PM

I'd pick Hollywood's option up. If you think you're getting the version of him from the first half of the season before things fell apart, that's easily worth 13 mil.

And as frustrating as a lot of the coaching decisions over the course of the season have been, I can't imagine they don't all get a pass after this season. There's also a lot of credit deserved for what they pulled off too. But I could see Roman being on a bit shorter of a leash if the offense starts slow in 2022.

As I saw someone else post, seems like Roman's reached his ceiling here with this offense. It's been pretty much the same for him every stop of his career, and I don't see him as the man for the job to help the offense evolve into something more.

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 01:33 PM

Just didnt know how viable it was with our cap

You absolutely need to consider it versus what you could do with the money.  That's basically true for every dollar in the coming years, as cap will be a major concern once Lamar's value balloons. 

My assumption would be that at least half the savings are immediately burned in replacing him with a veteran WR like 2023's version of Sammy Watkins.  I don't think you'd just let him walk and roll with Bateman, Duvernay, Proche, Wallace, and any newly drafted WR.  So it's not Brown vs $13M in space in my mind, rather it's Brown vs $5M in space + Watkins or whoever.

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 01:35 PM

Is Wolfe realistically cuttable?

Not really.  His 2022 salary was guaranteed for injury, and since he missed the whole year he'd have a pretty good case for getting that paid even if cut.

And even if he doesn't and you don't have to pay him any salary to cut him, it'd only be $200k in savings.  So you'd spend more in replacing him with a minimum salary guy than you'd save.

#24 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 01:44 PM

Hopefully he can provide something next year. Wolfe that is. Pretty surprising they gave him a multi year deal with no realistic out after 1

#25 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:51 PM

It was nice seeing Peters so in to the game yesterday, albeit from the sideline. And given he's had a small history of being "unhappy" to different levels in other places, sure seems like he's about as happy as he can be here. That's another name you hear floated by random folks as a potential cap reduction, but any move that accomplishes that while also removing him from the team for next year is not one I'm in favor of...

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:53 PM

I don't expect any movement on either coordinator, but if for some reason Wink isn't here next year, would Flores be a good replacement candidate?  

Never been a DC, but was a defensive coach for the Patriots for several years before getting the Miami job.

• BSLChrisStoner and makoman like this

#27 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 03:13 PM

I don't expect any movement on either coordinator, but if for some reason Wink isn't here next year, would Flores be a good replacement candidate?  

Never been a DC, but was a defensive coach for the Patriots for several years before getting the Miami job.

I thought about that too. 8 years learning defensive coaching under Belichick can't hurt. He will probably get some looks at HC jobs but who knows what happens there, it's tough to step right in the same year you get fired, teams probably don't like that look.

Do former head coaches also count for coach comp picks? If he goes to be a DC I could see him being on the yearly interview circuit.

#28 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 03:14 PM

Zimmer would be my top target but I like Flores. Btw I think Zimmer will get another HC job soon. If not this year then next.

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 03:15 PM

Wouldnt be surprised if he goes back to NE for a year or two. He will def get another look as a HC at some point.

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 07:21 AM

Balt Sun: With their season over, some Ravens prepare for possible goodbyes: ‘We’ll see what happens’

#31 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 09:22 AM

Sure, though he was the most surprising fire and seems likely to be one of the top HC candidates immediately. Apparently it was more about a power struggle with the GM, and not necessarily performance related.

If it were an option though and Wink needed to be replaced, yes I think that would be a great move, albeit one that you end up replacing again soon once he gets another HC job.

It would be funny too, since it seems like quite a few people have grown tired of Wink's scheme, and Flores is arguably just as aggressive blitzing.

#32 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 11:35 AM

Sure, though he was the most surprising fire and seems likely to be one of the top HC candidates immediately. Apparently it was more about a power struggle with the GM, and not necessarily performance related.

If it were an option though and Wink needed to be replaced, yes I think that would be a great move, albeit one that you end up replacing again soon once he gets another HC job.

It would be funny too, since it seems like quite a few people have grown tired of Wink's scheme, and Flores is arguably just as aggressive blitzing.

Ironically from the Miami game on, Wink's defenses gave up 20 PPG defensively to close out the year. GB and Cincinnati torched our makeshift secondary. But in the other losses they gave up 17 offensive points to Miami, 20 to Pitt, 17 to Cleveland, 20 to the Rams and 16 to Pitt the second time. When a defense holds someone to 20 or less points, a good offense wins those games. As bad as the defense was at times. And as terrible as the secondary talent we had in the 2nd half, they didn't allow opposing teams to score a lot.

We know what Wink was dealt, talent-wise this season. For the talent disparity he dealt with, his defenses performed good enough in most games. They did have their issues at the end of games. But when your top CBs are a 33 year old Jimmy Smith and Chris Westry, it's hard to blame a scheme.

#33 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 12:17 PM

Fourth quarter defense was a problem:

Raiders - 17 pts + 6 in OT

Bengals - 14 pts

Dolphins - 16 pts

Steelers - 17 pts

Browns - 0 pts - this game was opposite

Packers - 10 pts

Bengals - 7 pts

Rams - 13 pts

Steelers - 7 pts + 3 in OT

#34 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 January 2022 - 12:18 PM

I need to be more realistic moving forward. Lamar has spoiled us to death, particularly 2019. I keep thinking that's the bench mark we need to be at, but pretty much everything went right that year and it was a historically strong performance. But I genuinely thought that's what we were looking at in 2021 before the injuries.

