828 replies to this topic

#801 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,990 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

You shouldn't be in a game thread if raw, spur of the moment reactions, are going to bug you. It's the nature of the beast.

The truth has finally been spoken.

#802 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

You shouldn't be in a game thread if raw, spur of the moment reactions, are going to bug you. It's the nature of the beast.

I mostly just gloss over the extreme ones.

I just wouldn't be proud to read my posts an hour later or whatever if they were of the ilk that Ricker Says used as examples.

#803 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

???
Explain.

Shack's posts.

#804 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,469 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

Which is why I've always avoided game threads in the past, and considered not having them here. However, I think the game thread posting here this year has been excellent. I've really enjoyed watching the games with the same group people day after day. Obviously emotions are higher now, but I do believe the distinction Ricker Says makes above is what should be expected. Just makes for better reading, and discussion from all.

#805 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

I mostly just gloss over the extreme ones.

I just wouldn't be proud to read my posts an hour later or whatever if they were of ilk that Ricker Says used as examples.

Yep. For the first year or so I was at the Hangout, I used to post crap like that. In all honesty, the Hangout (the good people there, like yourself and many others), helped me mature a ton as a baseball fan. Looking back at some of the crap I used to spew over there is pretty embarrassing. And it wasn't just game thread vitriol for me, it was really stupid stuff like touting how awesome Rodrigo Lopez was because he won 15 games in 2002, for example.

#806 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

I won't call you out anymore, just figured I would attempt an actual, sincere open dialogue about it. I do see where you're coming from.

I'm happy to discuss anything with you. You are sincere about it.

I can't help but have noticed that you virtually always get on my case whenever I say something in the game threads about [the thing we are talking about], while you are completely accepting of people who [do that behavior that I think is both disgusting and wussy]. Not saying you should or shouldn't, it's a free country, you can do what you want. It seems like an odd set of values to me, but I am in no way doubting your value system in general, you are obviously a good guy, it's just that one specific thing I don't understand. Why are you happy to have some clown come in and piss all over the team, but then get bothered when I point it out? Again, not saying you don't have a right to, just saying I don't understand that combination.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#807 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Just got home from the game. I'm sure someone probably mentioned this but I haven't looked back, so I'll say it anyway...

If Jones bunts Hardy over, Girardi walks Wieters and then you have Reynolds up with 1 out. I don't trust Reynolds in that situation to make contact to hit a fly ball deep enough. I think it was the right move, especially considering the IF'ers were all playing the bunt when Adam swung away on the first pitch.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@PeterDiLutis

#808 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

Which is why I've always avoided game threads in the past, and considered not having them here. However, I think the game thread posting here this year has been excellent. I've really enjoyed watching the games with the same group people day after day. Obviously emotions are higher now, but I do believe the distinction Ricker Says makes above is what should be expected. Just makes for better reading, and discussion from all.

Yeah, if there was a way to better articulate that, I'd make it a Game Thread rule, and as to not completely censor people's opinions, add an additional Game Day rant thread for the people who want to say things like, "GD you MF'er choker JJ, we've been waiting for this for 15 years and you Eff'd us all".

#809 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

Yep. For the first year or so I was at the Hangout, I used to post crap like that. In all honesty, the Hangout (the good people there, like yourself and many others), helped me mature a ton as a baseball fan. Looking back at some of the crap I used to spew over there is pretty embarrassing. And it wasn't just game thread vitriol for me, it was really stupid stuff like touting how awesome Rodrigo Lopez was because he won 15 games in 2002, for example.

In fairness to you, Rodrigo did have a couple of really good years for us. ;)

#810 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

I can't help but have noticed that you virtually always get on my case whenever I say something in the game threads about [the thing we are talking about], while you are completely accepting of people who [do that behavior that I think is both disgusting and wussy]. Not saying you should or shouldn't, it's a free country, you can do what you want. It seems like an odd set of values to me, but I am in no way doubting your value system in general, you are obviously a good guy, it's just that one specific thing I don't understand. Why are you happy to have some clown come in and piss all over the team, but then get bothered when I point it out? Again, not saying you don't have a right to, just saying I don't understand that combination.

That's where the disconnect is, I agree. I don't know, I can't articulate it too well. Just seems that I can let that go, but because I'm pretty emotional and feel on edge when bad stuff happens (even though I'm better at filtering it), I think that when I see you call out other O's fans it strikes a chord with me. You make a good point, if I can be so tolerant of the people who fly off the cuff, I should work on being more tolerant of you not tolerating them.

