#162 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,395 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 June 2024 - 06:49 PM

Thoughts? It would be too negative toward the FO.

#163 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,559 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 07:11 PM

Yup. Just brutal to not go after another SP knowing Means, Bradish, and Wells were damaged goods.

#164 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 07:11 PM

BSL: Bradish done, thoughts
https://baltimorespo...e-for-the-year/

I think most of us on this board thought this was coming when we got the news back in January. Hindsight is 20/20 but he should have had the surgery then but they chose to hope for a miracle. Elias has no choice now but to make some big time moves. We've lost 3 starters who who won't be back until 2026 in all probability.

#165 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,982 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 07:15 PM

He should not have had the surgery in January unless you're speaking with full hindsight which is obviously ridiculous.

#166 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,239 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 June 2024 - 07:18 PM

BSL:  Bradish done, thoughts

I wish all the best to Kyle with his rehab, and I’m going to miss watching him pitch, but the beat goes on.
Nobody is going to feel sorry for the Orioles.
Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and go do what is necessary to increase the odds for the ’24 O’s and beyond.

This is correct.  The only thing I'll say is I wouldn't announce it until I had something in my pocket.  

#167 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,985 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 07:27 PM

Least surprising development of the year. If only Elias saw this coming.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#168 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,239 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 June 2024 - 07:37 PM

I'm not beating them up for it.  You can't do everything.  Both Means and Bradish made it back and started.

It's a medical risk assessment.  The answers weren't clear for the current outcome.  Both players started.  Roster rules are what they are.

Whatever.  The GM isn't for Scouting or Player Development.  This is why you have a GM.  Get it done.

#169 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,985 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 08:12 PM

Smart organizations have contingency plans. Ours was hoping and praying Means and Bradish would be able to pitch 7/8 of a season. Reminds me of the Beattie years when they hoped everything breaks right so we can finish .500.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#170 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,559 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 08:17 PM

Going into the year with no back up plans for Bradish and Means, knowing their elbows were hanging on by a thread, was poor planning.

Lucky for us, Irvin and Saurez have been way better than expected. I wouldn't count on that going forward.

#171 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 11:46 PM

Injuries happen. I don't see how you can have a Plan B for every what if that occurs during a season. As someone else pointed out, both Bradish and Means pitched this year and overall they did very well. Bradish was hitting 97-98 mph Friday in his last start against the Phillies.

Did the Braves have a contingency plan in place when Strider and Acuna were both lost for the season? Shit happens. Hell, the Yankees had to send Jahmai Jones to the plate tonight in the 10th in a crucial situation. Even $300 million doesn't always make your team whole.

• BobPhelan, BSLRoseKatz and makoman like this

#172 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 07:33 AM

Injuries happen. I don't see how you can have a Plan B for every what if that occurs during a season. As someone else pointed out, both Bradish and Means pitched this year and overall they did very well. Bradish was hitting 97-98 mph Friday in his last start against the Phillies.

Did the Braves have a contingency plan in place when Strider and Acuna were both lost for the season? Shit happens. Hell, the Yankees had to send Jahmai Jones to the plate tonight in the 10th in a crucial situation. Even $300 million doesn't always make your team whole.

Yeah they DID have backup plans. Irvin and Suarez were backup plans, even Wells was kinda a backup plan. You can’t have 8 #2 starters. You hope that if you throw numbers at it some of the questionable guys will stay healthy, unfortunately none did.

I wonder if even Burnes was a backup plan. Maybe they don’t make that deal if Bradish has a healthy offseason.

#173 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,982 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 07:52 AM

The backup plans that were reasonably priced that everybody wanted (myself included) have both been terrible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=