66 replies to this topic

#41 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:23 AM

We saw it but didn't have a chance to go in.  It didn't open until 10:00 and the game was at 1, we just didn't think it would worthwhile for a few hours.  We were there right around 10:00 and literally no one was there.

I hear ya, I have family who visited there and was pretty impressed with it.

#42 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 July 2021 - 10:21 AM

Today's the day. Going to Disney and Universal!

Got back this past Friday.  All and all a great trip.  The kids had a blast the weather was pretty good and there were no major meltdowns!

Dang I'm getting old though, had to be careful what rides/experiences I could and couldn't do so I wouldn't feel sick.

• JeremyStrain and Mike B like this

#43 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 12 July 2021 - 02:27 PM

Jamaica vacation getting moved to December (passport issues). It's a lot more expensive but the weather will be better, at least.

I'm generally unhappy because I keep feeling like we keep putting these off, and eventually we'll miss out on these things forever. So I hope that this date stays intact. 

#44 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 02:31 PM

Jamaica vacation getting moved to December (passport issues). It's a lot more expensive but the weather will be better, at least.

I'm generally unhappy because I keep feeling like we keep putting these off, and eventually we'll miss out on these things forever. So I hope that this date stays intact. 

Its outside of hurricane season, too, right?

Rooting for you, that it works for you all.

#45 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 13 July 2021 - 09:51 AM

Its outside of hurricane season, too, right?

Rooting for you, that it works for you all.

It is. The vacation will definitely be more fun due to timing and the lack of hurricane season (and I'm perfectly fine eating the cost there).

• Old Man likes this

#46 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 09:55 AM

It is. The vacation will definitely be more fun due to timing and the lack of hurricane season (and I'm perfectly fine eating the cost there).

Sounds great.

Already looking ahead to the summer of 2021 and plan a real vacation, like we used to take. 

#47 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:04 AM

Going to Iceland today!

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, BSLMikeLowe and 4 others like this

#48 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 10:29 PM

Other than the weather not being ideal for much of the trip, Iceland was pretty great!
  • BSLChrisStoner and NewMarketSean like this

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 12:33 PM

Other than the weather not being ideal for much of the trip, Iceland was pretty great!

The best thing about Iceland is that the landscape is consistently between really good to astonishing. There are spots that are more naturally scenic than anywhere near here and it's just like ho hum keep it moving there (like you can't even pull over to take a pic) and the plethora of tremendous waterfalls is insane, again, with many being just something you drive past. This is the best waterfall (foss there) destination I've ever been to and waterfalls are my jam. 

One negative is the wildlife is generally lacking. It is great for whale watching (we were up close to a humpback feeding for a good half hour) and there's also good birding, but not too much else (reindeer and artic fox in spots but we didn't see them). There are though a ton of sheep and horses to view with the beautiful landscape as the backdrop. 

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,780 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:05 PM

Canadian borders are due to open up and my girls' passports showed up in time so we'll be able to go visit my wife's sister and her family in Kingston next week.  Assuming we don't screw up the completely non-trivial amount of bureaucratic paperwork and Covid testing that is needed to enter the country.

#51 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:36 PM

As I alluded in another thread, I returned to Northern Alaska this year for the third time. This time it was hiking in the Atigun Gorge onto the ANWR, and a day trip to Prudhoe Bay (and wading in the Arctic Ocean). Saw some moose, caribou, lots of waterfowl, and even a muskox (I haven't looked at my camera photos yet, but even with a 100mm lens I don't think I got close enough to the muskox to be able to discern what it is). In all my trips up there, I've yet to see a bear of any kind though....which is probably for the best.

51356108715_868335d028_z.jpg

51354349112_15758de474_z.jpg

51355320678_a697a68629_c.jpg

51356109155_7f94fc1f9d_c.jpg

• You Play to Win the Game, mweb08, DuffMan and 2 others like this

#52 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:44 PM

Great pictures, my son lives in Alaska and has seen bear in his own back yard. Eagle River, north of Anchorage.

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:54 PM

Great pictures, my son lives in Alaska and has seen bear in his own back yard. Eagle River, north of Anchorage.

I was in the Anchorage area in 2016. For those who live there I'm sure it's not at all uncommon to see bears, I just never have. On that trip I did see a huge bull moose chowing down in someone's garden.

14021563_10206728251305122_2483338275488

#54 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 01:36 PM

I was in the Anchorage area in 2016. For those who live there I'm sure it's not at all uncommon to see bears, I just never have. On that trip I did see a huge bull moose chowing down in someone's garden.

14021563_10206728251305122_2483338275488

My son said it wasnt unusual to see them down on the base there in Anchorage. He said cars that run into a Moose is not a pretty picture and far worse then hitting a deer, the amount of damage to your car.

#55 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 09:43 AM

Going to Hawaii in a month. Booked flights there rather impulsively over the weekend. Really hoping that we don't need to test to get there and back...that was a big reason we chose Hawaii in the first place.

• DuffMan likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#56 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 09:59 AM

Going to Hawaii in a month. Booked flights there rather impulsively over the weekend. Really hoping that we don't need to test to get there and back...that was a big reason we chose Hawaii in the first place.

Good luck, I love Hawaii, and cant wait to go back there. :)

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 04:53 PM

Hey, anyone have any advice on choosing between a trip to London/Paris or Madrid/Barcelona? This is for the week before Easter and probably the holiday itself.

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,780 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 04:57 PM

I haven't been to Paris or Madrid, but I like Barcelona better than London.  Both are great cities and easily will entertain you for a week, but Barcelona is just a bit more different than America than London is.  Great Indian food in London, and British food gets a worse rap than it deserves, but it doesn't top the food in Barcelona which is one of the best eating places I've been.  

If you do Barcelona, take a bus or rent a car and go up the coast to Tossa de Mar for a couple days.

• mweb08 likes this

#59 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:43 PM

A good buddy of mine operates both a wine bar and a craft brew pub out on Mallorca in the Balearic Isles off Spain. I haven't been, but can't wait to get out there. 

#60 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:47 PM

Hey, anyone have any advice on choosing between a trip to London/Paris or Madrid/Barcelona? This is for the week before Easter and probably the holiday itself.

Thanks for the advice Mac, but we're going to London and Paris for a week. 

We figure this is a great little European sampler and then we can do a longer trip including Spain at a future point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=