593 replies to this topic

#541 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:10 AM

Those are leaguewide numbers, the 48% and the 95%.  I think the Ravens have higher odds than the league in general for both sides of the decision (obviously higher for the kick).

#542 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:12 AM

Its a divisional game so rivals Cle and Cin. Cin game feels like the biggest of them all in two weeks. Maybe Ricker has to deal with a lot of Steelers fans.

Yeah, agreed. I mean I certainly respect the rivalry, history.  And I'm always focused on the division games. But I really dont 'care' about the opponent much. For me it's about the Ravens.  If I had to deal with a lot of Steelers fans, I'd probably feel different. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#543 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:13 AM

It felt like the right decision but hey man anyone is allowed to feel the opposite. Last week I debated with Mack going for it from the 2 against Cle on 4th down. It felt like we werent going to convert. Plus we were home. Plus Baker was struggling so TDs werent at a premium. False start and we dont get to find out who wouldve been right.

#544 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:16 AM

It felt like the right decision but hey man anyone is allowed to feel like the opposite. Last week I debated with Mack going for it from the 2 against Cle. It felt like we werent going to convert. Plus we were home. Plus Baker was struggling so TDs werent at a premium. False start and we dont get to find out who wouldve been right.

I don't like using the result to decide if it was a good decision or not :)

I do think you've gotta assess the micro-climate of the game and not just make the decision based on the points chart and the overall leaguewide odds and percentages.  Sometimes that means I'd go more conservative than the numbers and other times that means I'd lean more aggressive.  Certainly having Tucker gives an edge towards kicking, since the Ravens have to be considered to have much higher odds of converting any particular kick (XP or FG) than the league as a whole.

#545 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:19 AM

I don't like using the result to decide if it was a good decision or not :)

I do think you've gotta assess the micro-climate of the game and not just make the decision based on the points chart and the overall leaguewide odds and percentages. Sometimes that means I'd go more conservative than the numbers and other times that means I'd lean more aggressive. Certainly having Tucker gives an edge towards kicking, since the Ravens have to be considered to have much higher odds of converting any particular kick (XP or FG) than the league as a whole.

Well since you arent results oriented Ill accept that you were wrong and I was right.

#546 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:23 AM

All of the talk about the offense going for 2 at the end...  needed the defense to make a play on the Steelers 2 point conversion, or not let up the TD to begin with. 

Definitely a team game. 

Jackson is making errors that are on Jackson.  You just can't have the turnovers. 
The interception on the opening drive was a horrible decision that can't happen.
Sometimes he's immediately smothered. Sometimes he's taking too long.

I think it's fair to say that the line's inability to pass block, and the backs being average at best has impacted how teams are game planning the Ravens... and from the opening night in Vegas, we've seen Jackson make mistakes trying to do a bit too much at times. 

It's a fine line because he's the primary reason they have a chance each week, and he's also been hurting the team lately. 

The margin of error for this team is very limited, because the team overall is pretty limited. 

They've got a path available to them to compete in games despite their injuries, but they certainly can't overcome their injuries and turning the ball over. 

I thought they did some interesting things yesterday scheme wise for the running game. 
I'd like to see the Ravens really go to max protection the majority of their snaps, and try to pass out of those bigger looks. 

#547 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:25 AM

I don't think it was a team loss, personally.  I assign like 90% of the fault to Lamar.  He was abysmal, including on the last play where all he has to do is make a C- throw and the Ravens win.  Everyone else, either by individual grade or units, was somewhere between fine and good.  To have the chance of winning that they did in spite of Lamar's dreadful play is evidence of how well everyone else played (and how bad the Steelers are).

• You Play to Win the Game and Hooded Viper like this

#548 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:30 AM

I don't think it was a team loss, personally.  I assign like 90% of the fault to Lamar.  He was abysmal, including on the last play where all he has to do is make a C- throw and the Ravens win.  Everyone else, either by individual grade or units, was somewhere between fine and good.  To have the chance of winning that they did in spite of Lamar's dreadful play is evidence of how well everyone else played (and how bad the Steelers are).

When I say above it's a team game, I'm not just referring to yesterday (confusing I know since we're in the game thread, and I wasn't clear). 

Agree, you can place the majority of blame yesterday on Jackson. 

That's what happens in the NFL.  QB gets the majority of the blame or the credit. 

Jackson has to take responsibility for his mistakes. 
Some of his mistakes are the result of what is around him. 

