319 replies to this topic

#281 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 04:39 PM

It’s Ben’s last game ever. Totally want to win

Yeah I don't typically get worked up with Pittsburgh beyond important division game...But Ben's last game? Totally agree.

#282 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

End Ben's career the same way we sent out Polamalu.

#283 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Ben's last game... I respect everything he's accomplished, and hope the Ravens beat him by 30. :)

#284 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 02 January 2022 - 04:40 PM

I don't remember much about Taylor, but I think he probably had a bit more arm strength. Huntley is a great backup, but I'm not sure many teams would hand him a starting job.

I don't think many is the operative word. If Lamar, Murray, Allen and Fields have changed the game a bit, he might fit in with a few like minded teams.

#285 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 04:47 PM

Lamar, Murray, and Allen can still beat you with their arms. I don't think Huntley is a threat to do that and he's definitely not the runner those three are.

I haven't seen enough Fields to know what he is.
  • JStruds likes this

#286 CMU82

CMU82
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 04:52 PM

With time to cool off, kudos to the team again for the effort.  I predicted 34-20 Rams.  

Sadly, you just knew that LA would drive down the field late.  We've seen it time and again this year.   Then again, a great play by Smith on 3rd down, but overcome by a great catch by Beckham (damnit) on 4th down.  I am asking why the Rams weren't flagged for PI on the TD, considering  one of them barreled over a Ravens DB five yards into the end zone while the ball was in the air.  

• JStruds likes this

#287 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 04:57 PM

Cool off time or not. It was wrong when it happened, it was wrong when the game was over, and it'll still be wrong 6 months from now. It would have still been wrong if the Ravens defense makes the stop on 4th and 5 late too.

You DO NOT let your team take a delay of game penalty on 3rd and goal from the 4 with a chance to basically seal the game with a TD.

That's inexcusable.

Mash unit of players, playing as hard as they can to do what nobody thought possible, and at a critical moment where the coaching staff can make a heads up call to save them from a mistake, and KEEP THEM IN BETTER POSITION to win the game, they failed them. It happens too much.

#288 CMU82

CMU82
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 05:01 PM

^

Agreed

#289 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 05:22 PM

I don’t know if it’s Roman, the QBs, or some kind of directive from Harbs, but I’d really like to stop this seeming obsession with snapping the ball with 0 on the play clock. Something’s gotta change there.

#290 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 05:29 PM

I don’t know if it’s Roman, the QBs, or some kind of directive from Harbs, but I’d really like to stop this seeming obsession with snapping the ball with 0 on the play clock. Something’s gotta change there.

It's been a common theme throughout Harbaugh's time here. Delay of game penalties or wasted timeouts to save delay of game penalties because calls get in too late, or subs get in too late, whatever. Multiple OCs, multiple QBs, same common constant problem.

Remember the 2008 AFC divisional playoff game win at TEN, big play late from Flacco to Heap that set up the winning FG... snap was well after the clock hit zero. Tucker's 66 yard FG at DET probably doesn't happen if the Ravens don't get away with a VERY expired play clock.

It's a constant occurrence for well over a decade now... and then today you're in a TD almost certainly wins the game situation... and you ALLOW the playclock to expire on 3rd and goal from the 4??? How?????

#291 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 05:46 PM

Even better... Harbaugh actually threw Huntley under the bus on the delay of game in the post game press conference. Said "the delay of games are disappointing between him and the center".

Are you kidding me dude? Watching the late games, I've twice seen coaches call TOs at the last instant to save their QBs / team from taking a delay of game call on 3rd down plays. What the actual fark??? Maybe have the friggin situational awareness in a MASSIVELY CRITICAL SITUATION TO YOUR PLAYOFF CHANCES to be ready to help out your young, still inexperienced QB making his third (?) NFL start!!! You're not a bystander, you're the ultimate authority and decision maker.

#292 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 05:48 PM

Agree that lots of the delay of game blame falls on Harbaugh. I get they are trying to run every second of the clock, but you can't take that penalty there.

