#761 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,539 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:12 PM

They did just give up 42. And we get the west coast team playing on the east coast at 1pm advantage. Let's see how it shakes out.

It's just that Herbert is so much better than Wentz. That whole offense is. But so is Mahomes and the Chiefs and we still made a few stops at the end of the day. Gonna have to score a lot of points, I'd think.

#762 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:32 PM

Welp the Ravens have pretty much earned my entertainment dollar this year with my ticket costs
  • You Play to Win the Game and NewMarketSean like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#763 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,539 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:38 PM

Welp the Ravens have pretty much earned my entertainment dollar this year with my ticket costs

On night games don't they stop selling alcohol after the 3rd quarter? You had to be beyond pleased OT ended so quickly.

#764 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:47 PM

On night games don't they stop selling alcohol after the 3rd quarter? You had to be beyond pleased OT ended so quickly.

End of half time. End of 3rd quarter for day games.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#765 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 03:56 PM

I haven't seen any slo-mo replays yet, but the referee explained that the ball was released at the 24 and caught at the 25 (or so I think he said; crowd noise). That's a forward toss of the ball, right? Unless he's wrong about the release point and the catch point.

The replay I saw showed the catch point forward. It was the right call imo.

#766 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 04:03 PM

The replay I saw showed the catch point forward. It was the right call imo.

It depended on what angle they were showing.  From the front and above the play, the lateral forward/backwards was indiscernable to me. Could have gone either way.  But the one angle they showed from the side, it did look like a forward lateral.  Not by much but I'm sure that's the angle they looked at and chose to make the call on.  Regardless, the Colts scored anyway so it didn't turn out to be too controversial. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#767 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 12 October 2021 - 04:28 PM

It depended on what angle they were showing.  From the front and above the play, the lateral forward/backwards was indiscernable to me. Could have gone either way.  But the one angle they showed from the side, it did look like a forward lateral.  Not by much but I'm sure that's the angle they looked at and chose to make the call on.  Regardless, the Colts scored anyway so it didn't turn out to be too controversial. 

It's really hard to see, because he threw it clearly behind him from his frame of reference, but it looks like he didn't quite get enough juice on it to counteract his running speed.  I would say it was less than a yard - more like 1/2 yard forward.

• bmore_ken likes this

#768 CMU82

CMU82
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 05:43 PM

Here's the lateral, watch where Leonard is as he is trying to hand it backwards and where he lands when #34 gets his first touch.  Leonard is in front of him the entire time.  

I don't see anything remotely close to conclusive evidence to reverse what was called/not called on the field.

Lamar Jackson Fumbles On 1 Yard Line & Darius Leonard Gets Called for an Illegal Forward Pass..

#769 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:17 PM

Great point about Freeman.

He did make some plays during crunch time.

I don't think its unfair to say Freeman looked like the best RB on the roster at the moment.

#770 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:21 PM

I don't think its unfair to say Freeman looked like the best RB on the roster at the moment.

As a runner or receiving out of the backfield? If the first I disagree, if the second, ok, sure, but it was just one half really.

#771 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:58 PM

One of those what ifs to ponder is would we be seeing this growth from the passing game if Dobbins and Edwards we're healthy?

Fair question, but this is not the same passing game as last year.  The addition of Keith Williams and Tee Martin has, IMO really improved the coordination of the receivers routes.

However, it would be fun to watch if Dobbins, Edwards, Stanley and Boyle were healthy. It might equal an unstoppable attack.

@mikeghg

#772 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:00 PM

I will continue to say, we will not know for sure, what we have in the backs until the defenses start to scheme to stop Lamar and the passing attack.

The guys right now do not have room to run.

@mikeghg

#773 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:18 PM

With Bateman coming back, Roman might have Lamar throw 50 times this week.  He has to be punch drunk with euphoria watching all those passing yards add up.  Teams will certainly adjust at some point but for now, it's pretty much like having the Chiefs in the NFC North. 

#774 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:29 PM

Here's the lateral, watch where Leonard is as he is trying to hand it backwards and where he lands when #34 gets his first touch. Leonard is in front of him the entire time.

I don't see anything remotely close to conclusive evidence to reverse what was called/not called on the field.

Lamar Jackson Fumbles On 1 Yard Line & Darius Leonard Gets Called for an Illegal Forward Pass..

I dunno. Watching the same video in slo-mo it looks pretty clear to me that the ball travels forward slightly (towards the target endzone) from the time it's released to the time it's touched. Player A staying even or ahead of Player B during the transfer is of no consequence. All that matters is the "point above earth" when he lets go, compared to when it's touched by the second player.

Frankly, I think a lot of illegal forward pass / laterals get missed because of the illusion that the first guy staying ahead of the second makes it look like it was passed backwards. When it's really tossed forward...

#775 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 08:23 PM

With Bateman coming back, Roman might have Lamar throw 50 times this week. He has to be punch drunk with euphoria watching all those passing yards add up. Teams will certainly adjust at some point but for now, it's pretty much like having the Chiefs in the NFC North.

Itll add up if we continuously play from behind as well

#776 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:24 AM

Itll add up if we continuously play from behind as well

Real good chance that happens this Sunday too. 

#777 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:43 PM

Chargers are 32nd in rushing yards allowed. I know our RBs suck but we should make a real attempt to see if we can't get the running game going like we did against KC (29th) and keep the Chargers offense off the field with long sustained drives.

I'm feeling more and more confident in Lamar winning as a more traditional passer but nothing inspires more confidence than crushing another team's soul by pounding the ball down their throat.

I wonder if Roman knows LAC is 32nd. :D

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#778 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:59 PM

Chargers are 32nd in rushing yards allowed. I know our RBs suck but we should make a real attempt to see if we can't get the running game going like we did against KC (29th) and keep the Chargers offense off the field with long sustained drives.

I'm feeling more and more confident in Lamar winning as a more traditional passer but nothing inspires more confidence than crushing another team's soul by pounding the ball down their throat.

I wonder if Roman knows LAC is 32nd. :D

You'll have to pull him away from the passing yards ether first.  When he gets his head cleared of the euphoria, I'm sure he'll become aware of the fact that the Chargers are horrible against the run.  Whether he does something about it is another story.  But everything you said makes perfect sense, especially keeping Herbert & Co. off the field. 

#779 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,539 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2021 - 01:15 PM

If they try and force the run against anyone, it'll only improve the oppositions run defense statistics. This isn't a running team, in the pure sense. They don't need to be to win. They don't need to run to put together long drives either. Our offense has sputtered most in sequences where at least 2 of the 3 downs were rush attempts.

This isn't your older brothers Ravens team. They can't run (with RB's), they can't tackle, and frankly, they have struggled stopping the run at times despite being 7th currently in run D, because of who we've played).

#780 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 01:25 PM

If they try and force the run against anyone, it'll only improve the oppositions run defense statistics. This isn't a running team, in the pure sense. They don't need to be to win. They don't need to run to put together long drives either. Our offense has sputtered most in sequences where at least 2 of the 3 downs were rush attempts.

This isn't your older brothers Ravens team. They can't run (with RB's), they can't tackle, and frankly, they have struggled stopping the run at times despite being 7th currently in run D, because of who we've played).

They are completely being carried by Lamar so far. Could you imagine this team with 2016 Flacco under center.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=