5723 replies to this topic

#2301 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 02:40 PM

Couldn’t disagree more. And you’ve proven for a couple years now there’s basically nothing that could happen where you wouldn’t write him a blank check, so I think I’m good here.

Not a blank check, I've said where I tap out.  5/$250M full guarantee is my max. 

But I'd sign him, basically.   I'd would rather have Lamar than the cap space and picks but have to go find the next QB, even if I gotta commit the next 5 years completely.  I think that's a combined reflection of my views of Lamar as a player, an anticipation of that deal being manageable under the cap as we go up higher, my estimation of how difficult it is to find a franchise QB even if you've got money and picks on hand, and how difficult it is to win if you don't have a good QB.

Trading him and finding another great QB in the draft who'll be on a rookie deal for 5 years is the best possible outcome.  I just don't think the latter part of that is likely enough to be more appealing than just having Lamar.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#2302 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 February 2023 - 02:42 PM

Fair enough. We aren’t eye to eye on who/what Lamar is, but that’s cool. Obviously I’d be perfectly fine being proven wrong if he were to return.

#2303 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,106 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 02:48 PM

The absolute worse thing is for this to drag on again. Just for the sake of all sane Ravens fans get something done by the draft.
  • You Play to Win the Game and PrimeTime like this

#2304 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 February 2023 - 02:48 PM

Numbers numbers numbers. When will we learn raw numbers arent everything. So many factors go into the numbers. Anyone who at anytime, but especially now, prefers Watson over Lamar was/is making a mistake.

The guy who pimped the Ravens offensive DVOA numbers all year despite what it looked like on the field is now saying the numbers don't matter. Interesting.

This is not about preference of Watson over Jackson, it's about Mackus' comment that Watson was clearly inferior to Jackson yet based on the on field production, that's not the case. 

At the end of the day, regardless of what any of us on this board think or feel, someone is going to pay Lamar Jackson a lot of money to play quarterback. At this point, I sincerely don't know who that will be.

• JStruds likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2305 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,106 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 02:58 PM

Like I really dont even care at this point. I prefer Lamar to be here but Im over all the drama.

#2306 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 03:09 PM

Watson is clearly inferior to Jackson, very comfortable with that evaluation.  Said the same some months ago about Murray and still feel that way. 

Not arguing that Lamar is vastly superior by a large margin, just clearly superior in the sense that I doubt many people would choose the other guys over Lamar.  Might not be 29 of 30 Helens agreeing on that, but I think it'd be a strong majority.  Like 20 or 25 Helens.

#2307 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 03:23 PM

Watson was definitely good, but I question the massive stats of his last year with Houston when the team won 4 games.  Reminds me of the Lions when Calvin Johnson broke the receiving record.

#2308 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 03:23 PM

I think if the franchise tag could be placed by now, it would have been. Wish we didn't have to wait so damn long. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#2309 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:18 PM

Numbers numbers numbers. When will we learn raw numbers arent everything. So many factors go into the numbers. Anyone who at anytime, but especially now, prefers Watson over Lamar was/is making a mistake.

Is that why you keep bringing up DVOA?

#2310 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:21 PM

The guy who pimped the Ravens offensive DVOA numbers all year despite what it looked like on the field is now saying the numbers don't matter. Interesting.

This is not about preference of Watson over Jackson, it's about Mackus' comment that Watson was clearly inferior to Jackson yet based on the on field production, that's not the case.

At the end of the day, regardless of what any of us on this board think or feel, someone is going to pay Lamar Jackson a lot of money to play quarterback. At this point, I sincerely don't know who that will be.

Beat me to it. Too hilarious.

#2311 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,106 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:23 PM

The obvious point isnt that you dismiss raw stats but the divisions, the homefield, the conditions are all big time factors that raw numbers dont weigh. Watson has always been overrated and especially now if youre going to argue he is particularly close to Lamar.

#2312 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:50 PM

The obvious point isnt that you dismiss raw stats but the divisions, the homefield, the conditions are all big time factors that raw numbers dont weigh. Watson has always been overrated and especially now if youre going to argue he is particularly close to Lamar.

I see. And what statistics specifically concern you? His home/away splits are shockingly similar statistically.

#2313 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 06:15 PM

Again, why?

