#581 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 11 October 2020 - 06:56 PM

Dobbins- 1 carry. Playing with a lead the whole game- 37 passes/24 rushing attempts. Makes sense, right?

To Roman and Harbaugh it did, but not to many of us. But, our vote doesn't count.

#582 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,401 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 07:18 PM

They're using Duvernay and Dobbins both as gadget guys. Dobbins got two goalline carries and TDs in Week 1. I dont get why his touches are decreasing. Has to be something

#583 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 07:38 PM

They're using Duvernay and Dobbins both as gadget guys. Dobbins got two goalline carries and TDs in Week 1. I dont get why his touches are decreasing. Has to be something

The ONLY reason I could see as legitimate, is they want to use them later in the season/postseason. And don't want them hitting the rookie wall around week 13.

But 1 carry. 1. And he took it for 34 yards. Ingram has 57 yards, but 34 of them came two carrys. Outside of those two runs he looked slow and punchless.

Their is absolutely no excuse for not giving Dobbins more touches. None. Same with Duvernay. Boykins is a really good blocker. Same with Ingram in pass protection. I get that. But on obvious passing downs, Duvernay should be on the field over Boykin 10 out of 10 times.

#584 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 07:52 PM

Boykin's one of those cases where I'm sorry I've been correct so far.

He can block great and run a good slant route and that's about it. He can't get into and out of breaks with any consistency. He drifts and doesn't get his head around. Doesn't track the ball well or win 50/50 battles. More importantly, Lamar doesn't trust him. They have zero chemistry. He's an athlete trying to play football. Your 40 time and height doesn't matter if you don't use them. He's all over the place even when he has a step on a DB.

Glad EDC has shown he's open to bringing in a WR. We should be able to trade for one because there are many available at different salaries and trade compensations on bad teams. Detroit stands out. Golladay and Marvin Jones are both in their last year with cheap salaries.

• You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan and GabeFerguson like this

#585 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 October 2020 - 08:49 PM

I have rewatched the game a time and a half tonight, and I really do not think it was who got the carries, but Why there were not more.

I thought Ingram ran well today.   We got an early lead and from the jump, it was easy Burrow was confused and today, no match for the defense,

We should have pounded them after 17-0/

Lamar was locked on just 2 receivers the whole game.  

@mikeghg

#586 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 October 2020 - 08:50 PM

I do think we will see a new receiver after the bye week.

@mikeghg

#587 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 09:11 PM

Golladay is my top choice, and I'd extend him. He is an absolute beast.

I'd also inquire about Michael Gallup, who appears to have lost his targets to Ceedee Lamb

Other possibilities...

T.Y. Hilton?
Adam Thielen?
Jamison Crowder?

#588 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 09:42 PM

I am also confused and discouraged why they’re not running more. Everything this offense does starts with the run game. Lamar is not going to win a lot of shootouts. This is obvious by now.
  • kudzu likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#589 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 07:09 AM

I am also confused and discouraged why they’re not running more. Everything this offense does starts with the run game. Lamar is not going to win a lot of shootouts. This is obvious by now.

Yesterday, especially after building that 17-0 lead, would have been the perfect time to just pound the ground and wear the Bengals down.  I really thought we were going to see that in the 2nd half but Jackson just kept on throwing.  Roman keeps trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole just to prove Lamar has progressed into a lethal downfield passer.  He hasn't.  If anything, he looks like he's regressed to me.  Not to mention, pass protection so far this year has been poor and Jackson's been stubborn to hang in the pocket longer.  I don't know when the wake up call is coming but maybe we'll see it in Philly. 

• Mike B and JStruds like this

#590 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:16 AM

https://baltimore.cb...s-bengals-game/

#591 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:23 AM

Yesterday, especially after building that 17-0 lead, would have been the perfect time to just pound the ground and wear the Bengals down.  I really thought we were going to see that in the 2nd half but Jackson just kept on throwing.  Roman keeps trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole just to prove Lamar has progressed into a lethal downfield passer.  He hasn't.  If anything, he looks like he's regressed to me.  Not to mention, pass protection so far this year has been poor and Jackson's been stubborn to hang in the pocket longer.  I don't know when the wake up call is coming but maybe we'll see it in Philly. 

I mentioned earlier, they should have run the ball after getting to the 17 point lead and to me it should have been clear.  Wink and the defense clearly got in Burrow's head.  He was done and their offense was done very early on.  They had one chance, to score and that is if we made mistakes and gave them the ball on the short field.  We threw 28 times in the first half.  Ingram was running well and JK and Gus had some nice runs.  It should have been clear.

