5723 replies to this topic

#2141 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,250 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:58 PM

It doesn't sound to me like he has come off of his fully guaranteed, highest AAV and total dollars demands that he had prior to the season, and his performance this season in no way validates that demand. In fact, if anything, it makes it more obvious why he can't be given that money - he can't stay healthy, and even when he does, his play is somewhat inconsistent.

Lamar is absolutely a quarterback that a team should build around in a vacuum, but I think it will be looked at as a colossal mistake to give him what will almost certainly need to be a 5-7 year, 250-350 million dollar contract 5 years from now. Let some other team make that mistake, and set the market for giving quarterbacks fully guaranteed deals when their rookie contract is up. With Brady's retirement, there are now at least two other teams with rosters that are ready to win who are needy for a quarterback. Let's see who gets the most stupid.

What doesnt sound like. How are you coming up with half the crap you say

#2142 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,250 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:01 PM

Even if you thought his demands could or would change there is nothing that we have heard either way that makes you sound like he is dead firm in his demands. Sounds like?? What sounds like. What are you basing sounds like on. Even if its that completely unvarified twitter account there is nothing in that that sounds like anything
  • russsnyder likes this

#2143 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:04 PM

Even if you thought his demands could or would change there is nothing that we have heard either way that makes you sound like he is dead firm in his demands. Sounds like?? What sounds like. What are you basing sounds like on. Even if its that completely unvarified twitter account there is nothing in that that sounds like anything

If his demands had come down, would he be preparing for the eventuality of getting tagged? Would a deal not already be done, or at least have some smoke about negotiations?

Read between the lines. Do you believe Lamar has backed off his demands? Tell me why if so.

#2144 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:05 PM

If this is true, what does "holdout" actually mean in this instance? Will he skip mandatory workouts, mini-camps OTA's and perhaps sign once the deadline for a long-term deal passes in mid-July? Or does he intend to hold out for the entire season?

If it's the latter, Lamar isn't doing himself any favors by doing so. That tag money will then be credited to the Ravens' 2024 cap and give them more than enough room to tag him again if they so choose.

The tweet said the entire season, so that means he wouldn't sign the tag or else he'd be subject to serious fines and possible tolling of the deal if he didn't play. That also means he has an effective no trade clause because he can't be traded till he signs it, so he picks his spot.

But like you said they would get that money credited back and could tag him again next year. And the next.

But I also agree with 2035 that this is all pretty premature at this point, anyone would likely threaten this and we don't know today what he's demanding. We'll probably know a lot more around when the league year starts and see what tag they use, or hell a trade could even happen early if there is some sort of agreement with another team. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#2145 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:06 PM

If this is true, what does "holdout" actually mean in this instance? Will he skip mandatory workouts, mini-camps OTA's and perhaps sign once the deadline for a long-term deal passes in mid-July? Or does he intend to hold out for the entire season?

If it's the latter, Lamar isn't doing himself any favors by doing so. That tag money will then be credited to the Ravens' 2024 cap and give them more than enough room to tag him again if they so choose.

I could see him holding out of camps, etc. I don't see him leaving $45M on the table and sitting home and not showcasing his talent. For me, holding out once the season starts is a double whammy for him. It'll basically means he's off the field for pretty much a season and a half. Doesn't seem to me that would help him with his contract situation with the Ravens or anyone else. 

• Mike B likes this

#2146 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:08 PM

The tweet is likely nonsense, but it says "hold out the entire season".  That's what we're discussing.

• bmore_ken likes this

#2147 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,250 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:16 PM

If his demands had come down, would he be preparing for the eventuality of getting tagged? Would a deal not already be done, or at least have some smoke about negotiations?

Read between the lines. Do you believe Lamar has backed off his demands? Tell me why if so.

I dont have a clue if he has backed off anything. Use credible sources
  • bmore_ken likes this

#2148 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,250 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:21 PM

The tweet said the entire season, so that means he wouldn't sign the tag or else he'd be subject to serious fines and possible tolling of the deal if he didn't play. That also means he has an effective no trade clause because he can't be traded till he signs it, so he picks his spot.

But like you said they would get that money credited back and could tag him again next year. And the next.

But I also agree with 2035 that this is all pretty premature at this point, anyone would likely threaten this and we don't know today what he's demanding. We'll probably know a lot more around when the league year starts and see what tag they use, or hell a trade could even happen early if there is some sort of agreement with another team.

