• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 07:05 AM

Here's the list of all Free Agents after this season. 

https://www.spotrac....lb/free-agents/

Name who interests you most, that you believe you could obtain with no more than a 2 year deal.

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 07:37 AM

Can we use a source other than Spotrac for reference?  My crusade against Spotrac in favor of Cot's or MLBTR (or Overthecap for football) continues!

https://www.mlbtrade...ree-agents.html

• BSLChrisStoner and JordanKough like this

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:02 AM

Not sure on who I'd prioritize, but below are some guys that would feel like legit MLB players at some positions of need.  Didn't list RP because with a 2-year deal you can get basically anyone except for the absolute top-level closers.  All the players, but especially the SP, are going to be uninspiring at this price point.  But the odds of getting MLB caliber performance from these types is much higher than from guys like Lopez and Harvey and Franco and Ruiz.

IF: Starlin Castro, Jonathan Villar, Eduardo Escobar, Josh Harrison, Kyle Seager

SP: Brett Anderson, Jon Gray ($$$), Andrew Heaney, Michael Pineda, Alex Wood

C, 1B, DH, LF, RF, CF are well enough established with viable options or young guys who we want to see that I don't think we need to fill them with mediocre vets.  The pitching staff is basically empty aside from Means, so lots of room to add there.  I'd like to get two more reliable SP at the absolute minimum, three would be better.  That still leaves a 5th spot open for a younger guy and there will be plenty of additional starts needed to be made beyond those 5 guys, so I have no concerns of blocking anyone we'll want to see.

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:26 AM

2 or 3 SP. Don't care who as most anybody on that list would be better than most anything we currently have not named Means.

• bmore_ken likes this

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:30 AM

A non tender casuality is the most likely realistic target on a 1 or 2 year deal. Id give Greinke, Morton,Verlander deals to lead a staff of young guys. Aint gonna happen though. A little more realistically youre looking at a reunion with Cobb,Duffy, Davies, Heaney, Matz. A guy like Eduardo Rodriguez is interesting and dont know how hes viewed considering his health but I suspect hes not a 1 or 2 yr guy. Numerous RP targets you could target on 1 and 2 yr deals. 

Offensively I wouldnt be looking to do much on short deals. Idealy Correa is the target on a big long term deal butnot realistic. Igleasias or Simmons to lock up SS for a yr. Maybe Eduardo Escobar at  3b. Left side of the Inf is where Id be looking. Give Urias, Mateo, Vavra, Bannon shots at 2b. OF,1B, DH, C is nt a need.

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:55 AM

Can we use a source other than Spotrac for reference?  My crusade against Spotrac in favor of Cot's or MLBTR (or Overthecap for football) continues!

https://www.mlbtrade...ree-agents.html

Knew this post was coming as soon as Stoner linked Spotrac

• Mackus likes this

#7 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:06 AM

Since Molina was extended, I wouldn't mind Wilson Ramos who could be had for league minimum, bridge the gap, back up Adley. 

Already mentioned some others. Matt Carpenter, Andrew Heaney, Eduardo Rodriguez. 

I've been trying to bone up on some of the statcast stuff pertaining to spin. I still don't understand "active spin", but the ones with high active spin, are the better pitchers in the league. In 2019 Rich Hill had 100% active spin on his curve ball. Justin Verlander had 98.5% active spin on his fastball. This year, Gerrit Cole is above 98% in FB, CU and sinker. Andrew Heaney is above 99% in FB and CU. Adam Wainwright is 97.1% on his curve ball, could be a reason he looks like he's found the fountain of youth. Aaron Nola, Nick Pivetta, Tyler Anderson are a couple more with three pitches over 90% active spin. 

Anyway, Hill at age 41 is still doing it, definitely in 1 year territory. Tyler Anderson is 31 and the former 1st round pick may be finding something here. Mariners traded for him. Good K/BB ratio. 2/$14M seems right. 

O's need to add 3 SPs, IMO. If you are building now, the days of trotting out Eshleman types has to be over. Rotation should be Means, 3 new SPs (Heaney, Anderson, Hill for example) and the 5th spot can be battled for by the youth.

• Mike B likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:32 AM

Here's the list of all Free Agents after this season. 

https://www.spotrac....lb/free-agents/

Name who interests you most, that you believe you could obtain with no more than a 2 year deal.

I have been pushing for Verlander.  I would not go more than 2/32 though.  

I also like the idea of Kyle Seager.  Maybe 2/24.

Also Michael Pineada  2 years 15 M

Relievers

Old friend Michael Givens who has had a good year in Colorado.

One year 5 M.