Clearly Lamar was not good yesterday.  The Oline is part of it, only throwing to 2 receivers, IMO is a larger part.  He is a great player and will figure it out, but yesterday was not good and IMO, it was on Lamar and the play calling.

@mikeghg

#592 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,401 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:27 AM

Full transparency. I missed most of the KC game and then had no desire to watch it back after seeing the final score. That said, yesterday was the worst Ive seen Lamar play since the LA playoff game. Probably 2nd to the LA game for his whole career. Some of the '18 games are a bit of a blur.

#593 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:02 PM

The good yesterday, was the defense.  Great performance.  Wink called off the dogs in the 4th or it would have been a shut out.  

Patrick Queen DPOW??

The kid was good yesterday, very good..

@mikeghg

#594 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 02:22 PM

The good yesterday, was the defense.  Great performance.  Wink called off the dogs in the 4th or it would have been a shut out.  

Patrick Queen DPOW??

Just watched the recording of the game and yes, Queen looked good.  He just needs to add some muscle to his frame and get some experience and we could be looking at the next All-Pro middle linebacker for the Ravens.  People have to remember that he didn't have all that much time at his position at LSU either.  Overall, that's the most intense I've seen the defense this year.  Constant pressure and they were all over the field, gang tackling in a relentless way that reminded me of some of the greatest Raven defenses.  

#595 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 02:32 PM

I mentioned earlier, they should have run the ball after getting to the 17 point lead and to me it should have been clear.  Wink and the defense clearly got in Burrow's head.  He was done and their offense was done very early on.  They had one chance, to score and that is if we made mistakes and gave them the ball on the short field.  We threw 28 times in the first half.  Ingram was running well and JK and Gus had some nice runs.  It should have been clear.

Clearly Lamar was not good yesterday.  The Oline is part of it, only throwing to 2 receivers, IMO is a larger part.  He is a great player and will figure it out, but yesterday was not good and IMO, it was on Lamar and the play calling.

After shattering the all time rushing record for quarterbacks, I really think Lamar was determined to be much more of a pocket passer this year and take more shots downfield.  Unfortunately, Roman and the rest of the staff, including Harbaugh, must have bought into the plan too.  It's not working.  People forget that Lamar had inconsistent pass blocking last year also but made teams pay for it by breaking containment and picking up huge chunks of yards.  He's clearly not doing that this year by choice.  Instead of trying to be another Patrick Mahomes, how about just be Lamar Jackson?  And it's not helping that he obviously wasn't 100% coming out of camp.  Hopefully, after the bye and he's had a chance to heal, we'll see the old Lamar down the stretch run. 

#596 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,401 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 03:36 PM

It was pretty clear watching yesterday he just doesnt have the escapability he had last year. I noted in the game thread that he was statuesque in the pocket yesterday. He's clearly still better than say Rivers but he's nowhere close to normal.

#597 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:35 PM

He's an old 23. Time to trade him before the league catches on.

:)
  • Mike in STL likes this

#598 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:37 PM

The good yesterday, was the defense. Great performance. Wink called off the dogs in the 4th or it would have been a shut out.

Patrick Queen DPOW??

Queen definitely redeemed his questionable play in the prior 3 weeks. The kid is a phenomenal blitzer. And he can flat out fly. Once he learns this defense fully, and understands coverages, he is going to be a stud.

#599 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,401 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:46 PM

He's an old 23. Time to trade him before the league catches on.

:)

Sam Darnold. We'd probably have to give up a draft pick though

#600 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:53 PM

Wink not at all pleased with the FG to avoid the shutout last Sunday...

Ravens defensive coordinator Don "Wink" Martindale expressed anger when the Bengals kicked a late field goal to avoid a shutout in Baltimore's 27-3 victory Sunday.

With Cincinnati trailing 27-0, Bengals coach Zac Taylor chose to kick a 38-yard field goal with 37 seconds left in the game. It marked only the fifth time since the 1970 merger that a team kicked a field goal in the final minute to avoid a shutout, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Asked for his reaction when the Bengals kicked the field goal, Martindale said Thursday, "He knew what it was because it was awful quiet when I yelled it across the field. There are some people that take that as a victory. We'll see. We'll have plenty to talk about the next time we play them."

https://www.espn.com...g-avoid-shutout

• Mike in STL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=