5723 replies to this topic

#101 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 12:15 PM

You're ignoring it when you claim he's trending in the wrong direction. Considering the injuries and lack of an O line, he's literally the only reason this team is in first placein the division right now. I can't wait to see your meltdown when he gets his extension this off season.  :mrgreen:

It sure isnt because of the outstanding HC actions.

• bmore_ken likes this

#102 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 12:28 PM

Not sure why the football going away thing is some gotcha moment for you. I watch and Im entertained enough by the sport but it likely should go away and I wont cry if it does. The toll it puts on a body and the brain is serious shit. It shorten lives or makes living in your golden years hell for way too many men.

You did not say it for those reasons or in that context. You were frustrated by the game and just wished it would all disappear. Little kids do that.

#103 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 12:29 PM

You're ignoring it when you claim he's trending in the wrong direction. Considering the injuries and lack of an O line, he's literally the only reason this team is in first placein the division right now. I can't wait to see your meltdown when he gets his extension this off season. :mrgreen:

I won't have a meltdown. I expect it.

#104 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 12:33 PM

I won't have a meltdown. I expect it.

You'll still have a meltdown and I'm here for it.

#105 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 12:36 PM

You'll still have a meltdown and I'm here for it.

Ooooookay then. Not sure why I'd have a meltdown for something I literally expect to occur.

#106 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 12:39 PM

You did not say it for those reasons or in that context. You were frustrated by the game and just wished it would all disappear. Little kids do that.

Lol. Did this man just talk about someone else melting down. Which btw wasnt the case. The NFL is a bad product or it at least should be much better. On top of the other reasons why it should go away

#107 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 12:41 PM

You're ignoring it when you claim he's trending in the wrong direction. Considering the injuries and lack of an O line, he's literally the only reason this team is in first placein the division right now. I can't wait to see your meltdown when he gets his extension this off season. :mrgreen:

TBF, there is an argument to be made that when he takes up 15-25% of the cap space, there are going to be holes on the roster like there are now. He has to be able to overcome those obstacles.
@BSLMikeRandall

#108 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 12:56 PM

To me, a lot of this is short-sighted. You can't take his last 4 or 5 games and say that is what he is, and as good as he'll be from now on. Every QB has their ebbs and flows. Why do we assume Lamar cannot go back to unanimous MVP Lamar?

Their is an argument to trading him and rebuilding with a rookie first rounder. It's viable.

But I'd rather move forward with the sure thing, vs a 30%-40% chance at being above average.

I'd give Lamar next year. Let the team get healthy again. Let him have his top notch RB's and all-pro LT back. Dobbins and Edwards are game changers to a defense. You fear Dobbins getting loose. You fear an inside zone, read option to Edwards. You can't focus 100% on Lamar when he has a legitimate running game.

If Lamar were playing like he has with Dobbins, Edwards and a healthy line, I'd be worried, and would agree with possibly trading and rebuilding with another QB. But he's not. He's playing behind a below average line, facing all out blitzes, with absolutely no consistent running game.

#109 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 01:28 PM

TBF, there is an argument to be made that when he takes up 15-25% of the cap space, there are going to be holes on the roster like there are now. He has to be able to overcome those obstacles.

That's the price to pay for  any team with a real franchise qb. That doesn't mean the team will have to consist of geriatric running backs and O linemen though

#110 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 01:31 PM

To me, a lot of this is short-sighted. You can't take his last 4 or 5 games and say that is what he is, and as good as he'll be from now on. Every QB has their ebbs and flows. Why do we assume Lamar cannot go back to unanimous MVP Lamar?

Their is an argument to trading him and rebuilding with a rookie first rounder. It's viable.

But I'd rather move forward with the sure thing, vs a 30%-40% chance at being above average.

I'd give Lamar next year. Let the team get healthy again. Let him have his top notch RB's and all-pro LT back. Dobbins and Edwards are game changers to a defense. You fear Dobbins getting loose. You fear an inside zone, read option to Edwards. You can't focus 100% on Lamar when he has a legitimate running game.

If Lamar were playing like he has with Dobbins, Edwards and a healthy line, I'd be worried, and would agree with possibly trading and rebuilding with another QB. But he's not. He's playing behind a below average line, facing all out blitzes, with absolutely no consistent running game.

