512 replies to this topic

#21 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 01:38 PM

Don't see any likely scenario where the Ravens don't win handedly.

I'm thinking 48-10 or something there abouts.

Miami is awful on offense. Just awful. Even our sorry defense should hold them to 10 or less.

Like the Lions?

#22 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 02:46 PM

I got the Ravens winning 31-17. The Ravens will maintain a lead the whole game and put the Dolphins away early in the 4th. After the last 2 games the Ravens will not come out flat against a much inferior opponent. I'm not worried about this one at all.

#23 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 03:01 PM

Don't see any likely scenario where the Ravens don't win handedly.

I'm thinking 48-10 or something there abouts.

Miami is awful on offense. Just awful. Even our sorry defense should hold them to 10 or less.

Watch Brissett throw for 400 yards. (LOL) 

#24 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 04:02 PM

Certainly capable of winning handily. Not sure how anyone can be confident it will happen

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 04:16 PM

Short week Thursday game, could easily get weird.

We are in a league where Jacksonville beat Buffalo Sunday. I would have comfortably bet my house on the Bills.
  • Mackus likes this

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 04:38 PM

Short week Thursday game, could easily get weird.

We are in a league where Jacksonville beat Buffalo Sunday. I would have comfortably bet my house on the Bills.

Weird could also mean Week 1 2019 as well.  The way the Ravens have played this season overall make it difficult to be supremely confident about any given game.  I'm optimistic.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 04:42 PM

Weird could also mean Week 1 2019 as well.  The way the Ravens have played this season overall make it difficult to be supremely confident about any given game.  I'm optimistic.

I'm expecting a Ravens win, with the Ravens eventually in control. 

So far this season we've seen them get down numerous times, before finding a way back into games. 

Sunday they wore Minnesota down.   Obviously the Vikings have skill position talent and a defense... and Miami is generally thin...  but short week could make the playing field closer...   or as you said, could be enough where the gulf in talent is that much wider. 

All I see league wide is a crazy amount of parity, exacerbated by injuries.  Week to week, it's how do you matchup individually and who is available?

These Thursday games always seem off to me. 

#28 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 10 November 2021 - 04:56 PM

These Thursday games always seem off to me.

I know it's highly, highly unlikely because $$$$ rules, but it would be nice if in the next CBA negotiation the players rebel against weekly Thursday games. Or, reach a compromise that it only involves teams coming off a bye.
  • Mackus likes this

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 05:01 PM

I know it's highly, highly unlikely because $$$$ rules, but it would be nice if in the next CBA negotiation the players rebel against weekly Thursday games. Or, reach a compromise that it only involves teams coming off a bye.

I think it should only be teams coming off byes.  Go to an 18-game schedule, give every team 2 byes.  Maybe need to do some scheduling magic to make it all work out.

#30 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 05:42 PM

I am hoping Bell builds on last week and continues to improve.  I like the interview he gave during this week's practices.    I don't think I've ever heard him speak before.  Maybe he just talks smack on twitter.  He seems humbled and grateful to be able to continue playing.  

#31 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 09:32 PM

I always look at the guy getting beat, and Marlon looked directly at Clark. From where I sit, it looked like Clark was tapping his chest as if to say, I missed it.

If you watch that play, Elliott turns around at the LOS right before the snap and gave a hand signal to Humphrey. When you watch the coverage, it looks like Humphrey and Clark are both playing man. Humphrey bites hard on a quick fake to the outside by Jefferson. And Clark seems to be playing man coverage on Osborn. Meanwhile Stephens, Elliott and Board all are playing Zone coverage in the same 5 yard area. Which is obviously not right. Their was a clear miscommunication in the secondary. Maybe it was on Clark, maybe it was on Humphrey. My guess is Humphrey just bit hard on a double move and got torched. Jefferson is a legit top WR. No shame in getting beat by the best every once in a while.

#32 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 09:40 PM

He falls back on the same tricks too often, but without the personnel to execute.

The consistent big plays against the best part of our secondary the past few weeks is getting really old. Jefferson torched Humphrey for a huge play Sunday, and obviously Chase just abused Marlon all day before the bye.

I still believe in Humphrey, so that's just poor coaching IMO. But never ye fear, Harbs wouldn't do it - not unless forced.

I'm not sure I pass off Humphrey getting beat on the coaching. At the pro level, technique and fundamentals should be natural. Humphrey is just not executing. And the defense being on the field more is just giving opposing WR's and QB's more opportunities against our secondary.

Someone said it in the game thread last week. I think it is very clear that the ball control offense the past two years really helped the defense possibly overachieve.

