• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 17 November 2020 - 01:10 PM

As far as I'm aware, any previous PBAs are basically going out the window this off-season. It's basically a free-for-all to be one of the 120 minor league teams for 2021. 

Yeah basically. The "contracts" of organizational ownership are just agreements. The overall CONTRACT is for minor leagues to operate as a whole for MLB. THAT is the contract that expired. So it's not that the agreements are going away, more like the league they belonged to folded, and MLB is starting a new one in house, versus outsourced. Which then yeah basically means those agreements are null and void.

Basically, MLB is going to "purchase" the rights to 120 lucky teams (for zero dollars), and the MLB teams get to select what teams they want, the minor league club has no say, and must pay 8.5% of their revenue to MLB (they paid 8% before and .5% to minor league baseball, like an admin fee).

This is why MLB wants things kept quiet about what team's lists are, because if two clubs select the same team, they've gotta figure that out somehow. Say if both BAL and WAS claimed Bowie.

Still no word if they are going to toss the seating requirements for each level so that whatever team you deem can be AAA, AA, or A ball. Rookie and SS ball are done.

The appalaichan league will become a college wood bat league (but no idea if they expand the number of teams, currently at 10, and all are already owned by MLB).

I think that's all I really KNOW and understand out of all of this. There are going to be 40 new independent league teams out there, so more than enough room to form up leagues on their own and offer another avenue for players out of HS and college...the trick to those is going to be they are the leftovers and going to be really spread around the country, so ultimately trying to put together a couple leagues out of this probably can't logistically happen.

@JeremyMStrain

#42 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 01:48 PM

Yeah basically. The "contracts" of organizational ownership are just agreements. The overall CONTRACT is for minor leagues to operate as a whole for MLB. THAT is the contract that expired. So it's not that the agreements are going away, more like the league they belonged to folded, and MLB is starting a new one in house, versus outsourced. Which then yeah basically means those agreements are null and void.

Basically, MLB is going to "purchase" the rights to 120 lucky teams (for zero dollars), and the MLB teams get to select what teams they want, the minor league club has no say, and must pay 8.5% of their revenue to MLB (they paid 8% before and .5% to minor league baseball, like an admin fee).

This is why MLB wants things kept quiet about what team's lists are, because if two clubs select the same team, they've gotta figure that out somehow. Say if both BAL and WAS claimed Bowie.

Still no word if they are going to toss the seating requirements for each level so that whatever team you deem can be AAA, AA, or A ball. Rookie and SS ball are done.

The appalaichan league will become a college wood bat league (but no idea if they expand the number of teams, currently at 10, and all are already owned by MLB).

I think that's all I really KNOW and understand out of all of this. There are going to be 40 new independent league teams out there, so more than enough room to form up leagues on their own and offer another avenue for players out of HS and college...the trick to those is going to be they are the leftovers and going to be really spread around the country, so ultimately trying to put together a couple leagues out of this probably can't logistically happen.

What is the biggest RON here, what is their biggest goal?

I doubt its to help out the minor leaguers.

Look at the economics involved.

The big winners is MLB and they are saving money.

#43 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:09 PM

What is the biggest RON here, what is their biggest goal?

I doubt its to help out the minor leaguers.

Look at the economics involved.

The big winners is MLB and they are saving money.

That's the worst part in all this, there's been no real goal. As much as people have been fighting to improve quality of life in the minors so i have a feeling there's SOME plan theoretically in place to do that.

MLB really isn't saving anything right now. It doesn't pay the operating expenses from any of these minor league teams, and it GETS 8% from them. They are technically giving money away by closing down 40 teams.

BUT the question is, in this new logistic framework what is going to change to make things better for either side? Stuff we don't know yet. Maybe MLB starts dealing with some of the expenses now? Maybe they'll start getting better benefits? I have no idea so far.

@JeremyMStrain

#44 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:38 AM

Nationals AAA team will take over Minnesota's old spot in Rochester. 

#45 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:53 AM

Nationals AAA team will take over Minnesota's old spot in Rochester. 

Wasnt that the old Orioles site, before going south to VA?

#46 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:35 AM

Hey guys, let's keep this thread to O's-minor league changes-only... there's already a full thread discussing the rest of the teams' affiliation changes here

#47 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 10:26 AM

Shoes are dropping today. 

Frederick leaves affiliated baseball and will be a member of the Draft League. 

#48 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 10:45 AM

So we have four current Orioles affiliates and four spots.

What will we wind up with?

AAA Norfolk, AA Bowie, A+ Aberdeen, A- Delmarva 

AAA Aberdeen or Bowie, AA Aberdeen or Bowie, A+ Delmarva, A- Sarasota

AAA Norfolk, AA Aberdeen, A+ Bowie, A- Delmarva

AAA Norfolk, AA Aberdeen, A+ Bowie, A- Sarasota

Or Will there be a random replacement nobody is expecting?

#49 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:09 AM

So we have four current Orioles affiliates and four spots.

What will we wind up with?

