#221 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 October 2021 - 10:06 AM

One thing I'd really like to see is the Athletic Department willing to put more money into the assistant coaches' salaries. I get that firing Edsall and Durkin has hamstrung them a bit, but if you want to build a successful program you can't be losing assistant coaches (or unable to hire higher-level assistants) because of money. I think Locksley's built a solid staff despite the financial burden that's been placed on him, but investment in assistants has been pretty bad over the last few years.

• BSLChrisStoner and ShoNuff07 like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#222 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 October 2021 - 10:22 AM

If not right away, a year or two later. VT with Beamer, OKST with Gundy, TCU with Patterson. Clemson was relevant with Fisher but it's Swinney who got the to the top.

But others have had continued success across multiple regimes now. Wisky and Oregon have had four or five coaches over the last 20 years or so.

Coaching hires work both ways too. If you get it right, you can win anywhere. Get it wrong, and even blue bloods will struggle (see: FSU and USC right now). Even Alabama had a stretch where they were pretty mediocre before Saban.

Hiring a coach is as important as getting the right CEO to run a big business….because that’s almost what college football programs are now. He has to be able to do a lot more than just be good at Xs and Os and sitting in recruit’s living rooms.

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLZackKiesel, Mike in STL and 2 others like this

#223 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 02:21 PM

If not right away, a year or two later. VT with Beamer, OKST with Gundy, TCU with Patterson. Clemson was relevant with Fisher but it's Swinney who got the to the top.

But others have had continued success across multiple regimes now. Wisky and Oregon have had four or five coaches over the last 20 years or so.

I take it you meant Tommy Bowden ?

#224 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:42 AM

DL Joseph Boletepeli has entered the transfer portal. He’s failed to break through into the rotation after transferring from N.C. State before last season.
@BSLZackKiesel

#225 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:15 AM

BSL: Bye Week Thoughts

https://baltimorespo...-week-thoughts/

A look at where Maryland has been through the first half of the season, and where they're going in the second half.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#226 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:10 PM

My take:

So far I'd say the one tangible sign of progress is that they have not lost any games they should have won, something they almost always have managed to do at least once a season in the past. It was too close at Illinois, and despite the margin of victory they were sloppy against Kent St, but both times they got the result.

Going forward, they need to get to 6 wins to assure at least a .500 season and bowl game. No excuses. As of now, three of their remaining games look very winnable. Again, no excuses.

And they need to look like a competitive football team when they play Michigan/MSU/PSU. These constant blowouts are ridiculous and have to stop. Talent-wise they are better than this. They've got to find the discipline and mental fortitude to deal with adversity. Compare them with Nebraska, a team I don't think is really any better than they are, currently at 3-4. Yes, the Cornhuskers crapped the bed at Illinois; but their other three losses were at Oklahoma, at Michigan State and vs Michigan. They lost those games by a combined 13 points, and gave themselves a chance to win each of them late. I don't think it's asking much of MD to get similar results against ranked opponents.

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLZackKiesel and BSLRoseKatz like this

#227 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 October 2021 - 10:41 AM

Yeah I think if they continue to win all their winnable games that'd be an accomplishment just because it's something they've simply failed to do in recent years, which I included in my article about needing to make it to 4-0 against Iowa. If they sweep the Minn/Rut/IU trio that'd be their first winning regular season since 2014 which I'd still argue is a sign of progress regardless of the margin of defeat in their five potential losses.

Obviously improving the margin of defeat (or winning) would be nice to but I think I'd still see a 7-5 regular season as a good sign of progress that they finished a regular season successfully taking care of business against weaker or evenly matched opponents.  

#228 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 October 2021 - 10:22 PM

Former Maryland RB Jake Funk suffered a torn hamstring yesterday and will miss the remainder of the season. His lone carry came in the Rams’ second game, and he’s been a crucial part of their special teams unit.
@BSLZackKiesel

#229 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 October 2021 - 02:55 PM

LBs Branden Jennings and Demeioun Robinson have been named to ESPN's Midseason True Freshman All-American Team.