I personally believe Winks system is the perfect defense to run with a ball control style offense. If the offense can keep long drives going and score TD's instead of FG's on those long drives. The opposing teams becomes one dimensional, and those blitzes can cause some quick 3 and outs or turnovers. Which in turn leads to another long drive and points.

However, when the offense is more of a quick strike, passing style offense that doesn't eat as much clock. And the defense has to be on the field longer. Offenses start to find the cracks a little more. And with more opportunities, even someone like Jalen Ramsey can be beat badly from time to time. Thats the nature of today's NFL.

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 07:08 AM

Like the Lions?

More like the Chargers...or the Broncos.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#34 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 07:48 AM

I'm not sure I pass off Humphrey getting beat on the coaching. At the pro level, technique and fundamentals should be natural. Humphrey is just not executing. And the defense being on the field more is just giving opposing WR's and QB's more opportunities against our secondary.

Someone said it in the game thread last week. I think it is very clear that the ball control offense the past two years really helped the defense possibly overachieve.

I personally believe Winks system is the perfect defense to run with a ball control style offense. If the offense can keep long drives going and score TD's instead of FG's on those long drives. The opposing teams becomes one dimensional, and those blitzes can cause some quick 3 and outs or turnovers. Which in turn leads to another long drive and points.

However, when the offense is more of a quick strike, passing style offense that doesn't eat as much clock. And the defense has to be on the field longer. Offenses start to find the cracks a little more. And with more opportunities, even someone like Jalen Ramsey can be beat badly from time to time. Thats the nature of today's NFL.

I agree 100%.  It may have been me that said that in a post because I firmly believe it's the only way this defense is going to minimize potential damage.  Keep them on the side line.  After 8 games, it's pretty obvious that their propensity to give up big plays is not going to change.  I'd also like to see less empty backfields with Lamar because it makes the offense very predictable and is contributing to his sack total.  Concentrate on pounding the ball, eating clock and if you score 7-10 less points a game, so be it. 

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 08:18 AM

Would love to be able to go to bed at half with little stress but that seems pretty unlikely
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#36 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 08:49 AM

Wink's system relies too much on Cover 0 and single high safety for my liking. They routinely get burned the most in these looks. And even when they play more deep, they often aren't deep enough and still get beaten over the top.

You can get away with it more against younger QBs, lesser QBs, etc. But anyone with upper level talent tends to make it a long afternoon...

#37 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 09:12 AM

Wink's system relies too much on Cover 0 and single high safety for my liking. They routinely get burned the most in these looks. And even when they play more deep, they often aren't deep enough and still get beaten over the top.

You can get away with it more against younger QBs, lesser QBs, etc. But anyone with upper level talent tends to make it a long afternoon...

It's fine when you have the proper personnel. Losing Peters hurt more than we realized it would. Wink needs sticky man cover guys who can press. With Peters and Humphrey, you have two guys who can do that at a high level.

Averett and Young just aren't able to do what Peters can do. I'm fine with an aggressive, cover 0 defense. I'd rather live and die by the blitz and being aggressive, than to play conservative and die by a thousand cuts. In today's NFL, with the way the rules are designed for the offense to succeed, you almost have to be aggressive, and try to force mistakes. The only way you can win with a heavy coverage style of defense is to have horses up front that can consistently win. The Ravens don't have that. If you want to see pressure on the QB, unfortunately it's going to have to be generated by blitzes with our current defensive roster. Otherwise, you rush 4, drop 7, and the QB has 5+ seconds to find someone.

#38 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 11:03 AM

It's fine when you have the proper personnel. Losing Peters hurt more than we realized it would. Wink needs sticky man cover guys who can press. With Peters and Humphrey, you have two guys who can do that at a high level.

Averett and Young just aren't able to do what Peters can do. I'm fine with an aggressive, cover 0 defense. I'd rather live and die by the blitz and being aggressive, than to play conservative and die by a thousand cuts. In today's NFL, with the way the rules are designed for the offense to succeed, you almost have to be aggressive, and try to force mistakes. The only way you can win with a heavy coverage style of defense is to have horses up front that can consistently win. The Ravens don't have that. If you want to see pressure on the QB, unfortunately it's going to have to be generated by blitzes with our current defensive roster. Otherwise, you rush 4, drop 7, and the QB has 5+ seconds to find someone.

Peters will never win any tackling awards but he made offenses conscious of him because of his ability to intercept.  Not only do the Ravens rarely sack a quarterback but they'll probably finish the season in the bottom 5 for interceptions.  Two major reasons they can't get off the field. 

#39 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 November 2021 - 01:37 PM

More like the Chargers...or the Broncos.

Wait, can we talk about good games?? :-P

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#40 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 02:01 PM

Wait, can we talk about good games?? :-P

To some this team has never played a good game.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=