bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 07:30 PM

Lol.

Fair enough.

I'm just saying. If he sits out 2023 and someone wants to give him $235M guaranteed in 2024, Thanks for the memories Lamar and thanks for the draft pics. :grin:

#2182 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 07:56 PM

Being off the field for over a year didn't impact DeShaun Watson in a negative way. One could argue that it would be one less year of wear and tear on Lamar. That said, I think he's traded before he sits out a full year.

I didn't think Watson looked that great.  He's a bit overrated in my opinion to begin with but the way he played this year left a lot to be desired.  Hardly worth what they're paying him. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#2183 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 08:35 PM

I didn't think Watson looked that great.  He's a bit overrated in my opinion to begin with but the way he played this year left a lot to be desired.  Hardly worth what they're paying him. 

Well, to be fair, it's got to be hard to play QB when you've got defenders rushing you from the front and sides, and potential lawsuits bearing down on him from behind. 

#2184 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 09:00 PM

Well, to be fair, it's got to be hard to play QB when you've got defenders rushing you from the front and sides, and potential lawsuits bearing down on him from behind. 

No pun intended. 

#2185 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 04:24 AM

I didn't think Watson looked that great. He's a bit overrated in my opinion to begin with but the way he played this year left a lot to be desired. Hardly worth what they're paying him.

To clarify, I meant that his sitting out didn't didn't impact what he wound up earning. I agree that he did not play all that well.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#2186 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 07:29 AM

Do an of these deals or negotiations get leaked. Have they in years past when big time QBs are moved. I understand the news eventually breaks but how soon before are we hearing rumors

No one knew of the Hollywood trade until he popped up in Arizona before the draft.

#2187 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 08:09 AM

People were talking about if they get rid of Roman, Lamar would be more willing to stay. Well he's gone so lets see if there's some movement.

#2188 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 February 2023 - 11:37 AM

Do an of these deals or negotiations get leaked. Have they in years past when big time QBs are moved. I understand the news eventually breaks but how soon before are we hearing rumors

Agents are often the source of leaks and since there's no agent involved, it's radio silence. 

However, if something progresses to a point where a deal is close, the trade partner may leak something.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2189 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 February 2023 - 11:50 AM

The more and more I roll this around in my head, I think the Ravens have to get a deal done with Jackson. 

Looking at it from a global perspective, the Ravens are 2 for their last 2 in selecting franchise QBs in the draft. Odds are they won't be so fortunate the next time. So even if you trade Lamar for a haul of draft picks, you're hoping to hit the football lottery again, while also trying to acquire an adequate veteran placeholder to keep the team competitive while the rookie QB develops.

With the roster we currently have and the heavy investments on the defensive side of the ball, I don't think the Ravens are in the position to start over entirely and I highly doubt Harbaugh wants to oversee a rebuild; EDC said as much at the presser and common sense would corroborate that position.

I wouldn't espouse giving Lamar the moon and the stars to bring him back but there has to be an olive branch the Ravens can offer to get a deal done. We need the Lamar issue settled so that the rest of the off season can move forward. Quite frankly, I think the organization is paralyzed until we square things regarding Jackson.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2190 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 February 2023 - 11:54 AM

Still think it's a Machado-like mistake to have not gotten him done a long time ago. Never really heard any numbers, but I gotta imagine that he was asking for less in January of 2021 than he was being offered in August of 2022.

My biggest fear is the same thing happens with Rutschman

#2191 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 February 2023 - 11:55 AM

The more and more I roll this around in my head, I think the Ravens have to get a deal done with Jackson. 

Looking at it from a global perspective, the Ravens are 2 for their last 2 in selecting franchise QBs in the draft. Odds are they won't be so fortunate the next time. So even if you trade Lamar for a haul of draft picks, you're hoping to hit the football lottery again, while also trying to acquire an adequate veteran placeholder to keep the team competitive while the rookie QB develops.

With the roster we currently have and the heavy investments on the defensive side of the ball, I don't think the Ravens are in the position to start over entirely and I highly doubt Harbaugh wants to oversee a rebuild; EDC said as much at the presser and common sense would corroborate that position.

I wouldn't espouse giving Lamar the moon and the stars to bring him back but there has to be an olive branch the Ravens can offer to get a deal done. We need the Lamar issue settled so that the rest of the off season can move forward. Quite frankly, I think the organization is paralyzed until we square things regarding Jackson.

That's fear based decision making, Jamie. 

The playoff track record speaks for itself - and won't get any easier with less of a roster around him IMO. I'd rather miss on our next guy, than settle for the kind of ceiling he provides. 

• Mike in STL, Steve55, mdrunning and 1 other like this

#2192 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 12:08 PM

Looking at it from a global perspective, the Ravens are 2 for their last 2 in selecting franchise QBs in the draft. Odds are they won't be so fortunate the next time.