I assume Pittsburgh went into prevent on the last drive, and that probably helped. 
I also think Jackson was just reacting there and thinking less. Needs to tap into that more.  The quick reaction, get the ball out, and move.

#549 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:45 AM

What we are seeing is teams finally figuring Lamar out. It didn't take QB spies or any fancy scheming. You just blitz him constantly because he can't handle it. I'm surprised it took this long for them to figure it out.

This is the Lamar we're going to get until he figures out how to beat it. If he can't, he will continue to be a mediocre to poor QB.

#550 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:54 AM

Its a divisional game so rivals Cle and Cin. Cin game feels like the biggest of them all in two weeks. Maybe Ricker has to deal with a lot of Steelers fans.

I do, and they're the worst. Printed out the standings and pasted it all over the office this morning. Jackasses. Can't stand these degenerates. 

#551 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:55 AM

I have very little doubt that Lamar will be able to counter the blitz.  He's gotta get quicker with reads, but no reason to think that won't happen.  He can do everything else, he'll figure this out.  Just may not be this season.

#552 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:55 AM

I have very little doubt that Lamar will be able to counter the blitz. He's gotta get quicker with reads, but no reason to think that won't happen. He can do everything else, he'll figure this out. Just may not be this season.

Why can't he do it already? He's in year 4.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#553 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:57 AM

The Ravens organization is brilliant, I'm definitely not. They need to figure out - has the league adjusted to Lamar - if so, is he capable of adjusting back? Or is this just the injuries. I don't think it's just the injuries, but again, I'm not in the room. I hope they get this right. This is shaping up to be one of the more consequential (either direction) decisions this franchise has ever made. 

What you can't do is ignore this season's body of work. When you think about the fact that he was in the MVP discussion through mid-October, and now he's having a worse QB season than even Ben Roethlisberger - it tells you how bad it's been the past month and a half. This is unacceptable from him.

#554 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:59 AM

I have very little doubt that Lamar will be able to counter the blitz.  He's gotta get quicker with reads, but no reason to think that won't happen.  He can do everything else, he'll figure this out.  Just may not be this season.

Year 8 or 10 or what? When do you think it'll happen for him? It's not like this season, or last month against Miami was the first time he saw a blitz.

#555 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:01 AM

Year 8 or 10 or what? When do you think it'll happen for him? It's not like this season, or last month against Miami was the first time he saw a blitz.

I think "blitz like crazy all game" will not be an effective strategy against the Ravens next season.  Largely because Lamar will improve but also because the line shouldn't be as porous and some other blitz-killing options will be available to him like a good pass-catching back.

#556 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:01 AM

It takes a few huge plays to stop a team from brining 6+ consistently. I didnt see the game yesterday so I dont know how many times they brought 6+. Im assuming if it was like Miami that they showed heavy blitz a lot but dropped out and ultimately only brought 4 or 5. Hes def getting more aggressive looks at the LOS and he does need to handle it better but its not always a blitz he is facing.

The key, as I said, is getting an aggressive downhill running game going again. Read options and power runs. Put doubt in defenders minds. Make them question themselves. Its now the defenders who are coming downhill at Lamar or aggressively dropping deep into a zone and letting the front 4 or 5 handle our weak run game.

#557 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:02 AM

I think "blitz like crazy all game" will not be an effective strategy against the Ravens next season.

Based on...what?

#558 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:06 AM

Based on...what?

Based on the following sentences he wrote.

#559 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:10 AM

Based on the following sentences he wrote.

I'm not sure what sentences you're referring to. What following sentences?

Look, it's year 4. Lamar isn't a rookie. He's a former MVP. If he can't handle the blitz now, that is either bad coaching or a deficiency in his game.

#560 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:11 AM

I think "blitz like crazy all game" will not be an effective strategy against the Ravens next season. Largely because Lamar will improve but also because the line shouldn't be as porous and some other blitz-killing options will be available to him like a good pass-catching back.

You get the right personnel and we will be fine. We cant stretch the boundaries. We dont have OL that can move well to get out and pull and trap. That is so crucial. Its back to double teams and trying to go man to man.

Go watch ed garallen on youtube. Good film analysis. He said in a vid recently we have to start double teaming at the LOS and just going man to man because we dont have the OLmen to get out and pull and trap. Nor do we have the RBs either. When he said we just need to start taking 2 and 3 and yard runs thats all I needed to hear to know there was no good adjustments or answer. Feel like Bozeman was a good puller for one. Has played well at C but miss his ability to pull out and move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=