623 replies to this topic

#581 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:39 PM

Wink's "could be special" defense gave up 435 yards passing, the third most in the past 15 years of MNF. 

#582 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:47 PM

I've been harping on the secondary ever since Peters went down, and I think that Westry looks like he might fit in as a decent cover corner to soften the blow of losing Peters, but other than that, nothing I saw today has allayed my fears in the least bit.  Plus, everyone else has covered the cover-0 blitz ad nauseum, but I'd like to add that it was a gamble with a healthy secondary.  The fact that he'd try it with Peters out and trust Averett in single coverage is just lunacy.  Our best defensive plays came on cover-2 or cover-1 with a single blitzer.  In one case Oweh blew up the play on a standard rush, and I think in the other Houston blew it up sending a single blitzer.  We forced Carr into tight throws that almost resulted in 2 picks in the first half.  We weren't holding Waller down forever, and he chunked us on some of those same plays, but at least we didn't give up bombs.

#583 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 12:02 AM

Seemed like pretty stereotypical prime time Ravens.

#584 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 12:06 AM

The disheartening part was Vegas didnt really want it more. They didnt play good football. Thats kind of the red flag. An 8 win team on paper played like an 8 win team and it was enough. That wouldnt have happened in '19 or '20

That's the point I was making.  The Raiders made so many mistakes and missed so many opportunities that it is really hard to believe they won that game.  Carr missed two wide open receivers that should have been TDs in the first half.  The Raven's offense was compromised, but that was kind of expected.  The Raven's defense crapped big time against a team that was totally making mistakes to lose the game.  

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#585 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 12:20 AM

This defense is bad. There's no other word for it.

Next week is practically an auto-L. It will be an uphill climb to the playoffs.

#586 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,652 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 12:30 AM

This defense is bad. There's no other word for it.

Next week is practically an auto-L. It will be an uphill climb to the playoffs.

Yeah, they ain't making the playoffs.

Almost be better to just have an atrocious year and stockpile high picks.

OL and DL need totally rebuilt.

#587 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:06 AM

DL can't pressure and OL can't pass block.  Sounds familiar.

#588 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:22 AM

Finally.....How many times do the Ravens get a 14-0 lead and lose the game?  That's a big red flag right there.  

They’ve been 81-0 since 2004 (when holding a two TD lead), and this was the first time they blew that size of a lead under Harbaugh.

PFT

• Mike in STL and cprenegade like this

#589 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:36 AM

They’ve been 81-0 since 2004 (when holding a two TD lead), and this was the first time they blew that size of a lead under Harbaugh.

PFT

Haven't they done it at least twice under Harbaugh in the playoffs? At PIT and at NE? I'm 98% sure of that. Plus nearly blowing a 22 point lead in the Superbowl.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#590 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 September 2021 - 06:56 AM

Lamar didn't have a good game by any stretch, but geez, you're asking a defense in the fourth quarter, on two separate occasions, to not give up any points after Lamar led what should have been a GW drive. This felt like a 2016 Steelers game. Yikes.

430 yards? CARR???

#591 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:06 AM

Lots of things to criticize, but Andrews' drop is the one I'm thinking about the most this morning.  What's the opposite of clutch?  I don't think he chokes, but it seems like all of his mistakes come at critical moments.

• Mashed Potatoes and 1970 like this

#592 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:08 AM

Just watched the low lights....the last three plays I saw were especially infuriating.  First Andrews drops a pass that would have been a first down and kept the OT drive going and would have put them only a couple of first downs within Tucker's range to end the game.  Jackson's fumble of course after that and on the game winning TD, Humphrey just completely gave up on the play.  WTF?  Didn't even try to make a effort to maybe at least leap up and knock the ball away or possibly get to the receiver and keep him in play.  Would have been a chip shot FG but at least you have a chance to block it or have the kicker shank one.  And how the hell does a receiver get that open anyway?  Did Wink send everyone and the kitchen sink?  Just an ugly loss to a mediocre team that will be lucky to win 8 games.  Mahomes is probably being fitted for a Depends as he wets himself in anticipation of 500+ yards Sunday night. 

#593 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:12 AM

Football is a funny game. KC probably doesnt destroy us next week. Everybody expects a loss at this point so its probably the one time we'll get them

No chance.

#594 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:19 AM

Lots of things to criticize, but Andrews' drop is the one I'm thinking about the most this morning. What's the opposite of clutch? I don't think he chokes, but it seems like all of his mistakes come at critical moments.

Between him and Brown, it seems like they always find a way to shrink in the biggest moments.

For me I have to agree with Mike, why the hell did they eliminate Williams from the 2nd half game plan?! Watching Murray lumber for 1 yard gains was so frustrating to watch. Especially after a younger back showed a ton of explosion and play making ability. For me, they players failed to make plays, but the coaches are just as much at fault.

No Williams in the 2nd half. Cover 1 and 0 with Westry and Averrett as your CBs. A lot of blame to pass around in this one. In the end, I don't think the Ravens are as good as everyone though after their rash of injuries, and the Raiders are a little better than a lot of people may think.

#595 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:21 AM

Was Williams missing any blocks?  I don't recall any and the Raiders weren't blitzing much, but that's about the only plausible explanation I can think of.  Or perhaps he tweaked something?

#596 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:29 AM

Gotta love calling 8 rushes for your RB's the entire 2nd half when nursing a lead.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#597 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:08 AM

Haven't they done it at least twice under Harbaugh in the playoffs? At PIT and at NE? I'm 98% sure of that. Plus nearly blowing a 22 point lead in the Superbowl.

They blew two, 14 point leads in the one Pats playoff game. I guess the 81-0 is regular season only.

@BSLMikeRandall

#598 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:10 AM

OL and DL still weak. Villanueva was a wet paper bag. Couldn't pressure Carr consistently with the blitz. Yikes.

Just imagine that happening against KC.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#599 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:11 AM

They blew two, 14 point leads in the one Pats playoff game. I guess the 81-0 is regular season only.

They were up 14 at halftime in Pittsburgh in 2011 (2010 season).

• Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#600 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:11 AM

Agreed. Regular season only. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=