2525 replies to this topic

#1061 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:17 PM

Careful. Some think that your body is the possession of the government and your employer, and they should be allowed to force you to do whatever they want to it as long as it's deemed for the greater good.

I thought you didn’t want to talk about this anymore.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#1062 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:25 PM

What does any of that clap trap have to with getting injected with something, you're not sure you want in your body for whatever the reason, while for whatever reason, completely ignoring what the risk of covid itself is? Try again.

FTFY.

Seriously, people like you are complete morons. I'm sick of it.
  • CantonJester likes this

#1063 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:27 PM

So either sit at home and eat cheetos until you're poor and eventually homeless. Or get the shot and make millions playing a kids game. They may not be holding him down and putting a needle in his arm, but given the options you're offering, it's pretty much the same thing.

To enjoy the fruits of a robust civilization, you have to also be a responsible member of it. This isn't complicated. He does have a choice, it's a clear one. Be a part of society, or don't.

All this tough guy talk from the anti vaxers, but then when it's required they act like they don't have a choice. They do, leave. Retire. Live with it. That's the choice. Not so tough a guy now though, right? Amazing how that works.
  • CantonJester and makoman like this

#1064 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:29 PM

I thought you didn’t want to talk about this anymore.

I really don't. But here it is, popping up again.

#1065 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:32 PM

The likely outcome here is that he has built-in immunity for some time, and the coaches/players eventually convince him to get the vaccine out of pure pragmatism. FDA will have likely approved it since then, which will help. The fact that the NFL is constructed as it is will also help, as he could literally cost his team games when the season winds down.

He cannot get the vaccine now, so for now, the argument is moot. We can't argue about this forever (OR CAN WE???). The ball is in the court of Campbell and others that plan on meeting with him, and as of now, he can't cost them games.

The FDA approval thing is such a ginormous cop out. And you have to love the irony of people who refuse to do what they're told (get the vaccine) until the FDA tells them to do it. Get outta here with that garbage. I don't buy that the FDA approval is going to do much at all to move the needle. We need stronger tactics.
  • Mike in STL and CantonJester like this

#1066 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:39 PM

The FDA approval thing is such a ginormous cop out. And you have to love the irony of people who refuse to do what they're told (get the vaccine) until the FDA tells them to do it. Get outta here with that garbage. I don't buy that the FDA approval is going to do much at all to move the needle. We need stronger tactics.

It takes time. Not everyone moves at the same pace and almost everyone to some extent is anxious about changes and new things. Some will never ever want to get it but there are still a lot of people who are just anxious about it. They dont know. Even if they are currently rationalizing not getting it now for some other reason.

#1067 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:42 PM

The likely outcome here is that he has built-in immunity for some time, and the coaches/players eventually convince him to get the vaccine out of pure pragmatism. FDA will have likely approved it since then, which will help. The fact that the NFL is constructed as it is will also help, as he could literally cost his team games when the season winds down.

He cannot get the vaccine now, so for now, the argument is moot. We can't argue about this forever (OR CAN WE???). The ball is in the court of Campbell and others that plan on meeting with him, and as of now, he can't cost them games.

To be completely fair, he never said that he wasn't going to get vaccinated. He clearly stated that he would confer with team doctors, etc. Further, any argument for him to get vaccinated ( and anyone else who is not vaccinated for that matter) will be strengthened by full FDA approval. My intention is to not post about Jackson's vaccination status any more.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1068 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:48 PM

It takes time. Not everyone moves at the same pace and almost everyone to some extent is anxious about changes and new things. Some will never ever want to get it but there are still a lot of people who are just anxious about it. They dont know. Even if they are currently rationalizing not getting it now for some other reason.

How anyone could be less anxious about covid itself than the vaccine is just beyond reason. Also, I know some of these people. They have no problem eating fast food, but are smarter than doctors and science about the vaccine. Some adults are anything but and clearly need decisions to be made for them.

#1069 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:49 PM

I and you know it's a cop-out, but some people need that extra assurance. I can't question the methods if it gets us to the goal, which, for some people (that I personally know) I think it will. 

Personally, the NFL guilting/strong-arming people into doing it feels like the smartest move to me.

• DuffMan likes this

#1070 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:54 PM

To be completely fair, he never said that he wasn't going to get vaccinated. He clearly stated that he would confer with team doctors, etc. Further, any argument for him to get vaccinated ( and anyone else who is not vaccinated for that matter) will be strengthened by full FDA approval. My intention is to not post about Jackson's vaccination status any more.