Finding Flacco and Jackson will have nothing to do, positively or negatively, with finding the next guy or finding a bust. That's the gabler's fallacy. It'll be hard, and significant odds it's a bad choice, but absolutely unrelated to the 2018 and 2008 drafts. Gotta factor it only on what is real.

#2193 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 February 2023 - 12:15 PM

The playoff track record speaks for itself - and won't get any easier with less of a roster around him IMO. I'd rather miss on our next guy, than settle for the kind of ceiling he provides. 

You make a very reasonable point.

I keep going back and forth on whether we've seen the best of Lamar or if there's another level there. In a pro style offense that's supplemented by his playmaking ability with his legs could unlock something.

The problem for me is that, at this moment, we're stuck in "almost" territory and the quickest way to grow beyond that is to stay the course with Lamar under center. Otherwise, I think we very well could waste the prime years of the talented guys on the defensive side of the ball.

Or, I could just be talking out of my backside because I really just want this matter to be put to bed, one way or the other.

@primetime667083

#2194 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 12:18 PM

That's fear based decision making, the fear that a 26 year old has already hit his playoff ceiling.

I feel like I've said it a million times, he has as many playoff wins at 26 as Peyton and Brees combined did at 26. Throw in Stafford too. That doesn't mean he will get better, but saying he has reached his ceiling doesn't make sense to me. I don't know what you think of Cam, but if you want a running example he was 1-2 and then went to a Super Bowl at 26.

I understand the fear of not being able to complete a roster with too much money tied up with the QB (see, anyone can use the word fear over and over). I don't understand why someone's first 5 years is his ceiling.
  • PrimeTime and Bmore Irish like this

#2195 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 February 2023 - 12:22 PM

Finding Flacco and Jackson will have nothing to do, positively or negatively, with finding the next guy or finding a bust. That's the gabler's fallacy. It'll be hard, and significant odds it's a bad choice, but absolutely unrelated to the 2018 and 2008 drafts. Gotta factor it only on what is real.

I understand but odds are odds. Maybe they're not tangible per se but the universe tends to work that way. 

Bottom line, I really just want to see a decision made and the organization move forward. The speculation, conjecture and what not has become exhausting.

@primetime667083

#2196 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 February 2023 - 12:22 PM

That's fear based decision making, the fear that a 26 year old has already hit his playoff ceiling.

I feel like I've said it a million times, he has as many playoff wins at 26 as Payton and Brees combined did at 26. Throw in Stafford too. That doesn't mean he will get better, but saying he has reached his ceiling doesn't make sense to me. I don't know what you think of Cam, but if you want a running example he was 1-2 and then went to a Super Bowl at 26.

I understand the fear of not being able to complete a roster with too much money tied up with the QB (see, anyone can use the word fear over and over). I don't understand why someone's first 5 years is his ceiling.

I’ll admit there’s some there from my angle too, sure. But at least I’m using a track record. He didn’t win big games at Louisville. He largely hasn’t here, on a rookie contract with a well rounded roster. Also, did Manning and Brees have 1,400 collegiate and pro carries at 26?

Regardless, I don’t want to get into this. No one is changing their mind at this point. And people can’t help but try and make you feel unreasonable for preferring option B, as I do.

#2197 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 February 2023 - 12:23 PM

I understand but odds are odds. Maybe they're not tangible per se but the universe tends to work that way.

Bottom line, I really just want to see a decision made and the organization move forward. The speculation, conjecture and what not has become exhausting.

Incredibly exhausting. Agreed. Badly want this resolved. And yeah, even though I’ve made my stance clear, I’ll get on board with whatever they decide.

#2198 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 12:26 PM

Incredibly exhausting. Agreed. Badly want this resolved. And yeah, even though I’ve made my stance clear, I’ll get on board with whatever they decide.

Pretty much.

If the Ravens believe signing Lamar through his age 30-32 seasons is the best choice with all of the info they have, I'll go with them. If they believe the best choice for the organization's longterm health is to trade him, I'm fine with that too.
  • Mike B likes this

#2199 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 February 2023 - 12:30 PM

It just occurred to me that the 2 biggest sports stories in Baltimore right now are both contract issues.  One is Lamar and the other is John Angelos.  Damn that sucks.

@mikeghg

#2200 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 February 2023 - 12:33 PM

I’ll admit there’s some there from my angle too, sure. But at least I’m using a track record. He didn’t win big games at Louisville. He largely hasn’t here, on a rookie contract with a well rounded roster. Also, did Manning and Brees have 1,400 collegiate and pro carries at 26?

Regardless, I don’t want to get into this. No one is changing their mind at this point. And people can’t help but try and make you feel unreasonable for preferring option B, as I do.

Like everything these days, it seems that everyone sees everything as either/or, black/white and we've become extremely polarized as a result. In just about all things, there's gray area and nuance.

Your concerns about Lamar are valid and quite frankly, I share many of them, particularly about his workload. Not only has he taken the normal wear and tear of QB but he also has the workload of a number 2/3 RB on his body as well.

@primetime667083

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=