#5021 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:42 PM

I think it's kind of questionable to assume ignorance/ill-preparedness when the other two prominent players without agents (Tunsil and Roquan) both caused the NFL to send memos out about unregistered agents contacting teams on the player's behalf.

The fact that Roquan signed a deal with us kind of makes it water under the bridge for us.  But Bears fans seem much less enamored with his behavior surrounding the contract talks.

Then they were ignorant, too. This further shows the value of having a professional handle this stuff. 

It's precisely why I don't try to fix my own HVAC....because I don't know how to.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#5022 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:46 PM

Then they were ignorant, too. This further shows the value of having a professional handle this stuff. 

It's precisely why I don't try to fix my own HVAC....because I don't know how to.

Not the best example on the HVAC... I've first-timed a ton of home repairs since i bought my house...  :mrgreen:

• Mackus and PrimeTime like this

#5023 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:46 PM

Its not a big deal unless he insists on having someone non-certified speak for him, which I doubt will be the case.  Seems likely to me that he didn't know the rule and sent a business partner to reach out to teams.  Maybe that guy discussed numbers, maybe not, either way he isn't allowed to do that so the league reminded everybody via the memo, probably laying it on thick so that Lamar got the message.  Fair to say Lamar should've known better, but really, where is the harm done?  

I don't think it's ignorance, I think he just was trying to get his buddy to skirt the rules to gauge interest.  It's still kind of weird.  He had to have known that this would likely leak because there are no shortage of parties in this situation that have an incentive to make Lamar and his camp look like a crew of amateurs.

#5024 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:50 PM

I'd be less concerned about this Ken Francis as a representative and more so as Lamar's so-called business partner. How many stories have we read about athletes investing money in some cockamamie enterprise and losing every dime as a result? When you're an athlete and you have money, people are always pitching some crazy scheme which has about as much chance of succeeding as there is of colonizing Mars.

If Lamar wants a guarantee, he may have found one, but not in the way he's envisioning. Caveat emptor.

#5025 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:51 PM

Forgive me if I dont buy that Lamar invested much if any money into that product. Hes prob being given a cut of sales to advertise and promote

#5026 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:07 PM

Its not a big deal unless he insists on having someone non-certified speak for him, which I doubt will be the case.  Seems likely to me that he didn't know the rule and sent a business partner to reach out to teams.  Maybe that guy discussed numbers, maybe not, either way he isn't allowed to do that so the league reminded everybody via the memo, probably laying it on thick so that Lamar got the message.  Fair to say Lamar should've known better, but really, where is the harm done?  

For the Ravens organization, there could have possibly been some harm but mainly, the situation paints Lamar as a liar trying to cover his tracks.  Immaturity?  Sure, but its the overall lack of common sense and a lot of short-sightedness that has him where he sits right now. Maybe us fans are piling on a bit but if he's still with the Ravens this year, his room for error grows markedly smaller with each passing day.  

#5027 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:28 PM

I think it's pretty naive to think that shady stuff doesn't occur with or without an agent involved.  The teams with QB needs publicly declaring that they are out on Lamar 5 minutes after he was tagged was shady too.

I think Lamar should probably know better than go this route, but mostly because he had to have known that this would get leaked and make his side look like a shitshow.  It just wasn't worth the PR hit.

• Hooded Viper likes this

#5028 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:31 PM

The NFL sent the memo to teams, not the NFLPA, right?

The league also sent a memo last summer in regards to Roquon Smith.

His teammate. Which he easily could’ve had a 2 minute conversation about this stuff with. But didn’t.

Regarding character - maybe I’m confused about what character means. It isn’t just about being good or bad IMO, although it can be. It is about things like your maturity, your effort, etc etc. those things define one’s character. I know what some of you probably think about my character, for instance, even though I know I’m a good person doesn’t mean some of the criticisms of me aren’t fair in their own right.

I think I’m seeing why they don’t let him audible at the line. Guy refuses to get an agent but won’t bother checking into the rules. Why is that someone you trust to make play call decision? I do think there are things that can be inferred by seeing this play out. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.