Agreed, but I'm looking at this at its absolute most negative scenario (ie he's saying what he's gonna say to get us off his back, and ultimately is choosing not to do it). Either way, the team has, say, 90 days to convince him that getting the vaccine is in the best interests of himself, his checkbook, and the organization. I like their chances.

#1071 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:01 PM

If he tests positive again, it's a mandatory, minimum of 10 days in quarantine, so likely two games.  He's probably protected for the next few months, but this kind of seems like a time bomb for later in the season.  Seems like it would be worth discussing.

#1072 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:29 PM

If he tests positive again, it's a mandatory, minimum of 10 days in quarantine, so likely two games. He's probably protected for the next few months, but this kind of seems like a time bomb for later in the season. Seems like it would be worth discussing.

In 3 months this will be a legitimate topic. At this point it's just noise. Unless things have changed he can't qualify for the vaccine for 3 months. So right in the middle of the playoff push, he could ultimately torpedo the Ravens hopes if he contracts it again. Which honestly, now, is very likely. Seeing how vaccinated individuals are allowed to go out and do as they please, but can still contract and spread the virus. Last year everyone had the same rules and no one was allowed outside of the "bubble". I think it's a legitimate Ravens topic. Calling people stupid, idiotic, ect and expressing personal feelings on the virus or vaccine is NOT a legitimate Ravens topic.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#1073 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:39 PM

Peoples Ravens views get called stupid or idiotic all the time in here, so should there covid views if they are. Get over it. I've been clear I'd rather it not be discussed at all at this point, because this is what happens. I've mostly abstained, until these past few hours.

#1074 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 05:03 PM

So either sit at home and eat cheetos until you're poor and eventually homeless. Or get the shot and make millions playing a kids game. They may not be holding him down and putting a needle in his arm, but given the options you're offering, it's pretty much the same thing.

There are plenty of places he can work without a vaccination, just like there are plenty of ways to get an education other than public school. Frankly, I don't care. His "personal decision" has very real health impacts on those around him and may cost his employer and his fellow teammates a chance at a championship. He can weigh the pros and cons and decide for himself. I'll cry no tears over people who refuse vaccination and lose privileges to do things they like as a result.

#1075 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 05:09 PM

What does any of that clap trap have to with getting injected with something, you're not sure you want in your body for whatever the reason is? Try again.

It has to do with the fact that he's an idiot if he's afraid of the health consequences of the vaccine, but not Covid itself or the dangers of professional football. His idiocy has a very real chance of costing his team games at best, and killing someone at worst. People's "personal choices" don't shield them from basic human decency. I could make the personal choice to be blitzed out of my mind 24/7, and nobody can tell me anything about it because it's my body and I decide what goes in it. Guess what is going to happen if I get behind a wheel? Think anyone will care about my personal choices if I kill them?

No vaccine in human history has had had widespread negative reactions. He plays a game where he can go braindead on any given play (though from his decision making, maybe he's already there). This "personal choice" excuse doesn't hold water.
  • Mike in STL and BSLRoseKatz like this

#1076 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 05:09 PM

FTFY.

Seriously, people like you are complete morons. I'm sick of it.

Nailed it.

#1077 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 05:10 PM

To enjoy the fruits of a robust civilization, you have to also be a responsible member of it. This isn't complicated. He does have a choice, it's a clear one. Be a part of society, or don't.

All this tough guy talk from the anti vaxers, but then when it's required they act like they don't have a choice. They do, leave. Retire. Live with it. That's the choice. Not so tough a guy now though, right? Amazing how that works.

Nailed it again.

#1078 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 05:10 PM

3 for 3.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1079 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 05:18 PM

This discussion is just a very micro example of the discussions everywhere that we're all having. 

It is Ravens related here with Jackson, so the discussion does belong. 

We're all tired from our own personal experiences these last 18 months. I know I'm personally fried, and certainly have my strong opinions. 

My sense - and maybe I'm wrong - is that nobody is going to change any opinion they currently have. 

So you can continue to post about it, and get more ticked off that the other side isn't changing their opinion....  or you can just be happy that today Stanley is back practicing. 

To be 100% clear here, I'm not telling you not to discuss this.  Jackson is our best and most important player, and the discussion is completely relevant. I'm just suggesting that opinions aren't likely to be swayed, so decide for yourself if you want to continue to discuss it. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1080 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 August 2021 - 05:22 PM

I'm no longer going to discuss it. Can't wait for actual real football games.
  • PrimeTime likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=