623 replies to this topic

#601 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:11 AM

Was Williams missing any blocks? I don't recall any and the Raiders weren't blitzing much, but that's about the only plausible explanation I can think of. Or perhaps he tweaked something?

I think it's more of a Harbaugh "LeTs TrUsT oUr VeTrAn" BS. I'm already sick and tired of watching Murray labor for 2 yards. Just let Williams eat until he proves ineffective.

#602 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:12 AM

Tucker and Oweh the big positives.  Tucker expected.  Oweh looked real good.

Queen too. Liked what I saw from Ty'Son Williams. I think the run game will be OK once they learn how to do fake handoffs.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#603 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:13 AM

Wink's "could be special" defense gave up 435 yards passing, the third most in the past 15 years of MNF.

Peters was a huge part of that "special defense." When you lose a top 5 press-man corner the week of gameday, and have to replace him with Averrett and Westry, it kind of takes your defense down a notch.

#604 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:12 AM

Westry was excellent last night. It'll be interesting to see how he grades out.

#605 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:24 AM

All this talk of Proche all camp... dude saw 7 snaps last night.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#606 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:31 AM

Facing KC next week may be one of the most embarrassing losses in team history. I can't imagine how much that passing attack will feast on this secondary with zero pass rush.

#607 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:08 AM

What Carr did numbers-wise doesn't scare me long-term, yet.  But I think Carr is a pretty good NFL QB that can "win a game on his own" (for whatever that means in football, it's not really completely true).  The Peters injury is very tough, no doubt, given his ball skills.  And Smith being out certainly didn't help.  But Derek Carr can light it up at times.  Combine season opener, at home, live crowd, etc... none of that should be shocking to people in my opinion.  And Lamar isn't going to fumble multiple times a game every week.

The bigger concern is the game / situation management stuff to me.  Things we see every season.  And it might sound silly because their record is almost always good / respectable, they're usually in the post-season and always in contention, etc.  But I never feel like Harbaugh and the staff are putting their players in "best" positions to win too often.

The last play before the FG with about 40 seconds left... while Stanley wasn't exactly his old self yet last night, he wasn't getting pushed as badly as Villanueva... why not run that little "safe pass / keep option" play the other way? 

The average NFL kickoff return is probably about 25 yards.  Without researching who returned last year vs this year for the Raiders, the Raiders were 30th last year in kickoff return distance at like 19 per return.  In week one, the average return distance was 21 yards, and only a handful went over 30 yards. Knowing that they've been moving the ball on you pretty easily... maybe kick off and tell Tucker to leave it at the goal line to make them return it... cover and burn another 5 to 7 seconds most likely. Shrink the clock, and maybe they come out with a slightly more limited mindset offensively.  Or instead of another shot down the middle on the second completion, maybe they start going shorter and outside more, not wanting to risk what could happen being tackled and maybe in a pile in the middle of the field.  Little stuff like that.  Would you trade, knowing your opponent has no timeouts, ball at the 30 with 30 seconds left, or ball at the 25 with 37 seconds left?  I'd give the 5 yards to burn the time. 

I know this is all theoretical, but it's the sort of stuff that I think John is on the wrong end of WAY, WAY too often.  The burning TOs early because the call is in too late in a big third down situation.  The way they frequently seem to abandon the run in the second half of games (seems more likely on the road) when they're NOT IN A HOLE THAT DICTATES IT.

I really have a hard time seeing it change for the better under him...

#608 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:16 AM

Williams put the ball on the ground late. Luckily he was on the sideline. He also gave a horrible effort blocking on the last Lamar fumble. These things are tge things that could continue to keep him out late in tight games.

We can bitch about the gameplan but its a lot of hindsight. After a bad 3rd Q we ramped it back up to close regulation. We also had a few drives end because of drops/bad passes to open receivers. I feel like Roman called a good game. Players didnt execute enough.

#609 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:20 AM

I mean some of the issues are evident but man what a different feeling and conversation if we get just one damn incomplete pass or dont let Carr push the ball so far down the field in the last 35 sec of regulation. Lots of things you can point at but that was tough.
  • Mackus likes this

#610 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:32 AM

I mean some of the issues are evident but man what a different feeling and conversation if we get just one damn incomplete pass or dont let Carr push the ball so far down the field in the last 35 sec of regulation. Lots of things you can point at but that was tough.

Agree.  Not a lot of complaints from me about either side of the ball up until that drive. 

#611 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:47 AM

Williams put the ball on the ground late. 

Did he?  I don't see where he had any fumbles.  Do you mean the messed up handoff in the first half where Jackson was charged with the fumble?

#612 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:49 AM

Did he?  I don't see where he had any fumbles.  Do you mean the messed up handoff in the first half where Jackson was charged with the fumble?

He had one right at the sideline at the end of a play.  May have not been officially called a fumble, if he was out or ruled stopped before it came loose.

#613 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:01 AM

Yeah he lost one oob late. I guess if you lose it directly oob its not a fumble

#614 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:06 AM

By the way, that failed 4th down in the first half instead of taking the easy 3 points absolutely cost them the game.

#615 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:07 AM

By the way, that failed 4th down in the first half instead of taking the easy 3 points absolutely cost them the game.

That was a failed play. I think it was the right move but that absolutely should have been "give it to Lamar and let him find a hole"

#616 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:08 AM

That wouldve been a long FG but yeah it 8s Tucker. They almost always go for it there and should. Potentially a 6 point swing but its hindsight to bitch about that when our history of 4th and short conversions with Lamar as QB is so high

#617 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:31 AM

Going for it there is fine. I'm pretty sure analytics will always support that.

Calling a RB dive from the pistol when you have Lamar Jackson though...

#618 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:32 AM

Going for it there is fine. I'm pretty sure analytics will always support that.

Calling a RB dive from the pistol when you have Lamar Jackson though...

An RB dive with an RB that just got onto your team when you have Lamar Jackson...

#619 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:35 AM

Yep, terrible play call. Was always fine going for it there.

I don't know, the passing game just feels so disjointed to me still. Rushed for nearly 200 yards.

#620 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:50 AM

Yep, terrible play call. Was always fine going for it there.

I don't know, the passing game just feels so disjointed to me still. Rushed for nearly 200 yards.

Yeah, other than a handful of plays (the one nice pass to Brown...maybe that's it) it just felt like a struggle, like it took a ton of work just to get a 6 yard completion. The tackles allowed 19 pressures I think is what I saw.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=