Biases can work both ways as well. Some of you are fans of him to the point where the Trump shoot someone on 5th Ave quote could apply. Some have soured to the point that their takes can sometimes be skimmed through lightly or even disregarded entirely.

The infighting continues to be ridiculous. This part isn’t aimed at you, Mackus. You are the least confrontational poster here. I’m way more guilty at that part but trying genuinely to work on it.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#5029 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:58 PM

Seems to me these guys who dont have agents all get this treatment. Some intermediary reaches out to teams in some way and the NFL sends a warning shot and a reminder to the teams. Absolutely can believe Lamar didnt plan and doesnt plan on this guy actually negotiating a contract for him.  Someone has to reach out and start contacting teams on Lamars behalf. Its not gonna be Lamar, nor does anyone really expect it to be Lamar. None of you expected it to be Lamar and  neither did any of the teams. Nothing to see here. Just the NFL crossing Ts and dotting I's. But of course this is some big deal for the Ravens flock.

#5030 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:03 PM

Seems to me these guys who dont have agents all get this treatment. Some intermediary reaches out to teams in some way and the NFL sends a warning shot and a reminder to the teams. Absolutely can believe Lamar didnt plan and doesnt plan on this guy actually negotiating a contract for him. Someone has to reach out and start contacting teams on Lamars behalf. Its not gonna be Lamar, nor does anyone really expect it to be Lamar. None of you expected it to be Lamar and neither did any of the teams. Nothing to see here. Just the NFL crossing Ts and dotting I's. But of course this is some big deal for the Ravens flock.

Why shouldn’t it be Lamar? If he wants someone to represent him, why can’t it be someone who is allowed under the rules? If he wants to DIY then fine, but that means he has to do it. That’s the trade off.
  • Steve55 likes this

#5031 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:04 PM

It’s not just the Ravens flock. From what I gather from my non Ravens fans friends and general fan sentiment from Reddit and such is that he just doesn’t give AF and looks foolish for clearly not taking any of this seriously.

Doesn’t mean anyone hates him. But it’s just silly.

#5032 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:06 PM

Why shouldn’t it be Lamar? If he wants someone to represent him, why can’t it be someone who is allowed under the rules? If he wants to DIY then fine, but that means he has to do it. That’s the trade off.

He doesnt want an agent. Why should it have to be an NFLPA agent that talks and shoots the shit. If it has to be an agent or Lamar to actually negotiate whatever but I call bull on needing to be an agent to represent Lamar for all talks

#5033 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:07 PM

It’s not just the Ravens flock. From what I gather from my non Ravens fans friends and general fan sentiment from Reddit and such is that he just doesn’t give AF and looks foolish for clearly not taking any of this seriously.

Doesn’t mean anyone hates him. But it’s just silly.

Bingo.

It's a cumulative effect of frustration building up. I think it's safe to say that most of us on the board and in the fanbase in general would like to have Lamar under center for the next few years but the whole thing has gotten beyond tedious. From the the apparent lack of communication on Lamar's part, to the reported unwillingness to try to find a middle ground, to the social media silliness and now this stuff with his "representative" or whatever and his goofy, rejected Shark Tank fitness project gimmick. 

It would be one thing if it was just stalled contract negotiations but it's the ancillary stuff that's like, ok....enough already. I really wish we could just sh!t or get off the pot. But in all likelihood, we're going to be flogging this dead, decomposing horse for many months to come.

• Hooded Viper and Steve55 like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#5034 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:13 PM

He doesnt want an agent. Why should it have to be an NFLPA agent that talks. Shoots the shit. If it has to be a n agent or lamar to actually negotiate whatever but I call bull on needing to be an agent to talk.

This is the peril of not having a professional to handle this stuff. An agent could've been talking to the Ravens for the last couple of years while Lamar was focusing on playing. An agent could've been at the combine having off the record conversations with GMs, scouts or owners to gauge interest in his client, figure out his market and either lay the framework for getting a deal done here or moving on. Instead, Lamar has opted to go it on his own, which is his purview but it also means he's beholden to some rules.

Now Jackson knows that he needs to get on the phone and start calling some other teams if he wants out or engage the Ravens in further discussions. Otherwise, he's getting a 1 year, 32.4 million dollar deal and doing this all again in a year.

