• Please log in to reply
828 replies to this topic

#781 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

CC is such a beast. Nothing but respect for him.

He's nice to fans too, even opposing fans. He came over and signed for me and some family in MN after a side session when he played for the Indians. And we were wearing MN caps.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#782 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,057 posts

Well, I was wrong about the other place... the reasonable guys were keeping the morons in check thru the 8th... but then in top-9 the morons came out of the woodwork... guys talking about how this is the end, how JJ should be shut down for the rest of the playoffs, people saying that the O's are doomed... . saying the O's can never win vs. the MFY's, saying our best players are horrible whenever their AB's are important... it's really amazing... bedwetting left and right, sissies everywhere...

The price of living and dying with your team. I'm an emotional fan. Every second is do or die. There's no middle ground.

#783 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Girardi's an idiot.

Sounds about right.

#784 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,563 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

He's nice to fans too, even opposing fans. He came over and signed for me and some family in MN after a side session when he played for the Indians. And we were wearing MN caps.

Cool story. Not surprising.

#785 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,563 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

You probably have a point... I just think that's disgusting behavior, that's all. But I do understand that some folks think watching the Orioles is mainly about their venting their own emotions. I also realize that the majority of opinion supports that kind of thing... so, I think maybe I'll just skip the game threads... better for me, better for the bedwetters too...

I think it's a generation gap type thing. I have tried to see where you're coming from, and to some degree, I do... I still think you should be able to enjoy the good parts of the game threads, while rejecting the rest.

#786 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

They say the playoffs don't start until someone wins an away game. I guess they've started.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#787 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

Whenever we thought this team was done and the bottom was going to fall out, they have bounced back. I expect a strong performance tomorrow.

#788 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

I agree with Shack that for my taste, people sometimes get overly emotional in game threads. I understand the emotion, but I'm not a fan of all of that emotion being poured out into a game thread. However, there's also plenty of valid negative comments and there's nothing wrong with being critical.

#789 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

CC is such a beast. Nothing but respect for him.

Well except for that one time when he intentionally hit our leadoff man and broke his thumb. :/ (I know he didn't break it on purpose, bad luck with the spot it hit, just kinda hate that part of the game.)
@JeremyMStrain

#790 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

I'm not even going to visit aany other sites tonight. I know one in particular is going to have a ton of people already jumping off the bandwagon. I mean we're clearly up against it now but people overreact and can't control their emotions/ frustrations. I also think that is an age thing as well. As I've hit my 30's I've learned to control my emotions better.(I know thats gonna shock SBTarheel ;) ) 10 years ago I would have been destrought and flipping out.

#791 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

I think it's a generation gap type thing. I have tried to see where you're coming from, and to some degree, I do... I still think you should be able to enjoy the good parts of the game threads, while rejecting the rest.

Well, maybe I "should"... but I can't.

Just like I could say fans "should" support their team, especially when that team came through again and again to make the playoffs, without immediately crapping their pants whenever things get tough, and then blaming the O's for it. Face it, it's not that the players can't cope with the pressure, it's the pants-crapping fans who can't.

Now, I'm not saying people can't crap their pants if they want to, as long as it's their pants and not mine... it's the dissing of their own team that sticks in my craw.

Now, I fully admit that I am not able to be watching the game intensely and then say "oh, well" when some clown decides to do his Oriole-hating in public, especially when he has to do it, not just in a game thread at one place, but in 2 game threads at once. However, I fully realize that most folks evidently support that kind of thing, and I know better than to think anything about it is gonna change, so I'll just face the reality that the bedwetters are gonna carry the day. I just wish there was a place for people like that and another place for people who don't fall apart like a house of cards, but that's not how the internet works.

So, all in all, I do get what you're saying. No problem with you at all. It's just the anger-thumpers I can't deal with very well, so I'll let you have the pleasure of accepting their crap without tempting you to call me out on mine. You have your priorities and I have mine. We can disagree about it and still be pals...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#792 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

there's also plenty of valid negative comments and there's nothing wrong with being critical.

Of course there isn't. Nobody said there is.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#793 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

Of course there isn't. Nobody said there is.

Well I don't know what comments you deem acceptable.

#794 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,563 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

I agree with Shack that for my taste, people sometimes get overly emotional in game threads. I understand the emotion, but I'm not a fan of all of that emotion being poured out into a game thread. However, there's also plenty of valid negative comments and there's nothing wrong with being critical.

Yeah, I get that. It just doesn't truly impact me I guess is what I'm saying.

Well, maybe I "should"... but I can't.

Just like I could say fans "should" support their team, especially when that team came through again and again to make the playoffs, without immediately crapping their pants whenever things get tough, and then blaming the O's for it. Face it, it's not that the players can't cope with the pressure, it's the pants-crapping fans who can't.

Now, I'm not saying people can't crap their pants if they want to, as long as it's their pants and not mine... it's the dissing of their own team that sticks in my craw.

Now, I fully admit that I am not able to be watching the game intensely and then say "oh, well" when some clown decides to do his Oriole-hating in public, especially when he has to do it, not just in a game thread at one place, but in 2 game threads at once. However, I fully realize that most folks evidently support that kind of thing, and I know better than to think anything about it is gonna change, so I'll just face the reality that the bedwetters are gonna carry the day. I just wish there was a place for people like that and another place for people who don't fall apart like a house of cards, but that's not how the internet works.

So, all in all, I do get what you're saying. No problem with you at all. It's just the anger-thumpers I can't deal with very well, so I'll let you have the pleasure of accepting their crap without tempting you to call me out on mine. You have your priorities and I have mine. We can disagree about it and still be pals...

I won't call you out anymore, just figured I would attempt an actual, sincere open dialogue about it. I do see where you're coming from.

#795 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

I'm not even going to visit aany other sites tonight. I know one in particular is going to have a ton of people already jumping off the bandwagon. I mean we're clearly up against it now but people overreact and can't control their emotions/ frustrations. I also think that is an age thing as well. As I've hit my 30's I've learned to control my emotions better.(I know thats gonna shock SBTarheel ;) ) 10 years ago I would have been destrought and flipping out.

Well unless Gammons maybe takes a shot at the O's. ;)

#796 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,563 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

Well I don't know what comments you deem acceptable.

One distinction I definitely notice is the whole "Figures JJ would choke", "Well, can't trust Strop, and now we can't trust JJ", "Well, glad we made the playoffs, but this series is over."

As opposed to: "Damnit JJ, that was an awful pitch", "Awful execution there", etc.

I think there's a difference in being upset a particular moment in the game, vs. Being upset, but taking it to a level of throwing your arms up in the air and whining about it and saying the O's are doomed/done/toast, etc.

#797 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

Some nice name calling going on...

#798 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

One distinction I definitely notice is the whole "Figures JJ would choke", "Well, can't trust Strop, and now we can't trust JJ", "Well, glad we made the playoffs, but this series is over."

As opposed to: "Damnit JJ, that was an awful pitch", "Awful execution there", etc.

I think there's a difference in being upset a particular moment in the game, vs. Being upset, but taking it to a level of throwing your arms up in the air and whining about it and saying the O's are doomed/done/toast, etc.

I agree that's a good distinction to make. It's just unclear to me from Shack's comments as to what he thinks is valid criticism or not since he often criticizes people for what I consider to be relatively valid and/or tame criticism and it comments in this thread are not clear.

#799 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

You shouldn't be in a game thread if raw, spur of the moment reactions are going to bug you. It's the nature of the beast.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#800 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

Some nice name calling going on...

???
Explain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic