Photo

College Football 2021: General Talk (Georgia Wins Title)

• Please log in to reply
1045 replies to this topic

#921 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 December 2021 - 07:58 PM

Jesus Christ

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#922 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 December 2021 - 07:58 PM

Please don’t take the CFP away. Or any major bowl

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#923 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,358 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 December 2021 - 02:16 PM

Officials now saying there’s only a 60% chance the Arizona Bowl gets played due to Boise State’s COVID issues. If they can’t play, Central Michigan may play Washington State in the Sun Bowl instead of Miami.
@BSLZackKiesel

#924 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,445 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 December 2021 - 05:22 PM

BSU has officially pulled out of the Barstool Sports bowl.

After some thought I think there is a solution to bowl season.

1. The actual games are a money loser for the schools.

2. Some players opt out of them prior to the draft. Coaches have said they are leaving or left. Players have entered the transfer portal. And some simply don't care that much so the game product quality is much reduced.

3. Nobody cares except for the fans of the actual schools involved and I am not sure that even is the case anymore.

So here's the solution.

1. Pair down the number of bowl games to around 12 including the CFP.

2. Only teams ranked in the top 30 are eligible. Teams must have a minimum record of 8=4. No more rewarding mediocrity.

3. Allow EVERY team the same extra practices as what is currently allowed for "bowl eligible" teams.

Benefits:

1. The schools that need the practices the most, the bad teams, get them.

2. Schools don't lose near as much money.

3. The teams that do make a bowl game have some honest bragging rights, i.e, recruiting sales pitch.

• Mike in STL likes this

#925 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 December 2021 - 05:40 PM

Even when it’s not a CFP game, usually the Rose Bowl has enough prestige you don’t see opt-outs. So far, Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, Haskell Garrett and Nicholas Petit-Frere have opted not to play for OSU. Might give Utah a better chance of pulling an upset.

#926 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 05:46 PM

And just like that the CDC lowers its recommended quarantine for asymptomatic, vaccinated COVID patients from 10 days to 5. ‘Bout damn time.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#927 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 05:51 PM

Wonder if the heat they were getting from playing in a game sponsored by Barstool played any part in the decision. Barstool was toxic enough that even ESPN wanted no part of broadcasting the game and it was only going to be available on YouTube.

#928 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:20 PM

After some thought I think there is a solution to bowl season.

1. The actual games are a money loser for the schools.

2. Some players opt out of them prior to the draft. Coaches have said they are leaving or left. Players have entered the transfer portal. And some simply don't care that much so the game product quality is much reduced.

3. Nobody cares except for the fans of the actual schools involved and I am not sure that even is the case anymore.

So here's the solution.

1. Pair down the number of bowl games to around 12 including the CFP.

2. Only teams ranked in the top 30 are eligible. Teams must have a minimum record of 8=4. No more rewarding mediocrity.

3. Allow EVERY team the same extra practices as what is currently allowed for "bowl eligible" teams.

Benefits:

1. The schools that need the practices the most, the bad teams, get them.

2. Schools don't lose near as much money.

3. The teams that do make a bowl game have some honest bragging rights, i.e, recruiting sales pitch.

Also, why does there need to be a “solution” to bowl season? I don’t see where the problem is. Most of the matchups are lame. So what? Don’t watch.

Totally agree with you though on the practice part. That the teams who need the extra work the most aren’t allowed to get it is a problem. Let everyone have the extra practices, and the teams that don’t have a bowl game can do a scrimmage. Or better yet, let them host a nearby FCS team for a game if they want.

#929 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 08:25 PM

Officials now saying there’s only a 60% chance the Arizona Bowl gets played due to Boise State’s COVID issues. If they can’t play, Central Michigan may play Washington State in the Sun Bowl instead of Miami.

It’s official now. CMU will play in the Sun Bowl. Glad they could do this.

And seeing this kind of flexibility and willingness to bring things together so quickly only makes it more irritating that schools feel the need to schedule out of conference games 15 years into the future

#930 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,445 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 December 2021 - 08:28 AM

Also, why does there need to be a “solution” to bowl season? I don’t see where the problem is. Most of the matchups are lame. So what? Don’t watch.

Totally agree with you though on the practice part. That the teams who need the extra work the most aren’t allowed to get it is a problem. Let everyone have the extra practices, and the teams that don’t have a bowl game can do a scrimmage. Or better yet, let them host a nearby FCS team for a game if they want.

The problem is this. Teams "schedule" a bowl game and tout how important it is for their fans to show up and support the program. So BSU cancels out their game. No biggie to the school. In fact they actually save money because the payout was way less than it would cost the conference to send the team and staff to the game in the first place. But what about those poor fans who actually wanted to support their team. They are out a hunk of change in travel arrangements. How about the poor souls who went to Hawaii to watch that bowl game which Hawaii pulled out of AFTER their opponents and fans were already there. Sure you can say that no biggie they still are in Hawaii....eh ok.

