304 replies to this topic

#61 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 04:20 PM

I think it will come down to if Stone and/or Washington or Stephens or one of those other DBs can fill the ST role as a gunner that Hill was filling. 

Williams has proven to be a good pass blocker so if they need him to be the up man on a punt. That works for me, too. 

I don't want to understate Hill's role on ST here at all, but I do at the same time think it's a bit overstated here, too. 

I agree though, Biggsy, gonna be some tough decisions coming down the pike.

#62 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 04:51 PM

I think it will come down to if Stone and/or Washington or Stephens or one of those other DBs can fill the ST role as a gunner that Hill was filling.

Williams has proven to be a good pass blocker so if they need him to be the up man on a punt. That works for me, too.

I don't want to understate Hill's role on ST here at all, but I do at the same time think it's a bit overstated here, too.

I agree though, Biggsy, gonna be some tough decisions coming down the pike.

The more I see the more I'm convinced you might be right. Williams has had his reps increased a lot. Coaches really trying to get a good look at him. Doesn't bode well for Hill if Williams keeps impressing. I heard he's looked great in pass protection against the Panthers, even has had a pancake or 2.

#63 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 07:58 PM

So we might have to get creative with setting the 53 man, putting some guys on the practice squad and protecting them; then IR guys on the 53 man, then elevate guys from the PS. Does that sound about right?

Pretty much. Extremely fluid situation. I could see if no one goes to IR, then the four being protected each week being guys at important positions with a little experience. McSorley, Stone, Ferguson, Schofield.

Seems like a certainty that Bateman will start on IR, eligible to return in 3 games. Assuming Proche and Boykin are both on the 53-man when Bateman is IR’d, it will be interesting to see what shakes out when Bateman returns if the WR group is fully healthy.

Figure with a 16 man PS, that’s 69 players total, it’s a 53 man roster, but really 57 when you get to lock 4 PS guys in.
@BSLMikeRandall

#64 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 20 August 2021 - 12:41 PM

I wonder if the new practice squad rules will lead to teams only keeping 2 QBs on the 53 man and keeping a 3rd QB on the PS and protect him.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#65 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 12:31 AM

Backup punter Johnny Townsend was waived earlier in the week. Certain that L.J. Fort gets put on IR with the ACL. Three more cuts to come before Tuesday at 4:00. Kristian Welch, all of sudden, may have a 53-man spot. Definitely if Otaro Alaka stays on PUP, or moved to IR as one of the roster cuts. 

The last two WR they brought in, Dereus, and Mariner, seem like obvious choices. But the WR group is so thin I wonder if they will use them to get through this last preseason game.

Someone might get cut one week earlier than they wanted them to. Kicker Jake Verity maybe? I think if they let go of an O-lineman, they still have eight men that can play the last PS game without needing starters to play. Greg Mancz?

Don't think any TEs will get cut while Andrews may sit the last game, and Boyle remains on PUP.

Bahar probably has to stay on while McSorley is out. 

Defense seems too thin to cut from with the starting DTs likely not suiting up for the last game. The guys remaining at the other positions they probably want to keep on the practice squad. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#66 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 08:56 AM

Rams may lose another RB to injury. Not sure what they would offer for Hill .

#67 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 09:57 AM

Hill has an ankle sprain that, as usual during camp is deemed "not serious". I think Williams has done enough to earn a spot on the team though. Hill hasn't offered much, so it'd probably be some kind of conditional pick. The Ravens are losing a 7th round pick to the Jags if Josh Oliver makes the team, which it looks like he will. Maybe Hill could fetch a 6th round pick if he meets some kind of benchmark. 

With the ability to place so many guys on the PS regardless of service time, and lock four of them in, Hill, and McCrary for that matter could definitely be PS guys, with Hill locked in for depth purposes. Promoted to to 53 man if one of the four ahead of him goes down. 

On the other hand, the Ravens kept 4 RBs on the 53-man last year. I'm finding it's going to take a lot of thought and creativity to get down to 53 guys, 16 PS guys, and 4 of those you don't want poached. Also depends on the order of operations. Picking your 53. Assigning some of them an injury designation, moving someone up from the PS to the 53 man, locking in your 4 protected guys after that? Not really sure what the order is, or if you lock in four guys when you set the roster after final cuts, or if everyone is poachable and you lock in four guys when that first Tuesday before a game comes.  

