593 replies to this topic

#501 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 11:54 PM

*Shrug.* Cool story bro. This isn't high school and I'm done wasting time on whether you think I think I care about you. Have whatever last word you want. You'll feel better.

You care.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#502 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 11:57 PM

This article from 2018 cites that in a recent 10 year period, teams faced the Ravens end game situation 47 times. Of which only 5 went for two and the win right there.

https://www.nytimes....conversion.html

Mentions of the 42 that opted for OT, only 40% won. Didn’t mention how the five geniuses did, or what the situations were wrt record, opponent, stakes, etc.

Your point about the Steelers calling timeout has changed my feelings on this. The element of surprise was lost at that point.
  • Mike in STL likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#503 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 11:58 PM

I didn't like the decision when it was made, and didn't like it any moreso after the result. ;)

But the ultimate bigger problem once again, and as is always the case it seems... Before the last drive, the pass-run split was two to one or so.

This is a constant recipe for struggle and losses when the Ravens do it on the road against teams that have any semblance of a pass rush.

Injuries will ultimately be the biggest killer for this team this year... but if they're playing in January, chances are good John and Greg will do this again, and it will likely cost them a game. Only then it's lose and done...

#504 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:40 AM

This article from 2018 cites that in a recent 10 year period, teams faced the Ravens end game situation 47 times. Of which only 5 went for two and the win right there.

https://www.nytimes....conversion.html

Mentions of the 42 that opted for OT, only 40% won. Didn’t mention how the five geniuses did, or what the situations were wrt record, opponent, stakes, etc.

I didn't like the call, certainly after the result it's easy to say that.  But I think you take the automatic from Tucker and extend the game.  If you lose in OT, so be it.  If you tie it there and take it to OT, you take the energy out of the stadium and maybe out of the Steelers.  I would take my chances with resetting the game after they had all the momentum to score a TD.  Kick it and tie, who knows it's 50/50 who wins.  I like my chances better taking a game to OT with a kicker that I know can hit it from 60 yards or less than putting all of my eggs on one two point conversion.  

• Mike in STL likes this

#505 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:42 AM

I didn't like the call, certainly after the result it's easy to say that.  But I think you take the automatic from Tucker and extend the game.  If you lose in OT, so be it.  If you tie it there and take it to OT, you take the energy out of the stadium and maybe out of the Steelers.  I would take my chances with resetting the game after they had all the momentum to score a TD.  Kick it and tie, who knows it's 50/50 who wins.  I like my chances better taking a game to OT with a kicker that I know can hit it from 60 yards or less than putting all of my eggs on one two point conversion.  

amen

I recall a playoff where they went for it on fourth down right before the half. Instead, they should have let Tucker do his job and walked into the locker room having put points on the board. Of course they lost.

There's a lot to like about Harbaugh but I grow tired of his bad in game decision making.

#506 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 06:44 AM

I didn't like the decision when it was made, and didn't like it any moreso after the result. ;)

But the ultimate bigger problem once again, and as is always the case it seems... Before the last drive, the pass-run split was two to one or so.

This is a constant recipe for struggle and losses when the Ravens do it on the road against teams that have any semblance of a pass rush.

Injuries will ultimately be the biggest killer for this team this year... but if they're playing in January, chances are good John and Greg will do this again, and it will likely cost them a game. Only then it's lose and done...

Sad but true. The team isn't built for that. 

#507 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 06:46 AM

The only reason I didn't mind it is because if it worked, no one would be complaining about it. When you make that decision you're either a genius or a dumbass and the players ultimately decide your fate. 

#508 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,647 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:01 AM

Your point about the Steelers calling timeout has changed my feelings on this. The element of surprise was lost at that point.

I think I still lean towards it being the right call but it is a good point. When they called that timeout I did think “ok fine just kick the XP”. Kind of forgot about it in the excitement/aggravation that followed.

#509 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:23 AM

Also think I just heard Harbaugh postgame comments that included a remark along the lines of "They hit zero coverage a couple times, so you go to the well too many times and they get you. That's what happened."

He's talking about what the Steelers did to HIS defense. Cover zero gotta go with this group.

John is the HEAD coach. Tell your coordinators what to do sometimes...

#510 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:25 AM

I’d like to further discuss how our D was gassed when Pitt had the ball for like 59 seconds in the first half.

The Steelers averaged 7.38 yards/play in the fourth quarter.

#511 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:28 AM

The only reason I didn't mind it is because if it worked, no one would be complaining about it. When you make that decision you're either a genius or a dumbass and the players ultimately decide your fate.

People would still complain. I get it. I personally agree with Harbaughs call. But people would still complain. If Harbaugh kicks it and goes to OT, and Lamar goes down for the season, a lot of those same people would be complaining, saying Harbaugh should have just went for 2 and the win in regulation instead of risking more injuries in an extra period.

When watching the flow of the game, knowing your best CB won't be available. You just watched 30 mins of Pittsburgh hitting you for big plays, Harris starting to establish a running game. And watching your own offense struggle as soon as Pitt started emulating the Miami defensive strategy. I think trying to get 2 yards on a single play was the right call.