@BSLZackKiesel

#230 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:52 AM

IMS: Locksley on Maryland football's familiar issues: "I'm looking at myself first."

https://247sports.co...b836fc391ef4bb6

#231 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 03:53 PM

He's got a career record of 12-46. He's 10-20 at Maryland. Maybe he can recruit decent talent at skill positions, but he's not a good headcoach.

#232 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,361 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 03:58 PM

He's got a career record of 12-46. He's 10-20 at Maryland. Maybe he can recruit decent talent at skill positions, but he's not a good headcoach.

The complete opposite of a good coach. And yes he does a decent job of recruiting. Decent. Decent.

But hey glad hes looking at himself first. Can you get more cliche.

#233 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:01 PM

And hey, this is his dream job. He loves Maryland. Doesn't that make you feel all tingly inside?

#234 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:04 PM

Even Randy Edsall got Maryland to a couple of bowl games..... he even beat Iowa, Penn State, and Michigan in the same season.

#235 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,361 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:12 PM

Even Randy Edsall got Maryland to a couple of bowl games..... he even beat Iowa, Penn State, and Michigan in the same season.

Locksley really was 3-31 when we hired him a few years ago wasnt he. We hired a guy with a 3-31 record. We did that.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#236 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:21 PM

Given the situation they were in after Durkin - I can't imagine they had many better options. Probably should've stuck with Canada.

#237 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:21 PM

It really doesn't make sense to keep bashing the dude when he's down. This isn't a program with actual expectations, just abstract hope.

At this point, I'm down with seeing what happens after a couple more years of recruiting. If he can get the talent level closer to Big Ten level, it'll make all the difference.

Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, whoever, no one could win with this team right now. That's the bottom line and what I've been saying, but Terps fans are just way too half glass full, despite there being little reason in their history for them to be that way.

#238 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:33 PM

I think he's the perfect guy for 'now', and doesn't really matter if you doubt he's the guy to ultimately get you where you want to be. 

My opinion is the program needs some continuity at this point. 

I'd like to see him have 2-3 more classes and seasons.   

I'd also like to see the University give him what's needed to continue to improve his coaching staff. 

IDK why his record at New Mexico is held against him, that doesn't really matter in any way imo. 

I do hold against him MD being blown off the field in games at this point (vs. anyone) and making sloppy errors. 

Actually more disappointed by yesterday's showing (off a bye, against a team with similar levels of talent) than I am the two previous losses. Yesterday wasn't acceptable. 

I still wouldn't be looking to make that change. 

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#239 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,361 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:36 PM

It really doesn't make sense to keep bashing the dude when he's down. This isn't a program with actual expectations, just abstract hope.

At this point, I'm down with seeing what happens after a couple more years of recruiting. If he can get the talent level closer to Big Ten level, it'll make all the difference.

Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, whoever, no one could win with this team right now. That's the bottom line and what I've been saying, but Terps fans are just way too half glass full, despite there being little reason in their history for them to be that way.

If anyone has realistic plans on being what Stoner thinks this program can be then accept and realize Locksley isnt the guy thats going to get you there or even build a foundation to get you there. Now, if you want a hometown guy that seemingly loves the program because we are still in damage control over the previous tenure then fine. No problem still being in clean up, damage control mode. When does that end though?? And when it does end find someone that could actually win 8 games a season.

#240 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:38 PM

If anyone has realistic plans on being what Stoner thinks this program can be then accept and realize Locksley isnt the guy thats going to get you there or even build a foundation to get you there. Now, if you want a hometown guy that seemingly loves the program and are still in damage control over the previous tenure then fine but the fanbase should have no expectations with this coach.

And they won't. That's why I believe what I'm saying. I'm not just venting here. No real expectations, just abstract hope. Sadly, that's become the case for the basketball program too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=