155 replies to this topic

#21 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 December 2021 - 09:22 PM

No I get that. I’m saying with all the talent you have to use all 10 of your slots

Ah gotcha my bad.

#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 December 2021 - 11:46 AM

Disgusting to me if Ortiz is 1st ballot

Agreed, but be prepared to be disgusted, because he has become a media favorite.

JMO, he used PED's and got away with it.  Also, his whole act, rings phony to me.

@mikeghg

#23 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 December 2021 - 01:26 PM

I don't think he gets in on the first ballot. The DH thing will hold him back this year in my opinion. I'd bet he gets in next year. He does seem to be well liked by everyone, as opposed to Bonds, Clemens, and Rodriguez, though A Rod has changed a lot of minds in the court of public opinion. 

@beginthebegin71

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,099 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:19 PM

ESPN: Not as great: Assessing Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens without the PED factor

https://www.espn.com...ract-ped-factor

#25 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 13 December 2021 - 01:58 PM

The steroid thing is not an issue for me personally, but I get that it is for some, and while I don't agree, I respect it. 

What I don't get, and likely never will, is how anyone can vote for Bonds, Clemens, and Papi, but not A Rod, which the most recent voter (Jay Cohen of the AP) just did. Doesn't make sense. It can't be the first ballot thing, as Ortiz is a first ballot guy too, Now I don't think of Ortiz as the same as I do Bonds, Clemens, and A Rod, but again, i realize some do. 

I know it's opinion, and that's fine, but it just doesn't make sense to me at all. David Ortiz' family doesn't think he was a better player than Alex Rodriguez, so what can possibly be holding this guy back from voting for A Rod, since clearly steroids aren't the issue. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@beginthebegin71

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,099 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 02:33 PM

Agree with that Seth.  It's mental gymnastics. 

And while I think Bonds' career numbers are inflated, he would be have been HOF without. 

And if the HOF doesn't have Bonds and Clemens; it might as well not exist.

• SBTarheel likes this

#27 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 13 December 2021 - 02:38 PM

And while I think Bonds' career numbers are inflated, he would be have been HOF without. 

Agree with every single word of this. 

A Rod too, he was the best player I've ever seen, with respect to Griffey, Bonds, Pujols, and Trout. 

@beginthebegin71

#28 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 December 2021 - 03:12 PM

If one gets in, put them all in.  My thinking is the writers are going to make a mess of this.  I almost feel like they should have a PED class.

Bonds

Clemens

Sosa

Mark Mc.

Palmeiro

All should be considered together.

@mikeghg

#29 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 13 December 2021 - 03:18 PM

If one gets in, put them all in.  My thinking is the writers are going to make a mess of this.  I almost feel like they should have a PED class.

Bonds

Clemens

Sosa

Mark Mc.

Palmeiro

All should be considered together.

I've always said if it's so important then just put a note on their plaques...I personally don't think it's necessary to mention it, but if that helps get these guys in, then just do that. 

@beginthebegin71

#30 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 December 2021 - 03:24 PM

I've always said if it's so important then just put a note on their plaques...I personally don't think it's necessary to mention it, but if that helps get these guys in, then just do that. 

I really have come full circle.  My inityial thought was screw them all, but PED's were rampant throughout  MLB.  I get tired of hearing about it every year.  Put the whole group in together.  The speeches would be a must see.

• SBTarheel likes this
@mikeghg

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 December 2021 - 03:25 PM

And if you put Clemens in, he could finally forgive his wife for using all those steroids. :-P

@mikeghg

#32 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 December 2021 - 03:04 PM

The fun of the HOF vote, is that it's vague in its parameters of who is eligible. Like everyone else, I agree that Bonds and Clemens are HOFers, even without their obviously enhanced years. But I have absolutely loved watching them be denied for nearly a decade. I hope they don't get in, because they aren't likable people. And since integrity, character and sportsmanship are also factors, it's not unfair to lock them out. Morality is a sliding scale. here's to the scale sliding at a deep enough angle, that both men fall off the ballot forever. Let the Veterans Committee determine their eligibility

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 December 2021 - 07:39 PM

The fun of the HOF vote, is that it's vague in its parameters of who is eligible. Like everyone else, I agree that Bonds and Clemens are HOFers, even without their obviously enhanced years. But I have absolutely loved watching them be denied for nearly a decade. I hope they don't get in, because they aren't likable people. And since integrity, character and sportsmanship are also factors, it's not unfair to lock them out. Morality is a sliding scale. here's to the scale sliding at a deep enough angle, that both men fall off the ballot forever. Let the Veterans Committee determine their eligibility

Those factors have not been factors to the voters in the entire history of the voting body. Unless that is you want to consider being petty to players they personally didn't like. 

#34 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 08:35 PM

Do we think Clemens and Bonds ultimately get in this year?

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 08:56 PM

Nope. They'd need a third of the guys that haven't been voting for them to change their minds.

#36 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 15 December 2021 - 09:08 AM

Those factors have not been factors to the voters in the entire history of the voting body. Unless that is you want to consider being petty to players they personally didn't like. 

Both players were total ass hats. If the writers are snubbing them for that, I love it. You know those guys want in, and it's killing them that they aren't in yet. I think it's poetic justice. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#37 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2021 - 09:55 AM

I realize this isn’t how it works, but if you look at the lost opportunity for Bonds with the over 2,500 career walks he had and taking into account his home run rate, he could’ve had another 150-200 career homers.

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 10:46 AM

Both players were total ass hats. If the writers are snubbing them for that, I love it. You know those guys want in, and it's killing them that they aren't in yet. I think it's poetic justice.

Then let's rename the Hall of Fame to the Hall of Players the Writer's Liked.
  • BSLRoseKatz likes this

#39 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 December 2021 - 11:38 AM

The writers voting for who they like, has gone on since the original HOF class.  It is not right, especially when some of these writers are every bit the jerks the players they are blocking were, but it is not something new.

@mikeghg

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 11:52 AM

The writers voting for who they like, has gone on since the original HOF class. It is not right, especially when some of these writers are every bit the jerks the players they are blocking were, but it is not something new.

Sure, but ultimately that's played a small role in who gets in and who doesn't. The other point is let's not act like who the writers like is a legitimate part of the character clause, which again, has never played a role in who gets in otherwise until these steroid era candidates hit the ballot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=