We as fans get the luxury of sitting back in our arm chairs, with perfect 20/20 hindsight. Harbaugh was "wrong" in a lot of peoples minds, simply because Lamar missed by a couple of inches on the final throw.

#512 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:48 AM

I'm a realist. If that offends your pollyanna sunshiney outlook, I really don't care. This team isn't good. They are not winning the superbowl. They are a mediocre team masquerading as a division leader.

Root for them as much as you want. Root for them to win all the football games in the whole wide world. You do you. I have a hard time getting invested in a story when I know how it ends already.

“Hard time getting invested...” yet here you are in every game thread, every day. 

Face it, bro.  You’re invested whether you know it or not. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#513 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:49 AM

What we just watched was the offense drive the field in less than 2 minutes to score and tie the game. But I guess that was an impossibility in OT? I guess we should always just go for 2 in end game situations, because extending the game could end Lamar’s season. Lol, maybe fans just can disagree with out one side being made to feel like total boobs and the side that was wrong (you) being intellectually superior.

#514 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:58 AM

Jesus. They seriously need to switch back to the PED's that they were using in 2019. Newer isn't always better. 

I said it once, I'll say it a million times....these guys are OVER TRAINED.  Big time.  Not even up to debate.  Until they fix that problem, the injuries will continue to pile up.  I also believe that most or all of them ARE taking PED's which isn't helping the situation one iota. 

#515 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,639 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:01 AM

The decision to go for it was IMO as much a reflection on the offense as the defense. Not much confidence in either unit so take your shot with 1 play from the 2 yard line. I see an argument for both sides but I likely go for it too.

Nothing about yesterday was surprising. Knew it would be another ugly slog. It was expected. Im done debating, with myself mostly, how good or bad this team is. They are uninteresting and boring. That makes me more apathetic than I should considering we are 8-4.

#516 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,639 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:03 AM

The decision to go for it was IMO as much a reflection on the offense as the defense. Not much confidence in either unit so take your shot with 1 play from the 2 yard line. I see an argument for both sides but I likely go for it too.

Nothing about yesterday was surprising. Knew it would be another ugly slog. It was expected. Im done debating, with myself mostly, how good or bad this team is. They are uninteresting and boring. That makes me more apathetic than I should considering we are 8-4.

Which is depressing considering how dynamic and fun our offense was in '19 and even '20.

#517 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:04 AM

Lamar’s poor play has just as much to do with him and the defenses than it does the injuries around him. I’m not sold at all on paying him half a bil and being resigned to exciting quarters of football here and there while missing the playoffs every year because we can’t pay anyone else (which would be somewhat similar to the injury situation). Gun to my head today - I wouldn’t do it. More of an indictment on the realities of the salary cap and how hard it is to build a roster when paying one person that much than it is on how I feel about Lamar.

But I’m not doing it. If you’re not Mahomes, Brady, Brees, truly one of those greats, you can’t do it.

#518 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:05 AM

“Hard time getting invested...” yet here you are in every game thread, every day.

Face it, bro. You’re invested whether you know it or not.

Because I like football. Is that hard to understand?

However, I'm approaching the season as though it's already over, and the Ravens are just playing out the string. I'm not saying that they are thinking about it that way, but you and I both know this team isn't winning a Super Bowl.

#519 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:14 AM

Because I like football. Is that hard to understand?

However, I'm approaching the season as though it's already over, and the Ravens are just playing out the string. I'm not saying that they are thinking about it that way, but you and I both know this team isn't winning a Super Bowl.

As a fan of this team, I'm just taking it one game at a time.  There's no point in trying to project weeks from now or if they're capable of going deep into the play-offs.  Nothing would surprise me with the way this league is evolving. 

#520 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,639 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:17 AM

Lamar’s poor play has just as much to do with him and the defenses than it does the injuries around him. I’m not sold at all on paying him half a bil and being resigned to exciting quarters of football here and there while missing the playoffs every year because we can’t pay anyone else (which would be somewhat similar to the injury situation). Gun to my head today - I wouldn’t do it. More of an indictment on the realities of the salary cap and how hard it is to build a roster when paying one person that much than it is on how I feel about Lamar.

But I’m not doing it. If you’re not Mahomes, Brady, Brees, truly one of those greats, you can’t do it.

You have to do it and you have to commit to being a run first offense. You have some very young pieces in place for 2- 4 more years in JK and Bateman. Thats a stud RB and WR. That allows you to fix the damn OL and be able to run all the exotic run schemes and designs we have the last few years. Im not worried about Lamar into his late 20s. You give him essentially a 4 year deal and commit to the offense first but it has to be a base offense lime '19 and '20. This is why I said I dont care as much about the wide receivers. Thats all Ravens fans have worrief about forever and guess what they have a veey good receiving corp. Andrews is a stud. Brown, Bateman, Watkins, and Duvernay. Come on you camt ask for much more from a unit in todays NFL. But we dont have Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers as our QB. You drafted him and built a unique offense for him. Get back to it. And to be fair the losses of Stanley, JK, and Gus all played a pretty big part in having to get away from it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=