5723 replies to this topic

#5061 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 05:50 PM

Btw this is why Im convinced Lamar is being used by the PA. They know he doesnt have proper and adequate representation. I sense Lamar isnt trying to rock the boat with the PA. He will fall in line pretty easily. Still comes back to being baffled why he wont hire an agent. If I could ask Lamar one question thats easily the one right now

He was being used to get the next guaranteed deal, that's all. Once they realized no one was interested giving it to him, or not interested at all they are moving on to the next player.

#5062 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 05:56 PM

1. He knew the rules and at least skirted them if not violated them. 

Result - bad look.

2. He didn't know the rules and now he does.

Result - bad look.

How can a guy who is wanting the kind of money only lottery winners can think of and not be smart enough to read and understand the rules guiding his situation. That just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy on his intelligence level. Nothing wrong with not understanding something that may be quite complex. Which is exactly why you hire someone who does understand those complexities.

The rules are in place so not just anyone can contact a club to talk about a player. This Saint Omni guy who was calling teams about a trade for Smith is at least known. I doubt DeCosta took his call before looking to trade.

#5063 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:18 PM

I think it's the exact same.

And at a technical level, I don't think Lamar can violate that rule. It's certainly unprofessional, but he can send anyone he wants to negotiate with a team and there isn't any penalty he might face. It's the team's responsibility to not negotiate with any rep that isn't authorized by the union.

Haha. That's right.

Lamar, just send more guys. It's all good for you. Some stupid owner will trip up. 

Except that once it is found out that a non-licensed person acted as an agent, any contract or deal is null and void. It still makes him stupid. 

• Hooded Viper likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#5064 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:18 PM

To me it is clear, Lamar doesn't know what he's doing. This is from Wikipedia, "Dunning-Kruger Effect:"

“In 2011, David Dunning wrote about his observations that people with substantial, measurable deficits in their knowledge or expertise lack the ability to recognize those deficits and, therefore, despite potentially making error after error, tend to think they are performing competently when they are not. In short, those who are incompetent, for lack of a better term, should have little insight into their incompetence—an assertion that has come to be known as the Dunning–Kruger effect.”

That sounds a lot like where Jackson is coming from in business. He doesn't even know how much he doesn't know.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#5065 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:38 PM

To me it is clear, Lamar doesn't know what he's doing. This is from Wikipedia, "Dunning-Kruger Effect:"

“In 2011, David Dunning wrote about his observations that people with substantial, measurable deficits in their knowledge or expertise lack the ability to recognize those deficits and, therefore, despite potentially making error after error, tend to think they are performing competently when they are not. In short, those who are incompetent, for lack of a better term, should have little insight into their incompetence—an assertion that has come to be known as the Dunning–Kruger effect.”

That sounds a lot like where Jackson is coming from in business. He doesn't even know how much he doesn't know.
This is one of my favorite phenomena. It goes the other way too. People who are extremely skilled tend to have a more modest view of their own abilities, because they know enough to understand all the ways they could still improve, no matter how small.

And I agree. This fits the way Jackson is handling his contract negotiation perfectly.

#5066 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:16 PM

I am really curious for the exclusive interview to come out. It could show thoughtful perspective on the situation, or it could further the it’s a clueless shitshow narrative.
  • Mike in STL and mdrunning like this

#5067 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:28 PM

I am really curious for the exclusive interview to come out. It could show thoughtful perspective on the situation, or it could further the it’s a clueless shitshow narrative.

He's interviewing himself, hocking his gimmicky merchandise, and advertising it like it's a reality TV drama.

I'd say we already know what it's going to look like.

#5068 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:29 PM

I think he signs a long term deal within a few days now.  Who wouldn't after hearing the Raven's signed Nelson Agholar?   Be crazy not to.  lol

• mdrunning likes this

#5069 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:34 PM

He's interviewing himself, hocking his gimmicky merchandise, and advertising it like it's a reality TV drama.

I'd say we already know what it's going to look like.

I mean, at this point I can't say I don't expect an informercial for Era 8 Apparel and The Entire Gym, but I am hopeful for more.

#5070 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:49 PM

Boats and Hoes!  :-P

• Mike in STL likes this

#5071 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 05:54 AM

I think he signs a long term deal within a few days now.  Who wouldn't after hearing the Raven's signed Nelson Agholar?   Be crazy not to.  lol

Hope so. Open up some space. Bring Campbell back and sign a few more bench pieces.

