#61 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,458 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 01:33 PM

Kinda sucks for Frederick.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#62 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 December 2020 - 01:42 PM

Kinda sucks for Frederick.

Yes it does.  It bothers me how easily MLB throws away long term relationships, but money talks.

@mikeghg

#63 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,458 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 01:46 PM

I kind of get it. Frederick is the odd man out. Worst stadium of the affiliates and a field that routinely gets criticized. But you’d think the closest affiliate to Baltimore would be more than the short season team. I mean I guess it’ll be fun to see the newly drafted guys for a few weeks during the summer. But I wouldn’t be shocked to see the city try to go the independent route to get the stadium more use each year. Especially after it’s been dark for an entire year during Covid.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#64 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 09 December 2020 - 02:03 PM

There aren't very many positives to come out of this but for the 4 full-season affiliates now in place for each team, agreements are for 10 years instead of 2 years. So more stability there. 

The situation is also still fluid. Teams can elect to not sign the contract and one of the teams left out, like Frederick, can move back in.

@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#65 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 02:22 PM

https://www.masnspor...021-season.html

#66 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 December 2020 - 02:37 PM

I kind of get it. Frederick is the odd man out. Worst stadium of the affiliates and a field that routinely gets criticized. But you’d think the closest affiliate to Baltimore would be more than the short season team. I mean I guess it’ll be fun to see the newly drafted guys for a few weeks during the summer. But I wouldn’t be shocked to see the city try to go the independent route to get the stadium more use each year. Especially after it’s been dark for an entire year during Covid.

Just to clarify, Frederick joining the MLB Draft League will be mainly for college juniors and seniors looking to get some additional playing time before the new mid-July draft. So for most of the MLB Draft League season, these players will be unaffiliated and will be heavily scouted by teams' amateur scouting departments.

I haven't heard what happens in the second half of the league once the draft concludes but I cannot imagine teams nor other agencies will allow their clients to participate unless their contract is finalized and if the club approves (though at that point, I'd assume they'll just send those signed draftees to the FL/AZ complexes for instructional leagues). 

• Why Not? likes this

#67 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 02:39 PM

Yeah, sounds like Frederick is now in a poor man's version of the Cape Cod league.

#68 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 02:54 PM

FNP article:

Keys part ways with Orioles, join MLB Draft League | News | fredericknewspost.com

• Why Not? likes this

#69 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 December 2020 - 03:33 PM

Yeah, sounds like Frederick is now in a poor man's version of the Cape Cod league.

Yes and no. Technically MLB is going to actually tout the MLB Draft League as a step-up from the Cape Cod League.

However, in reality, I don't envision that being the case as it is going to be a bit of apples to oranges comparison. Most of the collegiate athletes that play in the Cape Cod league do so in between their sophomore and junior years. As far as I've learned, the MLB Draft League will be for juniors heading in to their senior year that are eligible for the draft that same year. This is only possible due to the draft moving from early June back to mid-July, giving college players a full month and a half of extra game-time.

However, I personally (as well as other agencies) are of the mindset that the league may not attract upper-level, round 1-2 talent because the risk of injury or poor performance in the league may hurt draft stock. I think you'll see many more interested players that fall in the middle draft rounds looking to improve their stock (or interest from guys who suffered injuries during the season to get more play time and at-bats/innings on tape). 

It'll be interesting to see. It's definitely a brand new era of baseball as it relates to amateur and minor league baseball.

• JeremyStrain and kudzu like this

#70 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:45 PM

There aren't very many positives to come out of this but for the 4 full-season affiliates now in place for each team, agreements are for 10 years instead of 2 years. So more stability there. 

The situation is also still fluid. Teams can elect to not sign the contract and one of the teams left out, like Frederick, can move back in.

Are all of the agreements for 10 years? I've seen speculation about some of the excluded teams trying to get back into affiliated ball as soon as 2022. 

#71 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,458 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:50 PM

Just to clarify, Frederick joining the MLB Draft League will be mainly for college juniors and seniors looking to get some additional playing time before the new mid-July draft. So for most of the MLB Draft League season, these players will be unaffiliated and will be heavily scouted by teams' amateur scouting departments.

I haven't heard what happens in the second half of the league once the draft concludes but I cannot imagine teams nor other agencies will allow their clients to participate unless their contract is finalized and if the club approves (though at that point, I'd assume they'll just send those signed draftees to the FL/AZ complexes for instructional leagues).

Yeah I realized that after the post. That’s even worse. Basically gonna be glorified American Legion games.
  • CantonJester likes this

#72 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 December 2020 - 06:03 PM

Silver lining is I’m gonna get season tickets to see the improved talent at Aberdeen every year now since I live so close. (Once it’s safe to do so of course.)

#73 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 07:03 AM

There's only one top-150 prospect in that entire draft showcase league that they put Frederick in.

“Looks like there’s a real struggle to fill out rosters,” one longtime scout said. “There’s maybe five guys worth watching (to scout) and that’s being nice.”

Initial MLB Draft League rosters underwhelm longtime scouts: 'It looks like an open tryout for the Indy leagues' – The Athletic

#74 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 23 April 2021 - 07:50 AM

Yeah..They have done a good job of highlighting every kid who signs up to play this summer on their Twitter account but I've only seen one name who I'm semi-excited about. 

If I'm a mid-major kid who is already a fringe draft pick but have had good scout days at my campus and put together a solid season during the college season, why risk an injury and killing my chances of being drafted?

And from a fan's perspective, the Cal Ripken League and Valley League are going to provide higher quality players to go watch if I want to check out collegiate level summer ball in the DMV area.

@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#75 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 01:35 PM

News from Frederick where the city will join the Atlantic Lg in 2023 while also keeping its MLB Draft Lg team. Lot of ball at Harry Grove next summer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=