407 replies to this topic

#401 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:41 PM

The funny thing is that it went out on Twitter, as a foot injury, questionable to return. The Ravens on the bench seemed to be trying not to laugh.

The coaches were smart, as they kept him down for a series, which may be enough to avoid a fine.

Also listed him as questionable for next week. At least they're fully committed to the ruse. lol

#402 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:45 PM

It was a terrible play call. Some of you go out of your way to give the benefit of the doubt. Dalton almost scorched us on the same exact call the play before. Then you do it again and this time he doesn’t miss. Dalton isn’t a complete boob. And if you’re going to make that call, you gotta get there. They seldom do. Wink should know better by now.

I do agree with you. As I said, if being stubborn and not adjusting his playcalling to his personnel gets him fired, then I have no argument. He has a system and he is sticking to it. Unfortunately he doesn't have the talent to run his system. And instead of adjusting, he continues to get beat. That's 100% on him.

#403 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 05:40 PM

I feel like Wink treats every QB like they're the same. Yesterday was sort of a good example in a way.

Fields is still young and still seeing a lot of teams, DBs, schemes, etc for the first time. Dalton has been around for a while, has seen everything and everyone, and has a better grasp of what to do when he sees certain looks BEFORE the ball is even snapped.

On the 2nd&6 overthrow and the 4th&11 TD bomb, Wink had three DBs standing at the LOS, between the hashes, like DL or LB. Stephens, Stone, and Clark. Two of those three are, by trade, safeties. Yes, I get that they're not exactly the world's best cover safety collective... but they stand a better chance of making a play if they're actually playing SAFETY. I'd bet every dime I own that on at least ONE of the two deep shots there, Dalton doesn't actually THROW the ball there and immediately looks for something underneath. And at least one of those targets probably cuts and changes his route because of the look.

On the third down play (I think?) Wink had two guys back in the safety positions, don't remember who. But what did Dalton do? Ball came out real quick (because he wasn't looking deep presnap based on coverage) and he overthrew his target, and the ball COULD have actually been picked off by a DB trailing had he reacted sooner.

Dalton took advantage of the looks Wink gave him, because he's a vet and has been through it all before. Wink acted like Fields was still in the game, and showing no signs of reading the defense...

#404 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 08:27 PM

What surprised me about Fields is that he had no touch at all on most of his passes.  He was just trying to throw everything through a brick wall and most of his passes were sailing.  I thought he looked horrible out there.  When he got hurt and knew Dalton was coming in, I was certain it would be the beginning of the end for the Ravens.  Fortunately, Dalton didn't look particularly sharp on a lot of his throws too. He missed some wide open receivers. 

#405 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 09:00 AM

As for the execution vs play call thing... Yes, if the players execute better than maybe they have better results. If a guy bursts through the line and forces a bad pass or gets the sack, great. If Westry covers well and stays with him stride for stride, maybe he breaks up the pass.

My issue is that past results suggest that Wink is sometimes hoping for things that are "unlikely" to go his way. In that specific spot (as with 2nd and 6 also) he left a huge hole / risk on the back end to try to make something happen in the pass rush game that wasn't happening often to begin with.

I could ask my worst shooter to take the game winning three attempt, and if they don't make it, well they didn't execute. But it's probably more my fault for asking the worst shooter to make the hardest / biggest shot.
  • bmore_ken and JStruds like this

#406 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 23 November 2021 - 09:51 AM

Just a random thought. Tucker was 3-3 while Chicago missed its only FG attempt in what appeared to be typical conditions in the windy city. We've come to expect that from him, but since it is Thanksgiving week, I figured it was worth mentioning. Thanks #9.
  • Mike B likes this

#407 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 11:07 AM

Just a random thought. Tucker was 3-3 while Chicago missed its only FG attempt in what appeared to be typical conditions in the windy city. We've come to expect that from him, but since it is Thanksgiving week, I figured it was worth mentioning. Thanks #9.

Absolutely.  The man is about as close to automatic as you're going to see in football.  He's worth every penny they've given him. 

#408 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 November 2021 - 04:31 PM

Simply the Best!!

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=