The problem is Lamar might not give the team next year. A holdout is a real possibility. While from what we've seen from him, that doesn't seem like the guy he is. But when you're talking the kind of money we're talking about with his extension it's a real possibility. I think we're lucky he doesn't have an agent. Because if I'm his agent, I'm advising him to hold out without a contract extension. 

• Mackus likes this

#111 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 01:55 PM

The data is skewed by injuries and a bad O line. Why you conveniently want to ignore that is beyond me.

Have also noticed, and I really dont think Im exagerating, that slides posting rate has at least tripled in the last few weeks. Interesting that it coincides with the team losing.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#112 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 01:57 PM

The problem is Lamar might not give the team next year. A holdout is a real possibility. While from what we've seen from him, that doesn't seem like the guy he is. But when you're talking the kind of money we're talking about with his extension it's a real possibility. I think we're lucky he doesn't have an agent. Because if I'm his agent, I'm advising him to hold out without a contract extension. 

A qualified agent might be whispering in his ear to force a trade from Baltimore. Is he a better passer today than he was three years ago? He’s still struggling with his progressions, and the team built a run-first offense and saw wisdom to deal a starting OT to the AFC Champion this past offseason. 

Just saying, those are other reasons you should be happy he’s gone rogue without an agent.

• bmore_ken likes this

#113 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 02:44 PM

If I was his agent, or his Mom, I'd have advise him to hold out before this season.  The season has gone off the rails (though amazingly still have division title aspirations) but Lamar did the team a huge solid by showing up for camp and playing this year.  

Like you, I suspect he will do so again next season.  But I think that is a pretty bad decision from an economic standpoint.  The risk of a major injury isn't the concern, Dak showed that even if a star QB suffers a major injury they will still get paid top dollar if they are due, the big concern is a career-ender.  He's had the 5th year option guaranteed for a while now, so he was always going to end up being paid a huge number, but that's still a small percentage of what he'll get in guaranteed dollars from an extension.

• bmore_ken likes this

#114 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 02:45 PM

Is he a better passer today than he was three years ago? 

Yes, far better.

#115 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2021 - 02:48 PM

Yes, far better.

He's leading the league in turnovers, and passer rating is significantly worse this year. Completion % is what it was last year, but down from 2019. I do think he's a better passer, not sure if he's far better. I think it's circumstantial right now. Hope I'm right.

EDIT: I guess 3 years ago is his rookie year, technically, so yes he's definitely far better from that, even with this season's issues. But he's regressed in a big way from 2019 and 2020, but again, context.

#116 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 03:02 PM

He's leading the league in turnovers, and passer rating is significantly worse this year. Completion % is what it was last year, but down from 2019. I do think he's a better passer, not sure if he's far better. I think it's circumstantial right now. Hope I'm right.

EDIT: I guess 3 years ago is his rookie year, technically, so yes he's definitely far better from that, even with this season's issues. But he's regressed in a big way from 2019 and 2020, but again, context.

He's making a bunch of mistakes lately, but I don't think those are reflective of his skills (or lack thereof) as a passer.  His struggles aren't because he can't make the throws.

Overall, I think he's far more accurate now than he was in the past on short, middle, and long throws.  The tools have improved, I guess.  The usage of those tools is rather shaky lately.

• You Play to Win the Game, Bmore Irish and makoman like this

#117 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2021 - 03:04 PM

Well said, I like that distinction. It's very true.

#118 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 03:09 PM

DEJA VU.

I remember when Flacco got his big contract.

OH was up in arms. Some were against it and some were fully in support.

Doesnt seam much different now.

#119 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 03:11 PM

He's making a bunch of mistakes lately, but I don't think those are reflective of his skills (or lack thereof) as a passer.  His struggles aren't because he can't make the throws.

Overall, I think he's far more accurate now than he was in the past on short, middle, and long throws.  The tools have improved, I guess.  The usage of those tools is rather shaky lately.

TBH honest from watching the games it seems to me that a lot of his mistakes have come from being pressured thanks to his lousy O line. And with a lack of a solid running backs, he seems to be trying to make something happen on every play even when there's nothing there as opposed to taking a sack or taking off with the ball. I don't think there's an issue with his skills. 

#120 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 03:33 PM

Agree with this, also his rating was 96.2 after the Vikings game. That's down from last year but would be better than Mahomes, tied with Allen. It's dropped a ton since then. Obviously they all count but that was half the year and passing wasn't really the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=