JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:52 PM

Trigger warning...

I haven't seen breaking bad or better call saul. This news typically causes great distress for people, though I assume your analogy was spot on.

No distress here. I'm sure it's one of the few "must see" series I actually viewed. And that's only because of DVR!
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#483 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:53 PM

Trigger warning...

I haven't seen breaking bad or better call saul. This news typically causes great distress for people, though I assume your analogy was spot on.

Both very good. I actually think Better Call Saul is the better of the two.  No trigger though.  Era of prestige tv. Lots of great shows, and I certainly understand those who want time away from starting at screens. 

#484 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:56 PM

Maybe a little of both, and hopefully both can be cured/improved during the bye.

I think last week you can probably chalk it up to injury. But looking at the season as a whole,  to me it looks like Roman or somebody told him to stop running. 

• JStruds likes this

#485 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:59 PM

I think last week you can probably chalk it up to injury. But looking at the season as a whole, to me it looks like Roman or somebody told him to stop running.

It seems to me they pull out the big run or he scrambles in crucial moments. Im thinking the gameplan is to play it safe with his legs early in the year and to unleash it in big games, crucial moments in a game, and the playoffs. If we can win while not needing him to get 10+ designed carries a game then dont risk it.
  • bmore_ken and JStruds like this

#486 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:04 PM

Missed a lot of the first half. Saw Dobbins had one long run but not much else. Didn't get but 1 or 2 carries in the 2nd half. Any thoughts on his first half??

#487 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:11 PM

Sorry folks, did not mean to go off on such a tangent; blame it ony friend Jack (Daniels).

#488 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,302 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:37 PM

The OL play was miserable today.

I agree that Lamar has played pretty well despite the poor play of the OL.

Yeah, this was the first time this year where I said to myself, "Houston, we have a problem."  And unfortunately, it's probably not going away anytime soon.  I knew Yanda retiring was going to cause some issues but I never realized how much better he made everyone around him.  Stanley played a horrible game and the rest weren't much better.  Without Lamar, this offense would truly suck. 

#489 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:40 PM

Yeah, this was the first time this year where I said to myself, "Houston, we have a problem." And unfortunately, it's probably not going away anytime soon. I knew Yanda retiring was going to cause some issues but I never realized how much better he made everyone around him. Stanley played a horrible game and the rest weren't much better. Without Lamar, this offense would truly suck.

The offensive penalties were a huge problem today. Something we rarely had last year. Just consistently stalled drives. That and the 3 or 4 huge chunk plays we allowed in the 2nd half were the only reason the score wasn't something like 45-10.

#490 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,003 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:45 PM

The offensive penalties were a huge problem today. Something we rarely had last year. Just consistently stalled drives. That and the 3 or 4 huge chunk plays we allowed in the 2nd half were the only reason the score wasn't something like 45-10.

I'm not sure if 10 or 12 plays can accurately be described as the "only" reason for something. :)

Lots went wrong today in the second half. I would agree that it was mostly the Ravens beating themselves but not that it was largely some fluke in the second half. Damn good thing the defense had such a great first half and that we capitalized on the red zone chances. Gave the team tons of margin for error, which they used up pretty much in its entirety.

#491 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:48 PM

Both very good. I actually think Better Call Saul is the better of the two. No trigger though. Era of prestige tv. Lots of great shows, and I certainly understand those who want time away from starting at screens.

I feel like it's such an investment at this point to start one means you need to watch ten seasons worth of television.
@DaKittenz

#492 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:50 PM

If it were me, I would start Fluker and start to play power football without the pulling and zone scheme, but that is never going to happen because Matt Skura remains the center.  It might also be time to go big with extra lineman at times.  I forgot that lost art from last season of committing to the dive and rolling Lamar on a naked boot.  I would pull that off once or twice a game in short yardage situations to open up running lanes.

Passing was good and crisp at times, with some questionable play calling on three third downs.  It was nice to see him get others involved and I know that would have continued without the penalties in place stalling out half of the drives today.

Scoring 30 with penalties and the refs blowing so many calls is a good sign.  Eagles defense is no slouch and good to see them break off a few plays in big chunks.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@Olsen_Don

#493 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Yeah, Im not really trying to find silver linings. We were clearly the better team but big plays allowed and penalties are what gives any inferior team a chance. Unacceptable, but all teams are susceptible. Take the win and clean it up coming out of the bye.

#494 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Yeah I don't know what that was about. That one TD to the Eagles TE who had time to make a sandwich waiting for the pass because there wasn't a Raven near him had me screaming at the tv.  :oops:

• JStruds likes this

#495 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,302 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:33 PM

Yeah I don't know what that was about. That one TD to the Eagles TE who had time to make a sandwich waiting for the pass because there wasn't a Raven near him had me screaming at the tv.  :oops:

I haven't seen it yet but what about the one where Peters and Humphreys were literally on top of the receiver and he still caught the fluttering TD pass? It might have been the last one.  Gerry Sandusky was completely nonplussed on the radio play-by-play. 

#496 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

I haven't seen it yet but what about the one where Peters and Humphreys were literally on top of the receiver and he still caught the fluttering TD pass? It might have been the last one. Gerry Sandusky was completely nonplussed on the radio play-by-play.

Humphrey left his man to help and although there was no contact, I think maybe both of them caught just enough of a glimpse of the other that they both missed making the play. Kind of like those pop ups in baseball that occasionally fall into the Bermuda triangle.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#497 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:14 PM

If it were me, I would start Fluker and start to play power football without the pulling and zone scheme, but that is never going to happen because Matt Skura remains the center.  It might also be time to go big with extra lineman at times.  I forgot that lost art from last season of committing to the dive and rolling Lamar on a naked boot.  I would pull that off once or twice a game in short yardage situations to open up running lanes.

Passing was good and crisp at times, with some questionable play calling on three third downs.  It was nice to see him get others involved and I know that would have continued without the penalties in place stalling out half of the drives today.

Scoring 30 with penalties and the refs blowing so many calls is a good sign.  Eagles defense is no slouch and good to see them break off a few plays in big chunks.

I'm with you Don. Would love to see them put Mekari at Center, Fluker at RG and just pound the ball. I understand they want to be able to pull to both sides but something has to change. If the running game can even get close to last year's level everything else will open up a little. And Yanda wasn't some kind of pulling ace last year, it was mostly Bozeman on the move.

#498 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:20 PM

Both very good. I actually think Better Call Saul is the better of the two. No trigger though. Era of prestige tv. Lots of great shows, and I certainly understand those who want time away from starting at screens.

There’s just too much TV. Every week I hear about a new show I HAVE to watch. I’m out on almost all of it.

Unless sports shut down again of course
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#499 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,003 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:26 PM

There’s just too much TV. Every week I hear about a new show I HAVE to watch. I’m out on almost all of it.

Unless sports shut down again of course

There's definitely too much good TV to watch it all...but it's Breaking Bad. Should be at the very top of the priority list for anyone who hasn't seen it.

#500 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:53 AM

Imo...
KC
Tenn
Pitt
Buffalo
Baltimore
Honestly Tennessee scares the bejesus out of me. I think they're built to beat KC and I would be wholly unsurprised if they represent the AFC in the Superbowl. They just crushed Buffalo without even practicing, and played again 5 days later and won a shootout with Deshaun Watson. They are scary.

I'm with you on Tennessee. They are very good all around and Henry is a generational back. I am hoping they are peaking too soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=