• Please log in to reply
319 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 01:52 PM

ESPN's Matchup Predictor gives the Rams a 58.3% chance of winning.

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:01 PM

More like 88.3%

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 08:56 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens CB Anthony Averett, OLB Odafe Oweh among 11 missing at practice; OT Ja’Wuan James won’t return this season

#4 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:07 AM

Interesting that ESPN only gave the Bengals a 53% chance of winning and they were at home with almost no chance that Jackson would start.  Now the Rams are a 58% chance of winning on the road and Jackson might play.  Only thing I can figure is they saw the secondary and downgraded them from even what they thought they would be last week.

I don't think the Rams are unbeatable.  They went through a three game losing streak and have to come to Baltimore to play.  This year the Ravens are 3-5 on the road and 5-2 at home.  They just took a GB team right to the end of the game at home.  Stafford has had a lot of turnovers in the second half of the season.  One negative is that the Rams are still in a fight for the division and even a #1 seed possibility so they should be up for the game.  I don't expect a win, but I don't think this is as much an expected loss as Cincinnati was.  

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:16 AM

I have no idea what goes into ESPN's predictions, but I think that in-division games are often more evenly matched than out-of-division games than the overall talent levels of the rosters would imply.   

#6 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 12:07 PM

My optimistic take for this game is that the secondary, and defense as a whole, seem to be getting some guys back, and Stafford has been up and down in the second half of the season. He's certainly not playing at the level he was earlier in the year when he was getting some MVP talk.

Cooper Kupp is still a big problem, and their receiving corps as a whole is a mismatch for the secondary in this state, but the Rams are leaning on their running game a lot more lately and that's something I think the Ravens can contain better. Basically, with some better player availability on Sunday, I think they can at least do enough to keep it close and give themselves a chance like they did vs GB.

#7 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 12:33 PM

I have no idea what goes into ESPN's predictions, but I think that in-division games are often more evenly matched than out-of-division games than the overall talent levels of the rosters would imply.

I think for those it’s just some data on points per yard or per drive or something, run through a Monte Carlo simulation around 10,000 times.
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 December 2021 - 12:46 PM

All Ravens with the exception of Josh Oliver are now off the Covid list.  Time to give it hell.

@mikeghg

#9 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 12:52 PM

My optimistic take for this game is that the secondary, and defense as a whole, seem to be getting some guys back, and Stafford has been up and down in the second half of the season. He's certainly not playing at the level he was earlier in the year when he was getting some MVP talk.

Cooper Kupp is still a big problem, and their receiving corps as a whole is a mismatch for the secondary in this state, but the Rams are leaning on their running game a lot more lately and that's something I think the Ravens can contain better. Basically, with some better player availability on Sunday, I think they can at least do enough to keep it close and give themselves a chance like they did vs GB.

Kupp might put up 150 and 2. OBJ probably puts up 75 and a td. It's just going to be a slaughter.

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 December 2021 - 01:13 PM

Kupp might put up 150 and 2. OBJ probably puts up 75 and a td. It's just going to be a slaughter.

Happy New Year!!  Keep those positive vibes coming! :-P

@mikeghg

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 December 2021 - 03:53 PM

ESPN: Lamar doesn’t practice day after limping badly
https://www.espn.com...ng-badly-return

#12 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 30 December 2021 - 04:31 PM

ESPN: Lamar doesn’t practice day after limping badly
https://www.espn.com...ng-badly-return

Good. Easy decision to let him get healthy vs risking more prolonged recovery from playing too soon.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#13 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 05:46 PM

That would be enough for me.  If he isn't near 100%, A) I'm not risking it, and B) whoever the Ravens QB is needs to be mobile against the Rams DL that will most likely destroy the Ravens patchwork Oline.  

#14 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 06:22 PM

I think the only way the Ravens win this game is if they can force a couple of points producing turnovers.  If not, the Rams just have too much in their offensive arsenal.  It's good that some of better defensive backfield players are returning but they weren't very good to begin with so I don't see how Stafford & Co. have a whole lot to worry about.  As I said, if the Ravens don't score over 30 points, they don't have much of a chance.

LA 31; Baltimore 20 

• JStruds likes this

#15 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 06:25 PM

Good. Easy decision to let him get healthy vs risking more prolonged recovery from playing too soon.

I think we've seen the last of Lamar for 2021.  Harbaugh can play his silly, little games with "spin the injury" but I think it's pretty obvious he isn't close to being ready and you've only got 2 more games.  

#16 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 08:49 PM

I think we've seen the last of Lamar for 2021.  Harbaugh can play his silly, little games with "spin the injury" but I think it's pretty obvious he isn't close to being ready and you've only got 2 more games.  

If he wasn't close, he wouldn't have practiced yesterday. It's closer than missing an entire week like he has the last two anyway. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 02:27 AM

TBH I think he should be shut down for the season. Even if we somehow make the playoffs.

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 05:49 AM

Kind of what I expected. Props to Lamar for giving it a go but it felt like  a lingering issue.

#19 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 06:41 AM

If he wasn't close, he wouldn't have practiced yesterday. It's closer than missing an entire week like he has the last two anyway. 

If he can't move around without limping, he's not close. 

• JStruds likes this

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 December 2021 - 09:20 AM

Kind of what I expected. Props to Lamar for giving it a go but it seemed like this is a lingering issue.

Ankles are hard to figure.  I think he may have gotten out there and felt the soreness.  

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=