#21 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:13 PM

To be honest when I watched the game, it didn't look like that was all on him. As has been mentioned by a few people already, they stacked the box most of the game.

I think, to borrow a golf analogy, we're in between clubs from a schematic standpoint. The last 2 weeks, we've done a lot of iso/power stuff and it hasn't worked. We haven't seen a lot of "our" running game; RPOs, mesh point reads by Lamar, motion, etc.

Perhaps it's personnel related....the running back position has been in flux, ditto for the Oline. Maybe we're trying to find the right mix at RB, which Harbaugh alluded to. Or, it may be gamelan oriented. Look to grow the passing game early in the year, get a bunch of stuff on film, then break out the heavy artillery of the running game in November.
  • bmore_ken likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,037 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:16 PM

I think, to borrow a golf analogy, we're in between clubs from a schematic standpoint. The last 2 weeks, we've done a lot of iso/power stuff and it hasn't worked. We haven't seen a lot of "our" running game; RPOs, mesh point reads by Lamar, motion, etc.

Perhaps it's personnel related....the running back position has been in flux, ditto for the Oline. Maybe we're trying to find the right mix at RB, which Harbaugh alluded to. Or, it may be gamelan oriented. Look to grow the passing game early in the year, get a bunch of stuff on film, then break out the heavy artillery of the running game in November.

It is a bit of a chess match in that way. What you put out on film and how he play off of it as the year goes on. Roman is pretty confident he can make any run game work. I do think it should improve as the season goes on. Not that it is bad now. That said, you dont have a stud like Dobbins. That hurts. You just have guys.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#23 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:29 PM

It is a bit of a chess match in that way. What you put out on film and how he play off of it as the year goes on. Roman is pretty confident he can make any run game work. I do think it should improve as the season goes on. Not that it is bad now. That said, you dont have a stud like Dobbins. That hurts. You just have guys.

One of those guys is averaging 6.1

#24 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,037 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:50 PM

I think Williams is just a guy. Not that he or others arent or cant be productive

#25 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 07:27 PM

I think Williams is just a guy. Not that he or others arent or cant be productive

We'll have to agree to disagree. 

#26 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,037 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 07:38 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Everyone thought Alex Collins was something too. He was undrafted, been on practice squads, and was just a healthy scratch. Again not saying he cant be productive nor am I saying hes not better than some or all of our other current options.

#27 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,282 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 08:05 PM

Everyone thought Alex Collins was something too. He was undrafted, been on practice squads, and was just a healthy scratch. Again not saying he cant be productive nor am I saying hes not better than some or all of our other current options.

For our system he is absolutely better. He can actually get to the edge and gain positive yards on runs outside of the tackles. You can actually use your full playbook with Williams.
  • PrimeTime, jamesdean, bmore_ken and 1 other like this

#28 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 08:48 PM

Alex Collins scored a TD yesterday.
  • bmore_ken likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#29 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,200 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:15 AM

Good stuff Mike.

Andre Smith looks like he did not expect to be on a team this year. He looks out of shape to me. Finding a tackle seems like a must as the trade deadline nears.

He looks like a mess.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#30 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:11 AM

He may ultimately turn out to be just as you say.  To be fair, his production is a very small sampling.  But there's no denying he has more speed, first cut explosion, and at least the possibility of breaking a big run.  If you're going to rely on just Lamar for that element, it's not going to end well.  You need all the parts working together for the machine to go full throttle like we're used to.  Opposing defenses would love nothing more than seeing Murray, Bell and Freeman out there every week. 

• Mike in STL and bmore_ken like this

#31 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,037 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:33 AM

I mean they still stacked the box with our "trio of trash". They might love seeing those three but they probably dont love seeing Andrews, Brown, and Duvernay wide open behind them
  • JStruds likes this

#32 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:33 AM

The assumption I'm working off of is that the different look to the running game is absolutely personnel related. It would make a ton of sense to not risk ball security with a group of backs who aren't comfortable with that whole operation yet. And if there are ball security concerns with Williams in particular, they're sure as hell not going to want him working the mesh point with Lamar, though I still can't understand him being the healthy scratch out of that group. Got to be more to that situation.

And I think we can all safely assume they're taking Lamar's health over the course of the season into account here too. He's already missing practices with a sore back (very fitting with the way he carries the offense).

I hope it's something they can eventually work their way back into later in the season. It's fun to watch and makes the offense so unique and hard to prepare for. But the improved passing game will have to continue to show up as needed. I'm looking forward to seeing Bateman get involved. They've got a nice group of receivers now that they can move around, and they seem to be getting open more frequently this season.

• PrimeTime likes this

#33 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,037 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:35 AM

Btw just think of that. Lamar has a terrific YPA. His passing yards are up. And he has had multiple long td passes called back or dropped the last few weeks. Teams better start softening up the damn box a bit

#34 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,282 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:54 AM

Btw just think of that. Lamar has a terrific YPA. His passing yards are up. And he has had multiple long td passes called back or dropped the last few weeks. Teams better start softening up the damn box a bit

They won't. And I'm ok with that. First team that realizes they don't need to stack to box to stop Murray and Bell will probably give us headaches. Denver has a really good secondary, so to see them get consistently beat by out WR's was a great sign.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#35 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 02:26 PM

Murray fills a role.  I expect either Freeman or Bell is a casualty when they start bringing guys back.  Again I think all the angst over the running backs is a little over done.  These are after all our 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th backs.

Freeman's likely gone once Bateman's ready, unless there's another IR to return for someone like Elliott.

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,786 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 02:32 PM

Freeman's likely gone once Bateman's ready, unless there's another IR to return for someone like Elliott.

There is no IR-to-return designation anymore.  Anyone (and everyone) on IR can return after missing 3 games.

#37 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,037 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:32 PM

Any Boyle updates?

#38 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:28 AM

There is no IR-to-return designation anymore.  Anyone (and everyone) on IR can return after missing 3 games.

Once the season starts there is. Before the rosters are set if you are IR'd you are out for the season. Writers are still saying its IR to return.

#39 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 06:41 AM

Once the season starts there is. Before the rosters are set if you are IR'd you are out for the season. Writers are still saying its IR to return.

You're right. But there is no limit to the number of guys who can return if you are placed on IR once the season starts. So I think they did away with the formal designation and it's just assumed that anyone can return if placed on IR after 9/1. If they go back to the rules pre-COVID, the official designation might came back because it was only one player that could have that ability to return. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#40 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,282 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 11:32 AM

I just rewatched the game and noticed a unique way that the Ravens used Oweh. A few times during the game, he stunted towards the middle of the field, but he disengaged from the line and became almost like a QB spy. The play where he concussed Bridgewater was one of those plays. Carson Wentz loves to hold the ball and move around a lot, so I think you see Wink employ that stunt to spy for Oweh again on Monday night. It seemed to be extremely effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=