#581 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,657 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 June 2021 - 10:44 AM

My thoughts exactly. The floor on Oweh is a freak athlete who was very good against the run. If Wink can scheme him into some free runs at the QB, he could put up some monster numbers.

I really like ths speed we have accumulated on defefense.  Our linebackers/edge guys all can really run.  I think Wink may have some new looks to show us.

• ChaosLex likes this
@mikeghg

#582 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 12:45 PM

Biggsy still bagging on Judon and he's gone :).

Can't help myself. 🤣
  • JordanKough likes this

#583 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 12:49 PM

Though, I think there is a legitimate chance that we beat Tennessee in the playoff game two years ago if Judon wraps up on that 3rd down and brings Henry down instead he turns it into like a 40+ yard gain, as I recall (could be wrong). 

It will be nice to have a fierce run down edge setter in there in some of those situations. Excited for Oweh. 

#584 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:31 PM

https://www.google.c...us?platform=amp

Bisciotti donates a million each to Coppin St, Morgan St, Bowie St and UMES in Ozzie's name. Will fund scholarships for 80 kids from city schools over the next 4 years.
  • BSLChrisStoner, The Epic, DuffMan and 3 others like this

#585 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:40 PM

Biggsy still bagging on Judon and he's gone :)

Notice how nice I tried to be? :) That was some professional, classy stuff from yours truly, huh. :) :) :)

• JordanKough likes this

#586 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:42 PM

Surprised nobody pushed back on saying this was our most talented roster since 2011. Thought it might've been a hot take. But really, this is a very well rounded roster, especially factoring in continuity. The Browns for instance have a ton of new pieces.

#587 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:05 PM

You know, it's one of those weird things, where the FA part of the year kind of went perfectly. We were able to add in all the right spots even though we saw big time exits at OT and EDGE. We brought in a lot of talent in those spots. 

I guess it's unproven talent, which is, for those purposes useless. So it's early but this team does feel improved to me. 

Ngakoue and Judon were paper talents that really didn't do a lot on the field, so I guess that's why I'm OK with replacing htem. And I think Brown Jr. was good but i think he benefitted from Lamar. I think we see a similar but probably not quite as good season from AV this year. 

Given those, we've upgraded at WR and G. And we've littered the team with a lot of depth and have a lot of guys that should contribute as 2nd and 3rd year players as they develop. So it's hard to argue against the talent statement when Lamar is the baseline. 

• PrimeTime likes this

#588 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,636 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:27 PM

Surprised nobody pushed back on saying this was our most talented roster since 2011. Thought it might've been a hot take. But really, this is a very well rounded roster, especially factoring in continuity. The Browns for instance have a ton of new pieces.

Fair take. '11 was a more talented roster and better team than the '12 SB team. We will see how this year compares to the last two. The rookies have to prove themselves. You cant say that guys like Judon, Brown Jr, and Yannick werent sizeable losses and that guys like Ward, Cox, and Snead werent  relevant losses. The next guys up have to fill those roles first before they exceed them.

• Huddle It Up Films likes this

#589 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 07:35 AM

Balt Sun: How could the Ravens offense change in 2021? Greg Roman offered 3 potential new directions 

#590 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 07:46 AM

Balt Sun: Mike Preston: In a quick glimpse, Ravens have made strides in passing game

#591 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 09:27 AM

Fair take. '11 was a more talented roster and better team than the '12 SB team. We will see how this year compares to the last two. The rookies have to prove themselves. You cant say that guys like Judon, Brown Jr, and Yannick werent sizeable losses and that guys like Ward, Cox, and Snead werent  relevant losses. The next guys up have to fill those roles first before they exceed them.

I'm very close to agreeing word for word. Only difference is that I'm much more worried about losing Brown Jr than any of the others.

Opinions widely vary on Judon. But even if you like him a lot more than I do, we'd probably agree that the Ravens weren't getting home with a 4-man rush anyway and his run D was hot & cold. I think it's reasonable to think that the rookies could play to Judon & especially Yannick's level vs the run. Effort and discipline is more than half the battle in setting the Edge.

#592 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 09:40 AM

Wanted to share this because it should provide some good talking points and perspective. Also because I was very encouraged after putting this together. There are some decisions by Lamar that you can pick at and say he could've thrown it here or there. But at least to my eyes, he made a lot of good decisions to run and made a lot out of nothing.