I think its premature. I think the source is likely crap. That said, as Mack said, a holdout should be expected if they dont come to an agreement longterm. Thats logical. That makes the most sense. Not sure why this bunk twitter account thinks he is breaking news or people are linking it acting as if it is breaking news.

#2149 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:28 PM

What's this guy's source?

And who is this guy??

@mikeghg

#2150 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:28 PM

Pretty easy to draw a line in the sand in early February. If this is true, however, then it's a potential set-up for confrontation down the road as the Ravens aren't likely to alter their negotiating stance.

Kind of interesting that this tweet--be it bogus or otherwise--came out roughly the same time as Brady's retirement announcement. If anything, that drives Lamar's value up since there are still the same amount of teams looking for a quarterback, but now with one less to choose from.

#2151 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:40 PM

And who is this guy??

CJ Golson
@CJGolson

International insider. CFB coverage for 11+ years. Betting/DFS analyst. #GolsonGang | The People’s Insider
Media PersonalityubaJoined December 2014

Sounds like a legend in his own mind. But that's social media in the 21st century

#2152 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:41 PM

Pretty easy to draw a line in the sand in early February. 

They can't even tag him until Feb 21 (and have until March 7th to do it).

Trades aren't allowed until March 15th.  I don't recall hearing about any NFL trades that were agreed to and reported before the league year begins but held off from executing until allowed, but maybe they could do something like that.  Not sure.

If tagged, Lamar and his team (Ravens or otherwise) have until July 15th to agree to an extension or else they have to stay with the tag and can't sign a deal until the next league year.

#2153 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:46 PM

They can't even tag him until Feb 21 (and have until March 7th to do it).

Trades aren't allowed until March 15th.

If tagged, Lamar and his team (Ravens or otherwise) have until July 15th to agree to an extension or else they have to stay with the tag and can't sign a deal until the next league year.

I'm aware of all that.

What I didn't know until recently (from watching a podcast on RSR) was that if (when) the Ravens presumably put the exclusive tag on Lamar, the maximum cap hit would not apply until the end of the free agency period (the start of the draft, essentially). Up to that point, the cap hit would be the non-exclusive number of approximately $32 million. It would then begin to accelerate afterwards. 

• Mackus likes this

#2154 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:47 PM

I saw a tweet that Lamar wants to move the team to Nashville!

• Mackus, Pedro Cerrano, Biggsy and 1 other like this

#2155 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:51 PM

Sounds like he isn't too smart.  Doesn't he think other people can google.  

https://www.reddit.c..._a_fake_has_no/

https://www.reddit.c...ans_qb_deshaun/

#2156 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:53 PM

I'm aware of all that.

What I didn't know until recently (from watching a podcast on RSR) was that if (when) the Ravens presumably put the exclusive tag on Lamar, the maximum cap hit would not apply until the end of the free agency period (the start of the draft, essentially). Up to that point, the cap hit would be the non-exclusive number of approximately $32 million. It would then begin to accelerate afterwards. 

I didn't know that detail either, that's interesting.  Makes sense, because the non-exclusive is known ahead of time and the exclusive isn't.  A bit surprised they carry it at the non-exclusive rate and not something closer to the exclusive, such as last year's exclusive.

#2157 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:55 PM

I didn't know that detail either, that's interesting.  Makes sense, because the non-exclusive is known ahead of time and the exclusive isn't.  A bit surprised they carry it at the non-exclusive rate and not something closer to the exclusive, such as last year's exclusive.

Here's the link if you're interested.

https://russellstree...son-contract-2/

Brian McFarland brings it up at 34:04 of the podcast.

#2158 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:56 PM

Lol, thanks.

I mean, the idea is reasonable enough for us to talk about it.  I am still presuming that he won't play on the tag, but I understand why some think that he would.  Its certainly a lot of money to say no to and is a much higher percentage of what he'll end up with than his 5th year option and way more than the 4th year of his rookie deal. 

#2159 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 February 2023 - 03:22 PM

Lol at preparing an exit strategy if a long term deal isnt reached. The most obvious tweet anyone could make. Yeah, you prepare an exit strategy when you dont have a contract/job with a company organization. Thats called life.

Lol yeah that part made me laugh too.

Agreed, he was always going to hold out without a longterm deal IMO.

#2160 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 03:36 PM

Why am I not surprised? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=