#2361 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 06 February 2023 - 03:19 PM

Nope. We've seen what he has and he ain't it. Especially when there will be better QBs on the free agent market.

I don't think Huntley is full season starter by any stretch but I can't help but wonder what the organization thinks.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2362 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 03:24 PM

If we were to have to move on from Jackson, does anyone think that the organization believes Tyler Huntley could be a stop gap? 

He's a free agent, isn't he?  I think we've seen the last of Tyler Huntley.  Harbaugh can glow about him all he wants but he's a lousy quarterback who even with the roster staying as it is, probably would at best, give them a 7-10 record.  I could see them keeping Anthony Brown for back up since he's got a much better arm.  If they trade Lamar for a few No. 1's, they're drafting the next potential, franchise quarterback and will more than likely sign a veteran to be the bridge. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#2363 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 03:37 PM

If we were to have to move on from Jackson, does anyone think that the organization believes Tyler Huntley could be a stop gap? 

I think the organization thinks he could be. I don't think anyone outside the organization thinks he should be. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#2364 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 03:41 PM

I can't imagine him being released.  Only $5.625M in dead money for LV if they trade him, and only $3.75M of that could be pushed back to the 2024 season by making him a June 1 release.  So no big advantage for LV to prefer a release to a trade, they'll certainly find someone who is willing to take on his remaining contract.

His 2023 contract becomes guaranteed on Feb. 15. According to this guy who covers the Raiders for the Athletic, if he isn't traded by then they will cut him. I imagine they don't want to risk getting stuck with him.

https://twitter.com/...571429110538241

• Mackus and bmore_ken like this

#2365 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 03:45 PM

His 2023 contract becomes guaranteed on Feb. 15. According to this guy who covers the Raiders for the Athletic, if he isn't traded by then they will cut him. I imagine they don't want to risk getting stuck with him.

Thanks, I misread that, thought 2023 was already guaranteed and that it was the 2024 portion about to become guaranteed.  Agree that changes things.  Still think his remaining salary is a deal that some other team would take on, but guess we'll find out soon.

#2366 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 05:13 PM

He's a free agent, isn't he? I think we've seen the last of Tyler Huntley. Harbaugh can glow about him all he wants but he's a lousy quarterback who even with the roster staying as it is, probably would at best, give them a 7-10 record. I could see them keeping Anthony Brown for back up since he's got a much better arm. If they trade Lamar for a few No. 1's, they're drafting the next potential, franchise quarterback and will more than likely sign a veteran to be the bridge.

I'd be absolutely shocked if a Tyler Huntley led team could win 7 games.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#2367 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 05:24 PM

Huntley was surely Roman's preference for a backup to Lamar because he could run pretty well for a QB. Roman can't even fathom coordinating an offense without a QB in the pocket who can save his ass by running and going off script.

No Roman, absolutely zero reason to keep Huntley around. At all.

#2368 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 05:32 PM

If he were cheap I'd take Huntley back as the #2. As a vet though, he might get a few million from someone and that's more than I wanna spend on a backup to Lamar.

#2369 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 05:36 PM

Zero chance. Dude can't get past a first read and can't throw well, so...

#2370 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 05:39 PM

Exactly why I made the comment I did. 

#2371 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 07:06 PM

Yeah, I just looked at my post again and realized I had lapsed into temporary insanity.  

• bmore_ken likes this

#2372 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 06:25 AM

He's a free agent, isn't he?  I think we've seen the last of Tyler Huntley.  Harbaugh can glow about him all he wants but he's a lousy quarterback who even with the roster staying as it is, probably would at best, give them a 7-10 record.  I could see them keeping Anthony Brown for back up since he's got a much better arm.  If they trade Lamar for a few No. 1's, they're drafting the next potential, franchise quarterback and will more than likely sign a veteran to be the bridge. 

He's a restricted FA. They can keep him by offering one of the 3 levels. I believe 1st rd is about $6 mil now and 2nd is $4 mil. They likely tag him with 2nd.

#2373 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 07:16 AM

He's a restricted FA. They can keep him by offering one of the 3 levels. I believe 1st rd is about $6 mil now and 2nd is $4 mil. They likely tag him with 2nd.

I really don't know what purpose the guy serves now that Roman is gone and they'll be installing a new offense with more focus on passing.  If I'm EDC, he's gone, regardless of how much Harbs is in love with him. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#2374 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 07:59 AM

I really doubt they use the 2nd round tender. I'm pretty skeptical they even use the lowest tender (1st refusal) that is projected for $2.6M.

#2375 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 10:04 AM

I really doubt they use the 2nd round tender. I'm pretty skeptical they even use the lowest tender (1st refusal) that is projected for $2.6M.

I don't see why he would be retained at any price.

#2376 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 10:09 AM

I don't see why he would be retained at any price.

I think he's a decent enough backup if he were cheap. I doubt there are 50-60 better QBs, for example. I don't see the point in paying several times more than the minimum salary to have him though. At that point, and I think we're there, I'd just go with Brown or search elsewhere.

#2377 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2023 - 10:33 AM

Yeah, I think Huntley is a decent back up, unless the arm soreness, he reportedly played with all season is going to be a permanent thing. 

@mikeghg

#2378 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 10:39 AM

I just think there are better backups hitting the market.

#2379 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 10:42 AM

I just think there are better backups hitting the market.

Sure. But you asked why he would be retained at any price. If he's playing for the minimum, then he'd be a lot more appealing of an option than if he costs $2.6M or $4.3M. I think the price is a very key detail when evaluating the option of retaining him. Given the expected price, I think we move on and find a different backup. If he's cheaper than expected, the can consider retaining him.

#2380 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 11:07 AM

Sure. But you asked why he would be retained at any price. If he's playing for the minimum, then he'd be a lot more appealing of an option than if he costs $2.6M or $4.3M. I think the price is a very key detail when evaluating the option of retaining him. Given the expected price, I think we move on and find a different backup. If he's cheaper than expected, the can consider retaining him.

I think even at the minimum salary I'd move on. He's a hack. 

They need to actually invest in the position of backup QB given the injury track record on Lamar, or to compete with the rookie if Lamar is gone. If that means giving someone like say Teddy Bridgewater 1/$7M, so be it.

They have pissed away a chance at winning January games for half of Lamar's rookie contract as a full time starter by just praying he doesn't get hurt, going with the cool story at #2. It bit them in 2021, and they just rolled it back again in 2022. 

• bmore_ken likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=