AAA Norfolk, AA Bowie, A+ Aberdeen, A- Delmarva 

AAA Aberdeen or Bowie, AA Aberdeen or Bowie, A+ Delmarva, A- Sarasota

AAA Norfolk, AA Aberdeen, A+ Bowie, A- Delmarva

AAA Norfolk, AA Aberdeen, A+ Bowie, A- Sarasota

Or Will there be a random replacement nobody is expecting?

Because the Rookie leagues are going away in Florida, it's a question now of will they have a full season in Sarasota that is like what we just had in Bowie last year? All instruction, no games? Or will they join the forming low A league down there in FL and run it out of Sarasota since it's already there and operating.

I'm not sure what they consider "extended spring training" to be, which is basically what they did last season. It looks like some teams are banding together to keep some sort of SAL league together, it'll probably be a new league with the actual SAL league running down in FL I THINK, if not other way around, new FL league and SAL league will pick up teams like Fredericksburg (WAS) and keep it a lower mid atlantic league. I know the gist is that they want leagues with bus travel only, and not unrealistic 12-16 hour bus trip travel.

So may see more smaller leagues form? Not sure yet until they list the 120 and you see what is gone into these draft leagues, wood bat leagues and what new pops up in the indy leagues.

I'm expecting a new league to form from guys that don't get drafted (smaller drafts) that would have been in previous years, that will be independent. If anything, the indy leagues will be more interesting than just old ML retreads, guys not really good enough to get drafted, or guys that dealt with injuries through HS/College. (That's what you generally see in these leagues right now)

• Why Not? likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#50 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:59 AM

If the Orioles will apparently have 2 GCL teams next year, I'm assuming they continue to play in Sarasota and you have AAA-Norfolk, AA-Bowie, A+ Aberdeen, A- Delmarva.

@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#51 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:04 PM

Full list announced and discussed here.

Baltimore will have:

AAA - Norfolk

AA - Bowie

High-A - Aberdeen

Low-A - Delmarva

So locally, Frederick and Hagerstown lose affiliation. Frederick will be part of the MLB Draft League.

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:07 PM

Seems weird that Aberdeen and Delmarva switch levels. This because Aberdeen is a nicer stadium experience?

#53 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:22 PM

Seems weird that Aberdeen and Delmarva switch levels. This because Aberdeen is a nicer stadium experience?

Delmarva has always been Low A. Frederick was High A. But yeah, Aberdeen is going to get the higher level nod because it's a newer stadium.

I think Norfolk and Bowie built their stadiums at the same time, both are 28 years old now, but you wouldn't think it when you go there.

• Old Man likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#54 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:22 PM

If the Orioles will apparently have 2 GCL teams next year, I'm assuming they continue to play in Sarasota and you have AAA-Norfolk, AA-Bowie, A+ Aberdeen, A- Delmarva.

I thought part of this is they are doing away with GCL. Guess I just didn't get that part.

@JeremyMStrain

#55 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:29 PM

I thought part of this is they are doing away with GCL. Guess I just didn't get that part.

welcome to my world. I not getting most of this at all.

#56 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:30 PM

Elias confirmed (I think MASN had a story yesterday) he's anticipating 2 GCL teams and I believe 2 DSL teams also. 

Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#57 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:31 PM

welcome to my world. I not getting most of this at all.

Ugh. I thought I finally had a handle on it too. I get the rest of the country, but now I don't understand what they are doing in FL.

• Old Man likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#58 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:37 PM

Elias confirmed (I think MASN had a story yesterday) he's anticipating 2 GCL teams and I believe 2 DSL teams also. 

That's even more confusing, cause aren't they going to create a bottle neck at Low A doing that? You're going to have all these players on those 4 teams ready to move up to full season ball and have no where to put them. You're already condensing 5 higher teams down to 4, that's going to cut out 25 filler players on it's own, plus all the college players they drafted in 2019 and 2020 that are ready for full season. THEN you're going to have close to 100 kids each year that will be ready to trickle up, and don't have the spots to put them. I feel like they are going to have to cut a lot of talent you've claimed and invested in way too soon doing that. It's almost going to create a rule 5 draft situation in the minors each year...I bet this is why so many people have been excited about the minor league portion of the rule 5 on the sly this year.

• Old Man likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#59 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:42 PM

Each organization can have a maximum of 180 minor leaguers beginning next year, that does not include players on your DSL roster so it's going to force a lot of players out of the game (and into indy ball or another career path) and I do agree that you could see this bottleneck situation in Low-A if you have 60+ DSL players outside of the 180 in affiliated ball.

#60 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:51 PM

Each organization can have a maximum of 180 minor leaguers beginning next year, that does not include players on your DSL roster so it's going to force a lot of players out of the game (and into indy ball or another career path) and I do agree that you could see this bottleneck situation in Low-A if you have 60+ DSL players outside of the 180 in affiliated ball.

At 25 per affiliated level, that's 100, so that leaves 80 you can hold back on the 2 GCL teams and in some sorta instructionals in Sarasota I guess. But like you said, if you've got 80 and then another 70 or so in the DSL, 150 players trying to move up when natural attrition you might lose 10? There's gonna be a problem somewhere.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=