#5072 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 March 2023 - 01:12 PM

I think I overreacted a bit, per usual. Sorry Mackus. Still don’t love it, but it’s pretty clear the machine is out to smear Lamar at every turn possible. I don’t love that. Even if Lamar should be taking this more seriously.
  • hallas and makoman like this

#5073 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 01:39 PM

I think I overreacted a bit, per usual. Sorry Mackus. Still don’t love it, but it’s pretty clear the machine is out to smear Lamar at every turn possible. I don’t love that. Even if Lamar should be taking this more seriously.

Yeah, I think both are true. The machine wants him to fail, cause the machine prefers everyone to have an agent, and he’s the highest profile guy not to. But also he’s not doing this in the best way.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#5074 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 04:24 PM

Agents also act as a salesman for you. When teams have questions, they spin it into a positive. I think Lamar thought he would just be gifted the next big contract after 2019 and didn’t have to earn it. His play would speak for itself to teams. Unfortunately his play, or lack there of, raises questions he, and the Ravens for that matter, don’t seem interested in answering. Where as an agent, in addition to understanding the legalities, sells teams on why you are worth what your asking.

If an agent gets you $200M and you can only get yourself $175M, that 3% fee seems well worth it.

But that’s clearly over his head.
@BSLMikeRandall

#5075 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 04:45 PM

Two years ago, I would have argued strenuously that we need to resign Lamar. After watching the past several months play out, I gotta say, the taste has somewhat soured.

#5076 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 04:59 PM

Agents also act as a salesman for you. When teams have questions, they spin it into a positive. I think Lamar thought he would just be gifted the next big contract after 2019 and didn’t have to earn it. His play would speak for itself to teams. Unfortunately his play, or lack there of, raises questions he, and the Ravens for that matter, don’t seem interested in answering. Where as an agent, in addition to understanding the legalities, sells teams on why you are worth what your asking.

If an agent gets you $200M and you can only get yourself $175M, that 3% fee seems well worth it.

But that’s clearly over his head.

Also, pretty sure Lombardi said on his board that he’s heard agents have offered 1%. Has he cost himself $2-3M at this point? I’d say that’s possible.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#5077 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,360 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 08:01 PM

Yeah. Good take. I hate the smear campaign from pretty much all angles on Lamar right now. Especially local. That said Lamar isnt taking it seriously enough. Thats really the fault by Lamar here and its well said by you. Only hurting himself so why all the hate.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#5078 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 25 March 2023 - 09:22 PM

Yeah. Good take. I hate the smear campaign from pretty much all angles on Lamar right now. Especially local. That said Lamar isnt taking it seriously enough. Thats really the fault by Lamar here and its well said by you. Only hurting himself so why all the hate.

I think that this is true, but he also should have known that he has a target on his back and he needs to be doing it better and cleaner than everyone else. Is it fair? Not really. But if he wants to be the king he needs to take the heat.

#5079 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 01:24 AM

I don't believe anything being leveled at Lamar is unfair.  Anything he is getting he has totally brought on himself.  Four years ago the guy was on his way to legend status as a Baltimore sports hero.  On purple Fridays most of the jerseys you saw were #8.  Now he could end up running onto the field to a chorus of boos on opening day this September.  But there is no agent, so there is no one to blame for this mess on his end except Lamar Jackson.  

#5080 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 08:09 AM

Also, pretty sure Lombardi said on his board that he’s heard agents have offered 1%. Has he cost himself $2-3M at this point? I’d say that’s possible.

I think he probably can still negotiate a deal that's more or less within 1% of what an agent could get him at this point. Seems to be the non-monetary aspects of the process that are being botched and not actual negotiations. Not sure we'll hear about details of any negotiation.

I do think there is a case that what he can sign for now may be less than what he's already turned down, so you could argue an agent would've helped him reach that decision to sign earlier for less than desired. I doubt Lamar would have taken that advice, but perhaps.

If Lamar is content to play on the tag this year unless the Ravens or someone else offer him what he wants, then he doesn't need an agent to achieve that. That approach again may end up costing him money overall, but having a agent would just cost him even more unless we're back to the path of him listening to advice rather than executing a contract.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=