• makoman likes this
@primetime667083

#5035 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:14 PM

Bingo.

It's a cumulative effect of frustration building up. I think it's safe to say that most of us on the board and in the fanbase in general would like to have Lamar under center for the next few years but the whole thing has gotten beyond tedious. From the the apparent lack of communication on Lamar's part, to the reported unwillingness to try to find a middle ground, to the social media silliness and now this stuff with his "representative" or whatever and his goofy, rejected Shark Tank fitness project gimmick.

It would be one thing if it was just stalled contract negotiations but it's the ancillary stuff that's like, ok....enough already. I really wish we could just sh!t or get off the pot. But in all likelihood, we're going to be flogging this dead, decomposing horse for many months to come.

It is tedious and frustrating. Im sure no one knows that more than Bischotti, EDC, and the brass who have been trying to get something done for awhile now. Bottom line they signed up for this extended window of all of it when they tagged him. So Im not hearing anyone putting all of this on Lamar. The Ravens cant do this because of Lamar. Cant sign that guy because of Lamar. Hes sabotaging or torpedoing. They couldve washed their hands of it all and let him hit FA with no restrictions.

#5036 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:34 PM

It is tedious and frustrating. Im sure no one knows that more than Bischotti, EDC, and the brass who have been trying to get something done for awhile now. Bottom line they signed up for this extended window of all of it when they tagged him. So Im not hearing anyone putting all of this on Lamar. The Ravens cant do this because of Lamar. Cant sign that guy because of Lamar. Hes sabotaging or torpedoing. They couldve washed their hands of it all and let him hit FA with no restrictions.

Why would they do that? Why would they simply let him go to free agency and not get some sort of compensation? That makes no sense. In terms of it being BS that it has to be Lamar or an agent, that’s in the CBA agreed-upon by the league and the players association. He simply has to follow the freaking rules, so either get an agent or make the calls your damn self, one or the other. Furthermore, lying about Ken Francis reaching out to gauge interest on Lamar’s behalf makes him look even more foolish. Put it all together, and Lamar’s star is starting to get very tarnished in the eyes of many fans, and certainly the league.
  • PrimeTime, jamesdean, Steve55 and 1 other like this

#5037 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:47 PM

He doesnt want an agent. Why should it have to be an NFLPA agent that talks and shoots the shit. If it has to be an agent or Lamar to actually negotiate whatever but I call bull on needing to be an agent to represent Lamar for all talks

Because that's the way the NFLPA, his union that he is a part of, set it up. You can call bull all you want but they have rules that both the NFLPA and NFL believe Lamar is in danger of breaking, or else they wouldn't be sending out this memo.

If he wants to ask teams if they are interested he can call them. He can write them a letter. He can DM the team accounts on twitter, I'm sure it will get back to the GM. Why is Lamar too high and mighty to call teams himself, when that is obviously what he wants to do by not having an agent?

• Hooded Viper, BSLSteveBirrer, Steve55 and 2 others like this

#5038 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 03:18 PM

Because that's the way the NFLPA, his union that he is a part of, set it up. You can call bull all you want but they have rules that both the NFLPA and NFL believe Lamar is in danger of breaking, or else they wouldn't be sending out this memo.

If he wants to ask teams if they are interested he can call them. He can write them a letter. He can DM the team accounts on twitter, I'm sure it will get back to the GM. Why is Lamar too high and mighty to call teams himself, when that is obviously what he wants to do by not having an agent?

Right about now he should run an ad. Hey NFL teams are you interested in Lamar .? Please call .

#5039 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 03:22 PM

Right about now he should run an ad. Hey NFL teams are you interested in Lamar .? Please call .

The one on one interview should cover all of that. 

#5040 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 March 2023 - 03:34 PM

Dang I was hoping to hop back in this thread and see that we had crossed the 5000 post mark.

At this point I am having a hard time seeing how anybody can support his approach to the situation. Note that is an entirely different thing than supporting him as a player!

Guy doesn't want an agent. Fine then just learn the rules, follow the rules, and make the contacts and discussions you choose to make yourself. But somehow this paints him as thinking he's special when it comes to this. News flash - he isn't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=