That doesn't have to be the blueprint to winning our next Super Bowl though. I'd settle for a 10-11 win team that doesn't have the same explosiveness on a consistent basis, but that does eliminate the mistakes. Incredibly sloppy football team this year. Turnovers galore, penalties (while not near the top, just awful timing on a consistent basis), not even the decisions to go for it on 4th or go for 2 but the play calls and execution. 

For a team that prides itself, in the image of John Harbaugh, on playing smart, disciplined football, that wasn't a thing this year at all. And injuries alone aren't to blame for that.

• ivanbalt likes this

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 12:45 PM

Fourth quarter defense was a problem:

Raiders - 17 pts + 6 in OT

Bengals - 14 pts

Dolphins - 16 pts

Steelers - 17 pts

Browns - 0 pts - this game was opposite

Packers - 10 pts

Bengals - 7 pts

Rams - 13 pts

Steelers - 7 pts + 3 in OT

I need to be more realistic moving forward. Lamar has spoiled us to death, particularly 2019. I keep thinking that's the bench mark we need to be at, but pretty much everything went right that year and it was a historically strong performance. But I genuinely thought that's what we were looking at in 2021 before the injuries.

That doesn't have to be the blueprint to winning our next Super Bowl though. I'd settle for a 10-11 win team that doesn't have the same explosiveness on a consistent basis, but that does eliminate the mistakes. Incredibly sloppy football team this year. Turnovers galore, penalties (while not near the top, just awful timing on a consistent basis), not even the decisions to go for it on 4th or go for 2 but the play calls and execution. 

For a team that prides itself, in the image of John Harbaugh, on playing smart, disciplined football, that wasn't a thing this year at all. And injuries alone aren't to blame for that.

To Ivan..  I think the injuries, and the reduced lack of depth would play into that some...

To Ricker...  I agree, injuries alone aren't to blame for that... but a revolving door of characters is part of it.  Going to be sloppier with reduced continuity. 

#36 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 January 2022 - 12:47 PM

To Ivan..  I think the injuries, and the reduced lack of depth would play into that some...

To Ricker...  I agree, injuries alone aren't to blame for that... but a revolving door of characters is part of it.  Going to be sloppier with reduced continuity. 

Reduced continuity, reduced trust (which I think for Lamar was probably the biggest issue he had in the passing game this year), etc. It's a major factor. But I think this team needs to be realistic and hone in on a more conservative, smart brand of football. That will open things back up over the top as well. 

#37 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 01:20 PM

Reduced continuity, reduced trust (which I think for Lamar was probably the biggest issue he had in the passing game this year), etc. It's a major factor. But I think this team needs to be realistic and hone in on a more conservative, smart brand of football. That will open things back up over the top as well. 

I agree about being more basic and conservative. If Dobbins and Edwards make it back healthy and can play a full season, its time to go back to pounding the hell out of teams and Lamar taking his shots downfield off play action. At the core, that's who they are and should have shown more of it this year.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 01:35 PM

I agree about being more basic and conservative. If Dobbins and Edwards make it back healthy and can play a full season, its time to go back to pounding the hell out of teams and Lamar taking his shots downfield off play action. At the core, that's who they are and should have shown more of it this year.

If they had had Dobbins and Edwards... I'm sure they would have run it more.  When they have them next year, I'm sure they will run more. 

But in '19, you had Yanda still at high level at RG, Brown at RT, and Stanley at an All-Pro level at LT...  ohh, and they were often in 2-3 TE sets. 

As we think about '22, the O-line is a question...   Ricard may or may not be back...   and you'll want to be getting Andrews / Bateman / Hollywood plenty of looks too. 

So, you probably don't have the personnel (blocking wise) to be as run centric as they were... but you also have better (Hollywood more established + Bateman) weapons in the passing game then you did. 

If you fix the line enough, you've got enough weapons to make teams pay no matter how they want to try and defend you.

• jamesdean likes this

#39 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 01:38 PM

Ironically from the Miami game on, Wink's defenses gave up 20 PPG defensively to close out the year. GB and Cincinnati torched our makeshift secondary. But in the other losses they gave up 17 offensive points to Miami, 20 to Pitt, 17 to Cleveland, 20 to the Rams and 16 to Pitt the second time. When a defense holds someone to 20 or less points, a good offense wins those games. As bad as the defense was at times. And as terrible as the secondary talent we had in the 2nd half, they didn't allow opposing teams to score a lot.

We know what Wink was dealt, talent-wise this season. For the talent disparity he dealt with, his defenses performed good enough in most games. They did have their issues at the end of games. But when your top CBs are a 33 year old Jimmy Smith and Chris Westry, it's hard to blame a scheme.

I agree. And even before things really fell apart personnel-wise, the pass defense was performing pretty well on a snap-to-snap basis. Unfortunately, they were good for a blown coverage resulting in a huge play a few times a game. But I think that bodes well for them getting healthy and at least mostly returning to the level of play we expect next season.

I think the coaching staff as a whole did a decent job of trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit for the better part of the year. There's plenty of fair criticism, but the roster is what it is when you have that level of horrible injury luck. I expect they'll run it back with the same coaching staff in 2022.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 03:06 PM

@ryanmink
The Ravens finished 6th in the NFL in total offensive yards without: RB J.K. Dobbins (17 games) RB Gus Edwards (17 games) LT Ronnie Stanley (16 games) TE Nick Boyle (12 games) QB Lamar Jackson (5 games) WR Rashod Bateman (5 games) FB Patrick Ricard (4 games)

Jackson shares his thoughts on Roman
https://ravenswire.u..._source=twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=