Wouldn't an agent just help Lamar get what he wants? Why do people think an agent would encourage Lamar to take less than an inferior fellow QB?

Agents pretty universally are in the business of getting players more money. There aren't a lot of stories of agents telling players to shoot for a middle of the pack deal.

I agree.

A lot of people think that an agent would somehow "talk sense" into Jackson to take a lesser deal. This makes no sense from either Jackson's or the agent's standpoint. I guess it gives people the opportunity to criticize Jackson for working on his contract in what they perceive to be an unorthodox manner. Jackson serms to being doing fine without an agent.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#2314 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,553 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 February 2023 - 06:52 PM

Again, why?

Wouldn't an agent just help Lamar get what he wants? Why do people think an agent would encourage Lamar to take less than an inferior fellow QB?

Agents pretty universally are in the business of getting players more money. There aren't a lot of stories of agents telling players to shoot for a middle of the pack deal.

I think an agent who has years of experience negotiating deals would have been able to advise Lamar that the Watson deal was a supreme outlier and that any request to beat that was highly unlikely to happen.

You’re right, it’s ultimately Lamar’s call but having someone on your side as a fiduciary of sorts may have helped here.
  • BSLChrisStoner and BSLSteveBirrer like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2315 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 03 February 2023 - 07:12 PM

I think an agent who has years of experience negotiating deals would have been able to advise Lamar that the Watson deal was a supreme outlier and that any request to beat that was highly unlikely to happen.

You’re right, it’s ultimately Lamar’s call but having someone on your side as a fiduciary of sorts may have helped here.

I have no idea how Lamar lives his life, but he's already earned more in the first 5 years of his career than I will likely earn in my entire upper-middle-class career.  He has his own apparel company, which he built without the help of an agent.  I'm sure he's paying people good money to help support his business endeavours.   If he wants to gamble for an extra 100 million, well I'd say that he's in a decently good position to do so.  I don't think that it's necessarily the "smart" thing to play it safe.  He's already got a pretty nice bag.

#2316 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 02:15 PM

I saw Lamar re-shared a couple highlight videos from this past season, and captioned it with something like, 'Can't wait for next season.' And also a pic of him in Ravens gear on his instagram. Guess the way we're trending on this topic, that means he 110% is guaranteed to be resigning... right ?

I'm hoping this has a quick solution, one way or the other. Tired of all of the BS speculation, and over-analyzation of tweets and videos.
  • You Play to Win the Game, Bmore Irish and makoman like this

#2317 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 04:12 PM

Watson is clearly inferior to Jackson, very comfortable with that evaluation.  Said the same some months ago about Murray and still feel that way. 

Not arguing that Lamar is vastly superior by a large margin, just clearly superior in the sense that I doubt many people would choose the other guys over Lamar.  Might not be 29 of 30 Helens agreeing on that, but I think it'd be a strong majority.  Like 20 or 25 Helens.

I guess this board isn't nearly as hip as I had once thought!

30-helens-agree.jpg

#2318 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 05:19 PM

I agree.

A lot of people think that an agent would somehow "talk sense" into Jackson to take a lesser deal. This makes no sense from either Jackson's or the agent's standpoint. I guess it gives people the opportunity to criticize Jackson for working on his contract in what they perceive to be an unorthodox manner. Jackson serms to being doing fine without an agent.

i don't believe that. I believe having an agent, would have meant there  would have been no need for a opening day deadline for a deal. He could have continued negotiation during the season.

#2319 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 04 February 2023 - 05:22 PM

i don't believe that. I believe having an agent, would have meant there would have been no need for a opening day deadline for a deal. He could have continued negotiation during the season.

A lot of players with agents don't like in season negotiations. The only area where this is a detriment is if the team is looking to move Lamar and teams can't directly communicate with Lamar to get a sense for what they would need for an extension.

#2320 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 05:49 PM

I could be wrong but I would imagine that an agent, who talks to people with other teams regularly, might be able to put out feelers to see if fully guaranteed is a nonstarter somewhere or if it’s possible. Not tampering obviously but you can probably find out something about what other teams might think. Lamar won’t really know anything for sure until he himself can actually talk to other teams. Maybe other teams wouldn’t be forthcoming, but maybe they would.
  • bmore_ken likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=