In 17 games, Lamar scrambled 51 times (averaging exactly three per game). He rushed 121 times on designed runs. His other official rushes were kneel downs and fumble recoveries.

So here's what happened when Lamar scrambled on designed passing plays. I hope you enjoy it and tell me what you're seeing. I'm of the opinion that a stronger Oline and WRs will help a lot.

• makoman likes this

#593 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:25 PM

Wanted to share this because it should provide some good talking points and perspective. Also because I was very encouraged after putting this together. There are some decisions by Lamar that you can pick at and say he could've thrown it here or there. But at least to my eyes, he made a lot of good decisions to run and made a lot out of nothing.

In 17 games, Lamar scrambled 51 times (averaging exactly three per game). He rushed 121 times on designed runs. His other official rushes were kneel downs and fumble recoveries.

So here's what happened when Lamar scrambled on designed passing plays. I hope you enjoy it and tell me what you're seeing. I'm of the opinion that a stronger Oline and WRs will help a lot.

This is a pretty good video. My main takeaway is that Lamar seems to actively avoid the receiver in the flat. I counted at least 7 or 8 plays where that guy was open and he opted not to throw it there. On a couple of those plays I don't hold it against Lamar because the player in the flat was either Boyle or Ricard, but on a few of those plays it was Dobbins or Snead in the flat and Jackson ignored them.

On a related note, I think the receiver in the flat needs to make a more decisive stop and turn. A lot of times the guy in the flat does this sort of half-assed pull up while turning to look in the general vicinity of Lamar.
  • Huddle It Up Films likes this

#594 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:22 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens film study: Why Lamar Jackson needs another ‘viable weapon’ in the passing game

#595 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:41 AM

Heavy focus on the Ravens not checking down to running backs in the Bills game. Points out that analytically speaking, these are the least efficient passes in the game. The Ravens are an analytically heavy team. 

You also have LJ who can go the distance anytime he takes off running, which probably nets more yardage than checking down anyway. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#596 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:14 AM

Heavy focus on the Ravens not checking down to running backs in the Bills game. Points out that analytically speaking, these are the least efficient passes in the game. The Ravens are an analytically heavy team.

You also have LJ who can go the distance anytime he takes off running, which probably nets more yardage than checking down anyway.

Yeah. Pretty good summary. I would much rather Lamar take off with a lead blocker vs throwing to a RB who has to catch the ball clean, turn, then run.

I would say, I think the Ravens need to start implementing more screens on the outside though. Especially having Bateman now. Bateman excelled after the catch in college. He had a phenomenal 35% firsts contact tackle rate. Broke the first tackle attempt 48%, of the time, and broke 2 or more tackles 17% of the time. Let's get the ball in this man's hands on the outside with a couple of blockers. If teams want to leave the flat open, that would be a great answer.

#597 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 11:02 AM

Jackson did, Dobbins dropped the ball with room to run. Don't know if that became a trust issue the rest of the game.

#598 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 11:28 AM

Ravens have signed recently released Broncos OT Ja'wuan James to a 2-year deal for $9M.  He's out for all of 2021 having torn his achilles working out, the Broncos cut him without an injury settlement because the injury occurred off-site.  He's filing a greivance.

Haven't seen how much money is being paid out in 2021 and how much is guaranteed.  My guess is it's a small amount of both, but is a good backup plan for RT next year as Villanueva gets older.

• Mike in STL likes this

#599 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 11:52 AM

Reported as $500k guaranteed this year.  Minimum salary for a 6-year vet is $990k so they have to pay him at least that much if they keep him on the roster.  If the initial report of $9M total is accurate, that leaves just over $8M in 2022 salary if he makes the roster next year.

#600 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,657 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 June 2021 - 11:54 AM

Ravens have signed recently released Broncos OT Ja'wuan James to a 2-year deal for $9M.  He's out for all of 2021 having torn his achilles working out, the Broncos cut him without an injury settlement because the injury occurred off-site.  He's filing a greivance.

Haven't seen how much money is being paid out in 2021 and how much is guaranteed.  My guess is it's a small amount of both, but is a good backup plan for RT next year as Villanueva gets older.

I think the hit this year will be somewhere around 500 K.  This is an interesting signing.  He is a pretty good tackle, and maybe we get him at a discount for 22.

@mikeghg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=