• makoman likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#68 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,582 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 10:35 AM

They'd offer nothing because Hill is a JAG. There will be some RBs cut for roster reasons who impressed during the preseason. Ravens McCrary may be one of them.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#69 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 August 2021 - 11:11 AM

Probably nothing,  I am not sure Hill has been given a chance to show what he can do, so maybe the best thing for him is to be claimed by someone who really needs a back.

@mikeghg

#70 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:13 PM

Backup punter Johnny Townsend was waived earlier in the week. Certain that L.J. Fort gets put on IR with the ACL. Three more cuts to come before Tuesday at 4:00. Kristian Welch, all of sudden, may have a 53-man spot. Definitely if Otaro Alaka stays on PUP, or moved to IR as one of the roster cuts. 

The last two WR they brought in, Dereus, and Mariner, seem like obvious choices. But the WR group is so thin I wonder if they will use them to get through this last preseason game.

Someone might get cut one week earlier than they wanted them to. Kicker Jake Verity maybe? I think if they let go of an O-lineman, they still have eight men that can play the last PS game without needing starters to play. Greg Mancz?

Don't think any TEs will get cut while Andrews may sit the last game, and Boyle remains on PUP.

Bahar probably has to stay on while McSorley is out. 

Defense seems too thin to cut from with the starting DTs likely not suiting up for the last game. The guys remaining at the other positions they probably want to keep on the practice squad. 

Per Jeff Z, Fort to IR, then Dereus, Jordan Richards, and Andre Smith are gone. He says that's 81 and need one more by tomorrow at 4.

#71 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:18 PM

Per Jeff Z, Fort to IR, then Dereus, Jordan Richards, and Andre Smith are gone. He says that's 81 and need one more by tomorrow at 4.

I'm thinking there's a solid chance that we go outside the organization for some help at tackle.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#72 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:25 PM

I'm thinking there's a solid chance that we go outside the organization for some help at tackle.

I am sure they have Ricky Wagner's number.

I thought Villanueva looked okay Saturday.  He could be the swing tackle

@mikeghg

#73 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:26 PM

It is interesting that they are cutting the veterans early.  The Ravens are giving them a chance to catch on elsewhere.

@mikeghg

#74 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:55 PM

I thought Villanueva looked okay Saturday.  He could be the swing tackle

AV is the starting RT, I think, without any questions. Or do you mean swing if Stanley goes down? Still need a swing guy to step in at RT. 

#75 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:16 PM

A little suprised at Richards. Harbaugh praised his ST play the end of last year, and they offered him a little contract. Thought for sure they'd want to keep him at least on the PS.

@BSLMikeRandall

#76 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 05:54 PM

A little suprised at Richards. Harbaugh praised his ST play the end of last year, and they offered him a little contract. Thought for sure they'd want to keep him at least on the PS.

I don't think Richards would play on a PS. With his number of years of NFL experience, probably willing to wait for a gig, than play for $9k a week. 

#77 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 08:14 PM

I don't think Richards would play on a PS. With his number of years of NFL experience, probably willing to wait for a gig, than play for $9k a week.

Yeah. There may be a level of professional courtesy there between staff and players.
@BSLMikeRandall

#78 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 August 2021 - 09:10 PM

AV is the starting RT, I think, without any questions. Or do you mean swing if Stanley goes down? Still need a swing guy to step in at RT. 

Yes, AV is definitely the RT, but if Stanley has to sit out, he could make the switch and someone like a Ricky Wagner could start at RT.

That said, they may think that is Phillips.

@mikeghg

#79 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 05:41 AM

Probably nothing,  I am not sure Hill has been given a chance to show what he can do, so maybe the best thing for him is to be claimed by someone who really needs a back.

I'm thinking 3rd down back & ST.

#80 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 05:42 AM

Yes, AV is definitely the RT, but if Stanley has to sit out, he could make the switch and someone like a Ricky Wagner could start at RT.

That said, they may think that is Phillips.

They've been playing Mekari at tackle in the games so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=