#811 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

In fairness to you, Rodrigo did have a couple of really good years for us. ;)

He sure did... but arguing from the standpoint of W/L is pretty poor, as I quickly learned (or, to be honest, as SG pointed out in a very polite way). :lol:

#812 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

He sure did... but arguing from the standpoint of W/L is pretty poor, as I quickly learned (or, to be honest, as SG pointed out in a very polite way). :lol:

Yes indeed. And yeah, I'm sure he and others possibly including myself were incredibly polite about it. :lol:

#813 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

I have learned from experience that it's often not a good idea to call out people who are making extremely emotional posts in game threads, because then they may direct that negative emotion at me and that's no fun for anybody.

#814 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,990 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

Rodrigo Lopez is one of the main culprits behind the collapse of the 2005 Orioles. He's worse than JJ. ;)

#815 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

This is random, but remember how nasty Rodrigo was out of the bullpen in '04?

#816 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

Just got home from the game. I'm sure someone probably mentioned this but I haven't looked back, so I'll say it anyway...

If Jones bunts Hardy over, Girardi walks Wieters and then you have Reynolds up with 1 out. I don't trust Reynolds in that situation to make contact to hit a fly ball deep enough. I think it was the right move, especially considering the IF'ers were all playing the bunt when Adam swung away on the first pitch.

50/50 call there for me. I'm not positive they walk Wieters but they may have done so. Lets remember Reynoldsw has killed them all year.

ANnyway, 50/50 because AJ is our #3 and best hitter. So yeah, generally your never gonna bunt your #3 hiter.On the opposing side, we know AJ gets to hyped at times. he tries to do too much and often can't stay within himself. He's a good bunter, it's very late( bottom of 8th inning) where you really are only playing for 1 run. My gut was telling me we should bunt AJ, but you know, if he doesn't foul the meatball change up straight back and instead crushes it we're all very happy.

#817 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,990 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

Rodrigo was like that. He'd start out on fire from the bullpen then get moved to the rotation and have a solid year. Start the next season in the rotation and get bombed. Then he'd be back in the bullpen and on fire then on to the rotation for another solid year. Then he'd be back in the rotation from the start for another less than stellar year.

#818 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

Alright, I think I've finally cooled off enough to hit the sack. Later fellas... we'll get 'em tomorrow.

#819 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

One distinction I definitely notice is the whole "Figures JJ would choke", "Well, can't trust Strop, and now we can't trust JJ", "Well, glad we made the playoffs, but this series is over."

As opposed to: "Damnit JJ, that was an awful pitch", "Awful execution there", etc.

I think there's a difference in being upset a particular moment in the game, vs. Being upset, but taking it to a level of throwing your arms up in the air and whining about it and saying the O's are doomed/done/toast, etc.

You grok the essence of it. Criticizing something somebody does is just opinion about something that happened. The other stuff goes way beyond that, to the point of showing overt disrespect for the team one claims to be a fan of and the players who comprise that team. To be a fan of the team, as a general rule that means having respect for the uniform and the people who wear it, being on their side, hoping they will find a way to win, etc., which is the exact opposite of treating them like failures just because something went bad.

Now, I fully admit that there are sometimes exceptions to that... like for example Kevin Gregg. While I wouldn't do it (probably), I wouldn't be upset if somebody lost their mind when he did the same BS thing for the eleventy seventh time. But to be an exception it has to be both rare and well-earned, and Kevin Gregg is an example of that.

What's horsecrap is the idea that it's a valid exception anytime the game situation gets tense and something bad happens. That is nothing but a BS excuse for (a) not being able to cope with pressure, and (b) expecting everybody else to be your audience while you put on a big show of losing your marbles. If you're gonna lose your marbles, you should be civilized enough to not make everybody else have to watch you do it. You're the center of your own little universe, but you're not the center of Orioles fandom, the Orioles are. If you're an Oriole fan, show some respect.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#820 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

What's horsecrap is the idea that it's a valid exception anytime the game situation gets tense and something bad happens. That is nothing but a BS excuse for (a) not being able to cope with pressure, and (b) expecting everybody else to be your audience while you put on a big show of losing your marbles. If you're gonna lose your marbles, you should be civilized enough to not make everybody else have to watch you do it. You're the center of your own little universe, but you're not the center of Orioles fandom, the Orioles are. If you're an Oriole fan, show some respect.

Learning how to reel in, and appropriately handle my emotions is an ongoing process, and something I've struggled with for a while. I guess that's why I can relate. And I do think it's a generational thing. The late Gen X's and all of the Gen Y's tend to react, then think. That may too broad a generalization... in fact, it probably is, but I'm personally OK with it based on my personal experiences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=