593 replies to this topic

#581 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:58 PM

I guess my gut feeling about the situation and decision there is this...

The Ravens have been struggling overall in the RedZone lately. Or so it seems. So my feel was that they were fortunate to make that play on third down to get the TD. With running it in from the two seemingly not an option based on how they were calling the game, I didn't like their odds of basically scoring "touchdowns" on back to back plays.

Strange as it may seem, insane even... I felt like they stood a better chance of moving the ball with three (or four) plays at a time (maybe getting a big one in there somewhere) in the extra session, than I liked their chances of getting it in two straight plays.

Granted if Lamar throws the ball 6 inches closer to Andrews, it probably works. But still... That's where my fan head was at the time.

#582 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:53 PM

I'm on record as disagreeing with the decision to go for two.  But it's not like I think it's an "I can't believe a head coach did that" decision.  It's not like it was a Seattle Seahawks throwing the ball in the SB instead of giving it to Marshawn Lynch type of a decision.  I get where he was coming from, I just think I would decide to extend the game at that point rather than risk dying on the 2 yard line.  

Funny thing is that Harbaugh always quotes the analytics when talking about his decisions to go for it on 4th down, well the analytics here slightly favored kicking.  Tucker has made 373 out of 377 extra points.  That's a 99% chance based on history of it being successful.  The Ravens were successful 2 for 5 on previous 2 point conversion attempts this year.  That's a 40% chance based on this years history of being successful.  You have a 50% chance of winning the coin toss for overtime.  So even despite the loss of Humphrey, I think I'm willing to extend the game and take my chances in OT.  And you have to remember, the other team isn't just standing there at the two watching you walk through your play.  Lamar missed the pass by a little bit, but he also said after the game that he had to throw around TJ Watt who was coming at him.  The defense was trying to disrupt the play as much as the Ravens were trying to execute it.  Watt was successful at disrupting the play enough to make Jackson's throw slightly errant.  

Anything can happen once you go to OT.  I remember a game a couple of years ago where Pittsburgh had the momentum and the game went into OT.  They won the toss and were driving.  Then all of the sudden Humphrey punched the ball out from JuJu Smith-Schuster, the Ravens recover, kick the FG and win. 

It's a tough call.  And one you only avoid getting roasted on either way if you are successful and win the game.  If Harbuagh kicks it and takes it to OT and Pittsburgh drives the length of the field on the first drive torching the depleted secondary, everyone's on him for not going for the win.   I think Jerry Sandusky summed it up best when he said, "The Ravens finally ran out of rabbits feet."

• Biggsy likes this

#583 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:27 PM

To add insult to injury, the Steelers were lined up in the neutral zone on the 2 point play and the obviously, the refs missed it.

That’s OK, the refs missed the Ravens RG who jumped early on that TD pass to Watkins. 

#584 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:43 PM

Had he flashed this sort of play more in year two or three, I'd have been more on-board with this perception.  I've admitted it before, but I thought this was more of what we'd see from Lamar in year two when teams had film.

But a funny thing happened... he improved and they formed an offense to maximize his skillset.  I don't see it as teams "figuring him out".  He got better at a bunch of things, but frankly teams have always known "how to stop" him.  They just couldn't because he had the OL and RBs to keep them from doing what they want to do to stop him.  I think Lamar's done enough good in the first three years now, especially in year two and year three, to be a little optimistic that what we see now isn't "what he's destined to be".

With this cast of running backs, and the skillset of what's left on the OL, there's not much around him to help maximize what he does best.  And Roman / Harbaugh don't seem to do much scheme-wise to adjust either.  I'll cut them some slack with the injuries, but still don't think they're calling a gameplan that puts them in the best position to succeed.  Especially on the road.

He's NOT Tom Brady.  Hell, I dunno, but I suspect if you put Tom Brady behind this line and asked him to run an offense, he wouldn't look like himself either.  

The other thing you can do is start running no huddles for three to five plays at a stretch and wear out their blitzing offense.

#585 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:51 PM

The other thing you can do is start running no huddles for three to five plays at a stretch and wear out their blitzing offense.

Yeah, there are things that can be TRIED to slow a blitzing opponent.  My eyes don't see the Ravens trying to do anything different.

Seriously, someone want to tell me what I'm not seeing?  Because it sure looks like they just sort of stick to the same things, the same pace, the same sets, etc. and simply "hope everyone executes better".

#586 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:26 AM

Yeah, there are things that can be TRIED to slow a blitzing opponent.  My eyes don't see the Ravens trying to do anything different.

Seriously, someone want to tell me what I'm not seeing?  Because it sure looks like they just sort of stick to the same things, the same pace, the same sets, etc. and simply "hope everyone executes better".

The only new wrinkle in recent weeks is throwing Brown a lot of naked or mostly poorly blocked WR screens.

#587 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:54 AM

Yeah, there are things that can be TRIED to slow a blitzing opponent. My eyes don't see the Ravens trying to do anything different.

Seriously, someone want to tell me what I'm not seeing? Because it sure looks like they just sort of stick to the same things, the same pace, the same sets, etc. and simply "hope everyone executes better".

That's what I've been trying to say as well. I think the issues against the blitz lie at Roman's feet more than Lamar's.
  • jamesdean likes this

#588 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 10:05 AM

That's what I've been trying to say as well. I think the issues against the blitz lie at Roman's feet more than Lamar's.

Agree 100%.

#589 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:23 PM

Is this like how Flacco's faults were all the receivers and coordinators responsibilities?

We're watching the same game right? Lamar is making mistakes.

I'm not saying Lamar is the SOLE person responsible, but to not put some blame at his feet is incorrect IMO.

#590 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:41 PM

Is this like how Flacco's faults were all the receivers and coordinators responsibilities?

We're watching the same game right? Lamar is making mistakes.

I'm not saying Lamar is the SOLE person responsible, but to not put some blame at his feet is incorrect IMO.

Not one single person here has said Lamar is blameless. 

#591 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 01:44 PM

Not one single person here has said Lamar is blameless.

Trying to say Roman is the primary issue is excusing Lamar more than he should be.

#592 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 08 December 2021 - 08:34 AM

Trying to say Roman is the primary issue is excusing Lamar more than he should be.

The Film Study column in this morning's Sunpaper is pretty damning of Lamar's performance, specifically in regards to sacks.

https://www.baltimor...ismu-story.html

#593 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 10:34 AM

The Film Study column in this morning's Sunpaper is pretty damning of Lamar's performance, specifically in regards to sacks.

https://www.baltimor...ismu-story.html

I'm not surprised.

#594 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 12:06 PM

I think everyone agrees Lamar is playing terribly lately, no one is saying otherwise.

I think it is also reasonable to think that Roman is not doing him any favors either. 

And of course the above link shows two Fs at OT, that is not going to help.

Trying to figure out what percentage of blame to lay on any of them is pointless IMO. They all suck right now. But Lamar getting out of this funk is the only way they turn it around. Roman is what he is and the line isn't really going to change at this point (even if James comes back and is somehow good now he's just replacing Mekari).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=