@mikeghg

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:33 AM

Not sure on who I'd prioritize, but below are some guys that would feel like legit MLB players at some positions of need.  Didn't list RP because with a 2-year deal you can get basically anyone except for the absolute top-level closers.  All the players, but especially the SP, are going to be uninspiring at this price point.  But the odds of getting MLB caliber performance from these types is much higher than from guys like Lopez and Harvey and Franco and Ruiz.

IF: Starlin Castro, Jonathan Villar, Eduardo Escobar, Josh Harrison, Kyle Seager

SP: Brett Anderson, Jon Gray ($$$), Andrew Heaney, Michael Pineda, Alex Wood

C, 1B, DH, LF, RF, CF are well enough established with viable options or young guys who we want to see that I don't think we need to fill them with mediocre vets.  The pitching staff is basically empty aside from Means, so lots of room to add there.  I'd like to get two more reliable SP at the absolute minimum, three would be better.  That still leaves a 5th spot open for a younger guy and there will be plenty of additional starts needed to be made beyond those 5 guys, so I have no concerns of blocking anyone we'll want to see.

I like the idea of Harrison.

@mikeghg

#10 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 August 2021 - 03:42 PM

Kyle Seager - 2/28

Michael Pineda - 2/16

Zach Davies - 2/20

Martin Maldonado - 1/5

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 03:48 PM

Sea has a 15 mil team option on Seager. We'll see if he's even available. Hitting under .200 but 30 bombs and .750 OPS. Career lifer in Sea so I could see them picking it up
  • BobPhelan likes this

#12 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 August 2021 - 04:47 PM

Sea has a 15 mil team option on Seager. We'll see if he's even available. Hitting under .200 but 30 bombs and .750 OPS. Career lifer in Sea so I could see them picking it up

Very true. 

If that is the case then I will say Eduardo Escobar for 2/15.

#13 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 27 August 2021 - 05:58 PM

I still don't understand "active spin", ...

Not that this is the place for it....but active spin is sometimes called true spin also.  It's basically the % of spin in the direction of movement you are trying to achieve.  Spin is just the rpm of the pitch.  Think of it like a force diagram.  If I'm pulling something at an angle, not all of my force is in the direction of movement, some of it is being used (wasted) in a direction other than the direction of movement.  So if you have great spin rates, but they aren't all in the direction of movement, the pitch may not be moving as much as you're hoping based on the actual spin.  

• Mike in STL likes this

#14 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 27 August 2021 - 06:13 PM

Everyone talking about Kyle Seager is funny.  We could have had him every year since 2018.

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 06:24 PM

Everyone talking about Kyle Seager is funny. We could have had him every year since 2018.

Now how would you know that as a fact considering he's been under contract. Also there is a reason why its a 1 yr deal thread. No one wanted to be commited to him for 19+ mil per over the last 4 years.

#16 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 27 August 2021 - 06:28 PM

Now how would you know that as a fact considering he's been under contract. Also there is a reason why its a 1 yr deal thread. No one wanted to be committed to him for 19+ mil per over the last 4 years.

You realize you just answered your own question, right?  

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 06:33 PM

You realize you just answered your own question, right?

Stop stating it as fact. Are you sure he doesnt have a no trade clause? Would Sea find another deal out of respect if he said he doesnt want to play here. There are potential variables you don't know about but you state things as fact and then bitch when the Os dont make moves that may not even be available
  • bmore_ken likes this

#18 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 27 August 2021 - 07:09 PM

Stop stating it as fact. Are you sure he doesn't have a no trade clause? Would Sea find another deal out of respect if he said he doesn't want to play here. There are potential variables you don't know about but you state things as fact and then bitch when the O's don't make moves that may not even be available

Not sure where you think I'm bitching about stuff.  I know you are looking for someplace to hide in this (every) discussion and that's fine.

You need to believe there's nothing they can do, because if there is something they can do then the only small remaining piece of what you think gets crushed with the rest of your opinion.  It doesn't matter what is suggested, your 'break down' is "nothing can happen". 

All of these discussions are about the Orioles doing something.  I think they'll continue to move backwards in payroll.  We'll see. 

They could be a better team with a lesser payroll next year, but it will have nothing to do with rebuilding and the roster isn't justified by the process.  That answer is already in the books.

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 07:11 PM

The biggest broken record Ive ever heard
  • bmore_ken likes this

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 07:21 PM

All good dude. Youre entilted to your opinions as whacky as they are at times. Im going back to ignoring most of your posts. Unless they're under 200 words. Then maybe, but thats pretty rare.
  • bmore_ken likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=