In the case of BSU they asked to play in the Potato bowl in Boise. Stay home, not lose money, and get all the extra practices. But they were forced to go to the Barstool Sports because the MWC commish is a total ass hat and had negotiated a "deal" with Barstool. Barstool had the lowest payout of all the bowl games but somehow convinced the MWC commish to sign a contract giving Barstool the second pick of any bowl eligible team they wanted (conf champ was obligated to go to the Jimmy Kimmel bowl).

Its easy to say don't watch, and I don't much anymore, but that does not address the root issue in that schools are forced to attend based upon whatever contracts their conference has agreed to. And in most cases those bowl committees have mandatory ticket allocations to the schools that the schools have to pay for whether they sell their allotment or not. AND those tickets are as costly as buying them over the counter and in much poorer seating locations.  

Schools are complaining that its so expensive to run sports programs, and they aren't wrong, but holding them hostage to something that is guaranteed to lose them money is wrong.

Ok rant over....lol

#931 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,445 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 December 2021 - 08:34 AM

....one more thought. I would have no problem with the bowl season (participation trophy season) with one change.

Have as many bowls as someone wants to pay for. Simple business approach. The bowl committee pays for the schools expenses to travel (players and staff). Then they pay the schools some negotiated percentage of the profits. If a bowl can live with that then knock your self out. 

#932 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 11:41 AM

The problem is this. Teams "schedule" a bowl game and tout how important it is for their fans to show up and support the program. So BSU cancels out their game. No biggie to the school. In fact they actually save money because the payout was way less than it would cost the conference to send the team and staff to the game in the first place. But what about those poor fans who actually wanted to support their team. They are out a hunk of change in travel arrangements. How about the poor souls who went to Hawaii to watch that bowl game which Hawaii pulled out of AFTER their opponents and fans were already there. Sure you can say that no biggie they still are in Hawaii....eh ok.

In the case of BSU they asked to play in the Potato bowl in Boise. Stay home, not lose money, and get all the extra practices. But they were forced to go to the Barstool Sports because the MWC commish is a total ass hat and had negotiated a "deal" with Barstool. Barstool had the lowest payout of all the bowl games but somehow convinced the MWC commish to sign a contract giving Barstool the second pick of any bowl eligible team they wanted (conf champ was obligated to go to the Jimmy Kimmel bowl).

Its easy to say don't watch, and I don't much anymore, but that does not address the root issue in that schools are forced to attend based upon whatever contracts their conference has agreed to. And in most cases those bowl committees have mandatory ticket allocations to the schools that the schools have to pay for whether they sell their allotment or not. AND those tickets are as costly as buying them over the counter and in much poorer seating locations.  

Schools are complaining that its so expensive to run sports programs, and they aren't wrong, but holding them hostage to something that is guaranteed to lose them money is wrong.

Ok rant over....lol

1. The cancellations are purely COVID-related, not a core issue with bowl season. That sucks for people who paid to go see the game, but that’s not a permanent thing (dear god I hope not).

2. It sounds like you believe the schools don’t make enough money off college football. I believe that’s the first time I’ve ever heard that. ;)

#933 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 11:44 AM

....one more thought. I would have no problem with the bowl season (participation trophy season) with one change.

Have as many bowls as someone wants to pay for. Simple business approach. The bowl committee pays for the schools expenses to travel (players and staff). Then they pay the schools some negotiated percentage of the profits. If a bowl can live with that then knock your self out. 

My last thought is these bowls are mostly non-profit entities that donate a lot of proceeds to local charities. Now there have been some shenanigans in the past with the boards and where the money goes (Fiesta Bowl), but I think they watch that much more closely now.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#934 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 03:22 PM

Holiday Bowl between UCLA and NC State tonight just got canceled. COVID outbreak for UCLA.

#935 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,397 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 01:38 PM

CBS Sports: College Football Playoff 2021 prediction: Why the No. 2 Michigan Wolverines can win the national title

https://www.cbssport...national-title/

#936 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,397 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 03:54 PM

CBS Sports: Alabama vs. Cincinnati prediction, pick, Cotton Bowl playoff game odds, line, live stream, TV channel

https://www.cbssport...eam-tv-channel/

CBS Sports: Orange Bowl 2021: Georgia must flush crushing unease of Alabama loss in hopes of bouncing back vs. Michigan

https://www.cbssport...ck-vs-michigan/

#937 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,397 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 08:57 AM

#938 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,397 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 09:08 AM

CBS Sports: College Football Playoff 2021 prediction: Why the No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide will win back-to-back titles

https://www.cbssport...to-back-titles/

CBS Sports: Why No. 4 Cincinnati can win the national title

#939 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,358 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 December 2021 - 03:00 PM

Shane Beamer just took a bath in 4.5 gallons of mayonnaise. Anyone who says there are too many bowl games is crazy.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#940 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 06:34 PM

BSL: College Football 2021 - Playoff Semifinals Preview

The moment you've all been waiting for! My preview and prediction for both semifinal games.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=