#293 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 06:00 PM

I got bad news for you. Like really bad news. Like hes got as much job security in this league as anyone bad news

Belichick.  Whoever wins the Super Bowl this year.  Reid.  Who else has more?  Not Tomlin.  Not Arians.  Not McVay.  LaFleur maybe?  

#294 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 06:59 PM

After finally watching the game since I was traveling when it was on. Kudos to the team for putting up a fight in a game they they should have been massacred. But why was the Rams best receiver running free the whole game? And I'm talking wide open looks. 

#295 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 07:03 PM

Ok, so who here is smart enough to figure out the miracle scenario it would take for the Ravens to sneak in as the 7th seed with a win next week? I'm half kidding because it won't matter even if they do, but I'd much rather see them finish the season with some pride and send Ben packing on a low note than pack it in. I doubt one more loss is moving the needle much for their draft position.

Well, since you asked.  Both the Ravens and the Steelers are now on life support and I would deem it critical.  If the Steelers lose to Cleveland, they are out.  The two biggest daggers to both of their chances today were the Raiders beating the Colts, and the Chargers beating the Broncos (that game is 27-6 in the 4thq so I am assuming).  

If I've done this correctly (and ESPN's site is accurate), that sets the Chargers/Raiders matchup next week as a win and in for them. The winner of that game gets to 10 wins.  Neither the Ravens or Steelers can get there.   That's probably your Sunday night game next week.  And here is how both the Ravens and Steelers chances are on life support.  For either to make the playoffs, they need the Colts to lose next week.  The Colts play the Jaguars.  It is in Jacksonville, but really the Colts need to win and they are in the playoffs.  Hard to see Jacksonville beating them.  

If the Colts lose to Jacksonville, then the Ravens need the Raiders to beat the Chargers.  The Ravens win the tiebreaker with the Chargers.  If the Chargers beat the Raiders, the Raiders win the tiebreaker with the Ravens.  If the Steelers beat Cleveland and the Ravens, they "only" need Jacksonville to win.  At that point the winner of the Raiders/Chargers game is in, the loser out.  Both the Raiders and Chargers get in if the Ravens beat Pittsburgh and the Chargers beat the Raiders.  

Also of note, by virtue of Cincinnati beating KC today, Tennessee can get the #1 seed by beating the Texans at Houston next week.  That means that even against all odds the hapless Jacksonville Jaguars manage to beat Colts next week, and either the Steelers or the Ravens sneak in, their reward would be first round trip to Kansas City.  

The Raiders beating the Colts today really screwed the Ravens.  (Acknowledging of course that the Ravens screwed themselves by losing today)  It throws Vegas back into the playoff mix and makes the Ravens chances dependent upon Jacksonville beating Indy next week.  

• Bmore Irish likes this

#296 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 07:03 PM

After finally watching the game since I was traveling when it was on. Kudos to the team for putting up a fight in a game they they should have been massacred. But why was the Rams best receiver running free the whole game? And I'm talking wide open looks. 

He's a zone killer and man, he killed every zone look today.  Same thing Andrews always does and the opposing team's fans must be saying afterwards.  You can't play man all day, at least not with this secondary.

#297 CMU82

CMU82
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 07:19 PM

Cowboys scored a TD to cut their deficit to 22-13 with 14 minutes left a few minutes ago.  Decided to go for 2 (see, it's not that unusual at that point of the game).  But they had a frickin' delay of game penalty <face palm> Damn near missed the 38 yard PAT.   

#298 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 09:23 PM

He's a zone killer and man, he killed every zone look today.  Same thing Andrews always does and the opposing team's fans must be saying afterwards.  You can't play man all day, at least not with this secondary.

Then you adjust for that. You seem to give the coaches a lot of latitude. 

#299 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 January 2022 - 09:28 PM

I saw it first hand.  Stafford is so good at hitting the high points of the zone,  I thought the Ravens did as well as possible, but just could not finish.  losing 4 games by 5 points is hard to take but with all the players returning and an unexpected better draft slot, 22 will be a better year.

@mikeghg

#300 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 09:40 PM

Then you adjust for that. You seem to give the coaches a lot of latitude.

They can't play man every play, can they?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=