66 replies to this topic

#61 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:12 PM

Find the best curry house near where you're staying.  Don't be afraid of a vegetarian-only option.  Indian is the one cuisine where that doesn't automatically make it worse.

I haven't done much touristy stuff in London so can't offer many suggestions.  Don't waste half a day going to Stonehenge.

• mweb08 likes this

#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 December 2021 - 11:52 PM

Find the best curry house near where you're staying. Don't be afraid of a vegetarian-only option. Indian is the one cuisine where that doesn't automatically make it worse.

I haven't done much touristy stuff in London so can't offer many suggestions. Don't waste half a day going to Stonehenge.

We're big fans of Indian food so yes, we will have to do that.

#63 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 06:13 AM

I haven't been to Paris or Madrid, but I like Barcelona better than London.  Both are great cities and easily will entertain you for a week, but Barcelona is just a bit more different than America than London is.  Great Indian food in London, and British food gets a worse rap than it deserves, but it doesn't top the food in Barcelona which is one of the best eating places I've been.  

If you do Barcelona, take a bus or rent a car and go up the coast to Tossa de Mar for a couple days.

London is unique, you either hate it or you enjoy it.

Im okay with it, lots of stuff to do, if I lived in the city, pretty sure, it would grow old.

I havent been since 91, so, Im sure its changed alot.

There was a Chicago house of Beef, located down an alley and in the basement of some people. I probably wouldnt have found on my own, that was by far, the best meal in England, I had in 3+ years.

#64 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 08:42 AM

If it's your first time in London, I'd definitely recommend the hop on / hop off bus tour.  Great way to see the city, it stops at all the tourist sites, and it includes a boat trip either to or from the Tower of London.  Sure, it's kind of touristy, but you're a tourist.

And I think the Imperial War Museum is great, although my wife disagrees.

And check out walks.com - tons of interesting guided walks around London.

• mweb08 and Old Man like this

#65 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:02 PM

Been to London twice. If you are even remotely into wine, check out Gordon's Wine Bar. I hope it's open during COVID...it's a tiny wine and cheese bar that stretches back into some caves. Google some pics, see if it's for you.

Avoid the London Eye. It's expensive and you'll be crammed into a car with about 30 other tourists. Also don't go into the Tower Bridge. Climb to the top of St. Pauls. Make reservation for  the stuff you want to see: Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, museums, etc. Especially during COVID when they're limiting visitors.

I'll check back in with some Paris recommendations. But off the top of my head I recommend Les Papilles for dinner one night.

• mweb08 likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#66 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 02:46 PM

There's a new low-cost airline coming to BWI, and they fly internationally.

Low-cost airline PLAY, which operates flights between Iceland and Europe, is launching service in the U.S. next spring from Baltimore and Boston to European destinations.

Ticket sales open Thursday for inaugural daily flights to Europe from BWI Marshall Airport and from Boston’s Logan International Airport. Flights start April 20 from BWI to 22 destinations, including London, Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen, Dublin, Brussels and other cities, and May 11 from Boston.

The Reykjavík, Iceland-based company is offering an introductory special of $109 for departure tickets on roundtrip bookings to 11 destinations, including Berlin, Copenhagen, London, Paris and other cities. The deal is available through Dec. 24 on flights scheduled next year for May to June and August through October.

• mweb08 and NewMarketSean like this

#67 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 09:28 AM

Huh, I could do Iceland for my birthday in May for $798 roundtrip for two people. Not bad...

• Mike B likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=